You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Satch - Unstoppable Momentum

RaZor wrote:

Instrumental rock guitar maestro (and Chickenfoot guitarist) Joe Satriani is releasing a new album titled ‘Unstoppable Momentum’ on May 7, and from the sound of its first single, ‘A Door Into Summer,’ it’s going to be a classic slice of what he does best.
‘A Door Into Summer’ kicks off with a moody pipe organ chord before launching into a heavy main riff that’s so accessible, it sounds like it could have been the basis of a late-’80s Winger song. Satriani uses a bright tone for a melody line over the top of that for the verse, which shows him in his restrained, the-guitar-is-singing-the-song approach that characterized past Satriani classics like ‘Always With Me, Always With You.’
But at the two-minute mark he departs dramatically from that for a lengthy shredding solo that employs an artful combination of speed chops, tone and unusual phrasing before settling into a cool twin-guitar harmony line that takes the song back to the main riff.
It’s nice to see Satriani adhering so doggedly to the kind of style that serves his talents best, instead of attempting to adapt to a changing marketplace by altering his approach. That’s bound not to please everyone — for instance, if you’re one of those people who think that instrumental guitar music is just a bunch of meaningless, egocentric wankery, well, you’re probably still gonna think that after listening to ‘A Door Into Summer.’
But for fans of Satriani’s past work, there ought to be more than enough of a balance between straight composition and showy guitar chops here to spark your interest.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-satr … to-summer/

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Anyone else looking forward to this?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I don't any Satch albums aside from Surfing with the Alien, but I really like that album, so maybe I should check this out too.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I really dig his playing in Chickenfoot too. He should've joined a rock band years ago. Solo guitar instrumental albums are definitely a niche market.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

I only have one too, a live one called Satchurated. Pretty good, and 30 of his best tracks for $10, not bad.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

And hell yeah, chickenfoot rocks.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m … mID=189505

JOE SATRIANI: Entire New Album Available For Streaming

Joe Satriani, the incomparable guitar aficionado, will release his 14th studio album, "Unstoppable Momentum", on May 7 through Epic Records. You can now listen to the entire CDD before it is released, exclusively at MSN Music's Listening Booth, at this location - http://entimg.s-msn.com/i/asx/audio_str … mentum.asx

Produced by Satriani and Mike Fraser (AC/DC), "Unstoppable Momentum" features an amazing array of talented players, including Vinnie Colauita (STING, JEFF BECK) on drums, Chris Chaney (JANE'S ADDICTION) on bass and on keyboards, Mike Keneally (DETHKLOK). All band members and Satriani are featured in various stages of the sessions.

Fans are encouraged to pre-order "Unstoppable Momentum" via Sony Music and Satriani's own website store. When pre-ordering through the Epic Records store, fans will be given the chance to bundle new signed copies of the album with exclusive t-shirts and guitar straps. At Satriani.com, fans will receive an exclusive, never-before-seen art book featuring years of drawings, doodles and sketches that Satriani has done over the years.

"Some of my drawings have made their way on to guitars, straps and picks, LP and CD booklets, t-shirts, hats, keychains, etc…and even my live stage productions," explains Satriani. "This book represents my first effort to finally compile my oddly drawn friends into one place, a wildly colorful portfolio of sorts. A collection of drawings meant to inspire and entertain."

After returning from the South American G3 tour last October, Satriani got down to writing new music over the next two months. As he recalls, "A very prolific and cathartic two months followed resulting in a bundle of new music I was very excited to get recorded!"

Eleven songs were selected to record, all "heading in different directions and touching on a variety of musical influences." With that in mind, Satriani decided to assemble a new studio band. "The idea was to crank up the energy level of the sessions, and allow for more individual expression of the material from each player. The chemistry with Mike, Chris and Vinnie was fantastic and we blazed through all of the tracks with everyone laying down amazing performances."

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Just listened to the new album on grooveshark, pretty bad ass. I'm kind of on the fence on if I'm going to buy it though.  I already have that live album with 25 tracks on it, I don't know if I really need another 11 tracks of instrumental rock.  lol.   The man is going to be in NYC in September, might go check him out live.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Not sure where you are from Razor...but at least for Alex...here at Jb Hi Fi I picked up a satch 5 pack for $19.95

It's got the full albums of:

Not of This Earth
Flying in a Blue Dream
The Extremist
Joe Satriani (self titled)
Crystal Planet

all for $19...

I'm actually going to try to work out how to digest it too...as that 65 new instrumental rock songs lol.....

Keen to have a listen to Unstoppable Momentum as well though. Satch is  mother of a player...though I do wish he'd done something like chickenfoot sooner...as while I like some instrumental tracks...I prefer full band with vocals stuff.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Wow, great deal dude. I'm States side so I can't take advantage, but I'll have to keep an eye out for a deal like that here.

Board footer