You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Eddie Trunk on Chinese Democracy

AtariLegend wrote:

I wonder what size/quanity this material is in...?

Is it one album with 13 tracks that, 9 of which we heard years ago, cause then it would prove un-profitable for $13 million, one might guess.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I wonder what size/quanity this material is in...?

Is it one album with 13 tracks that, 9 of which we heard years ago, cause then it would prove un-profitable for $13 million, one might guess.

Merck said that all the songs played on the tour would be on the album back in 06. Riyadh was on the setlist so add that as well.

This isn't a pretty picture.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

James, your point about the leak is great. I think we get it this year with or without Axl. We know there are people smart enough and I know there are people on these forums working as we speak to get the rest of the album. It's only a matter of time. If Axl and Uni want to make ANY money off this, they better release it before we get our hands on the leaked version.

What do I care? I'm probably gonna be a downloading motherfucker, and I'm not one of those people that says I'll buy it but really download it. I'll own up.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, respectfully, what Merck said in 2006 is utterly meaningless. Until the recording is complete and the material handed in, there are only ideas for tracklisting. The record company has a huge say in what the final tracklist could be. If any of these knuckleheads were intelligent and assuming their is multiple albums of material, don't release but one or two of the songs that were leaked or played live. Blind side the entire fanbase. 19

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

James, respectfully, what Merck said in 2006 is utterly meaningless. Until the recording is complete and the material handed in, there are only ideas for tracklisting. The record company has a huge say in what the final tracklist could be. If any of these knuckleheads were intelligent and assuming their is multiple albums of material, don't release but one or two of the songs that were leaked or played live. Blind side the entire fanbase. 19

Well, considering he's been playing the same tracks for almost a decade, I think its safe to say they will be on the album. Even if there's 10 albums to work with, we are obviously dealing with the cream of the crop here. You don't do 3 comeback attempts with virtually the same tracks(add a few 06 leaks) if its not based on some of your best material.

I agree that nothing is set in stone until the album is ready to launch, but surely you don't really think CD is going to be comprised of mostly unheard tracks.

I wish I was a fly on the wall if/when Axl handed the album in.

Axl: Here's the album.

Uni rep: Wait a minute...I heard these songs in 2001.

I know a lot of people believe in it, but I never really bought the whole trilogy thing. Uni tells him to go back to the drawing board in 01(Axl admitted this), and here we are in 2008 and those same songs are still in play.

This insane wait is going to play a role in this album's downfall, and we are starting to see some of the repercussions already.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

Here's what I posted on another forum. I have a close friend in the business, which is where I get this from.

-

Let's try the whole "Bucketfoot" insight volume two without my hilarious slurs.

Okay so lets just say as jumping off point the recording of Chinese Democracy has cost $20 million bucks.

Lets say promotion, etc. takes 3.5 million. That's a net of $23.5 Million spent on the album in general. It costs something like $100,000 for radio at most for a pretty serious campaign and about $500,000 for a primetime spot for a commercial. So, hey, we'll just assume a cool 3.5.

Say the album sells 4 million copies. Roughly $12 bucks a pop, there's $48 million dollars. Who knows how it's distributed because different people on the album in the past, but we'll assume generality for brevity's sake. Usually around 15-20% but depends on Uncle Axl's contract. I don't know if there is an individual clause for each member or just an even distribution of the money given to the band.

So assuming this, $48 million dollars from CD Sales. Lets say that the band earns 17.5% from the album sales. Then there's a high tax on the earning, so after taxes the band gets about $3,360,000. Split 8 ways you have $420,000 for each member not even including other artists who have worked on the album. Whether their one-time costs are apart of the "recording costs" or not remains to be seen. The band makes most of it's money from touring anyway. I doubt Bumblefoot is going to cry if he only pulls in half a mill. Probably get him some good protection from Dark Angel.  rofl

That may seem slim, but this is a low number of 4 Million. Honestly, I think Chinese Democracy can hit 12 million worldwide, but hey that's me. So assuming that the record company gets 50% of this number in profit at the same 40% tax (I'm not certain if the tax on the record company differs, but I know artist tax is typically 40%). That would mean they pull in 9.6 Million.

If the album sells 8 million, the record company will get around 19.2 Million. Stadium Arcadium sold about 7 million just for reference. So assuming Chinese Democracy can sell 8 million copies, that's a deficit of 4.3 million bucks. This doesn't even include profit received from merchandising, touring, etc.

So yes, there are a lot of costs involved. Can they be overcome? Yes.

James

James wrote:

Bumblefoot has nothing to cry about. Buckethead set up the gravy train before his departure.

The album will not sell 8 million, and you're applying way too much money to CD sales. Axl/GNR/Uni do not get all that money. Uni gets about half, and will distribute whatever Axl/GNR's take is, which isn't going to be a lot.

Either way you slice it, this isn't turning a profit. More money has to be dumped into this just to get it released.

Uni doesn't give a fuck about touring and merchandise because they get none of that.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, I don't believe the whole trilogy thing either. I do believe he recorded 30-40 tracks for the chinese democracy sessions-he said himself in Mar 06 that he was working on 32 songs-then you have the Bach comments about 4 albums worth of material. Which means, until there is a final tracklist, all songs recorded are fair game. In the end, I think we will get 6 songs we have already heard and the rest will be unheard stuff. Obviously, that is just a guess. As far as sales go, I don't think we have any real idea of what will happen until a single hits the radio.:ummm:

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

The album will not sell 8 million

If Linkin Park can do that in the US alone, why is it impossible for Guns N' Roses to sell 8 million World Wide... ?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

you forgot overhead costs as well....unless jimmy iovine is gonna go in ther himself on weekends to press cd's and print the booklets 16

Board footer