You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bob Ezrin talks Axl and Chinese

monkeychow wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

Thinking about this, a lot of what Ezrin is saying is damn close to what Rick Rubin said when he was turned away from producing what would become Libertad.  It's pretty telling that both sides of the GNR coin weren't willing to compromise even if it was in their best interest.

Great point...very interesting comparison.

I wonder why?

I guess it's hard when you've broken the mould before. Like on the way up - everyone would have been telling GNR as kids they'd never make it, that they had to change and so on, and then doing it their way smashed it out of the park, so it's probably hard to then sit back and listen to someone tell you that you need to do more.

But i also think with VR, the conflict in the band maybe made it easier to just push on than start over, and who knows with Axl...maybe he just needed to get it done finally.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Guitars on UYIs are n`t sharp, they sound very muddy, Izzy`s parts are terrribly missing, Slash overdubbed him plus Matt`s drums sound dated reverb did n`t help him either. Axl used too much synths and effects on his vocals prime examples being Locomotive and Pretty Tied Up.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Izzys parts are missing, because it's known some of his takes weren't up to scratch, so Slash re-did them.

I'd like to know what version of UYI you're listening to, because on the version I have, the guitars are anything but muddy. Sounds nice and clear to me

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I guess a modern album like "Black Gives Way to Blue" or something would have that modern drum sound all the hard rock uses these days....but that's not going to happen back in 1991...other than that I don't think the drums are dated....whats the problem with them? I think most of matts drumming really adds to the songs.

Lomax wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Izzys parts are missing, because it's known some of his takes weren't up to scratch, so Slash re-did them.

I'd like to know what version of UYI you're listening to, because on the version I have, the guitars are anything but muddy. Sounds nice and clear to me

It's not that clear. Slash's and Izzy's tones are very bass heavy. Nobody would ever describe the guitar parts on a GNR album post CD as clear. It's not an insult, no need to freak about it, it's just the way it sounds. In my opinion it's that lack of clarity that makes Izzy and Slash gel so well on that record. Every time you listen you hear different things in the mess.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
Riad wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

It's not that clear. Slash's and Izzy's tones are very bass heavy. Nobody would ever describe the guitar parts on a GNR album post CD as clear. It's not an insult, no need to freak about it, it's just the way it sounds. In my opinion it's that lack of clarity that makes Izzy and Slash gel so well on that record. Every time you listen you hear different things in the mess.

All of this, UYIs miss dual guitar attack that`s what made AFD sonically interesting not songs. On Appetite Slash and Izzy riffed their asses off it was iike competition and it sounded great but on Illusions Izzy`s guitar was, at best, very low in the mix and at worst, completely overdubbed by Slash.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Slash had to do most of his parts since if Izzy showed up it was usually with some crappy 8 track recording (which he felt was more than good enough lol).

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Pretty accurate

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The dueling guitar parts are still there.  Locomotive is a perfect example.  I think they just don't sound dueling to the untrained ear because the same guitar is playing both parts.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The dueling guitar parts are still there.  Locomotive is a perfect example.  I think they just don't sound dueling to the untrained ear because the same guitar is playing both parts.

Your perfect example is a Slash only song. Izzy doesn't play on Locomtive, it's all Slash.

Board footer