You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Curious Sorry/Shackler mention

Son of a Gun wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

wtf, Pitman is cowriter with Axl on Madagascar and If The World...Pitman has been there since 1998...and why fuck Finck? He has writing credits on 7 songs plus some pretty killer guitar parts on Better, TWAT, IRS, ET...ACTUALLY the whole fuckin album outside a few songs.

As far as I know, Finck has only one writing credit on  " Better " as good as his guitar work on that song is, something tells me that it would be much better with just Bucket on lead guitar same goes to the whole album. As for Pitman, yes, he has credit on " Madagascar " but I consider it moslty an Axl song. According to official booklet, Axl came up with that horn intro on synthesizers so, I don`t understand why did Pitman get credit for it. "If the World" is weak except Bucket`s solo. I don`t get what the hell is he doing in the band. I appriciate his work in " Lusk " but his place is n`t in GNR there already is one keyboardist, there`s no need for another.

gotta get your facts straight before coming here...writing credits have been discussed before...legally Finck has 7 credits...
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7377&p=1

Still does n`t change my opinion about Finck.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I can't stand Finck as a guitar player, but he came closer to fitting GnR than Bucket ever did.  Bucket is infinitely more talented than Finck, but he doesn't fit in a blues based rock band or an Elton John/Freddie Mercury wannabe big ballad band.  He had a couple solo contributions that were pretty good to great, but outside of that, his talents were pretty much wasted in Axl's band.  When his big contribution is the absolute worst song on the album (Shackler's), that says everything you need to know about BH and him being key to the band's success.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:

Shackler`s verses and chorus kick major ass it`s Ron`s solo that sucks and Axl did n`t want to make old, tired, rehashed and stale Blues based Rock back then.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Shackler`s verses and chorus kick major ass it`s Ron`s solo that sucks and Axl did n`t want to make old, tired, rehashed and stale Blues based Rock back then.

Maybe if you don't know anything about music.  The whole song blows in its entirety.  There is nothing good about it.  There is nothing average about it.  Even Axl manages to suck on it. 

It's a giant pile of crap that turned off pretty much every moderate GnR fan.  Maybe if they buried it at the end of the album it wouldn't have been so bad, but I recall the streams on myspace (or wherever it was) dropping off considerably after Shackler's.  That wasn't because they were rushing out to buy the album due to the song's awesomeness.  There's nothing wrong with liking it - that's fine.  To deny the fact that it was not at all appealing to the general public is naïve at best.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Maybe if you don't know anything about music.  The whole song blows in its entirety.  There is nothing good about it.  There is nothing average about it.  Even Axl manages to suck on it. 

It's a giant pile of crap that turned off pretty much every moderate GnR fan.  Maybe if they buried it at the end of the album it wouldn't have been so bad, but I recall the streams on myspace (or wherever it was) dropping off considerably after Shackler's.  That wasn't because they were rushing out to buy the album due to the song's awesomeness.  There's nothing wrong with liking it - that's fine.  To deny the fact that it was not at all appealing to the general public is naïve at best.

Oh, fuck , not this bitter rambling again. Did I say it was perfect ? no, did I say it was the best Rock song ever recorded ?  no, Is it as shit as bitter ex fans such as yourself make it out to be ? again, the answer is no. Dude, nowhere in my post did I say that it appealed to GNR " fanbase " ( most of them were and are bitter mulletheads anyway who dismiss everything that`s not Blues based Rock cliche trash ) please don`t twist my words. All I said was, it is n`t as shitty song as mulletheads make it out to be. You read way too much between the lines. I don`t give a shit if fanbase was turned off by it or not, I enjoy that song and that`s what matters to me. You don`t have an idea what I know or don`t know about music so calm the fuck down please and don`t get all hysterical and worked up.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

I have a pretty good idea based on what you think is good.  It's you that's getting worked up.  I'm sitting here chuckling at you. 

I'm pretty sure I even said it was fine if you enjoyed the song.  No need to get your panties in a wad because nobody agrees with you.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

So basically EVERY song is from 99-01?

I don't remember if sic answered this in Chinese Whispers but what became of the so called interludes that Stinson and Fortus mentioned working on in mid 2005? Not on the album obviously but if the ONLY contributions to the CD sessions after 01-02 are those "interludes"(2005) and Ron and Frank's needless additions(late 06-07), it says a lot about the work ethic and lack of chemistry after the 99 and 01 recording sessions. Also not surprising that the 2008-13 lineup has accomplished nothing music wise.

Say what you want about Bucket but as each nugget of info trickles out it becomes even more obvious that new GNR essentially imploded after he left.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Better 03/04 period

What? What info is there that dates this song to that period? The CD train had already derailed at that point.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I have a pretty good idea based on what you think is good.  It's you that's getting worked up.  I'm sitting here chuckling at you. 

I'm pretty sure I even said it was fine if you enjoyed the song.  No need to get your panties in a wad because nobody agrees with you.

LOL fucking irony deteched. Carry on being bitter don`t want to piss in your cornflakes.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Part of this discussion is always going to come back to the decision to re-brand the band after they hit jackpot 3 times already.

It's like if porsche wanted to re-position themselves as a cheap fun disposable ride for the newly-licensed. Sorry that's not who you are to most people. You're a luxury car that's sporty and built with impeccable engineering. It wouldn't matter how spot on they nail the disposable car it's not going to be a porsche to most people.

GNR was a hard rock band, with a contemporary style but that incorporated elements of classic rock, punk and a little pop. They were seen as successors to The Rolling Stones, the development of Aerosmith. That's what they are to people. A hard rock band with some softer numbers. You can't go and suddenly turn them into NiN, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson or worse - experimental music like bucket-head and such things without expecting some fallout. It's not that those other styles are bad at all - they're great - but they're not classic rock.

Shackler's Revenge is a good fun song for the genre that it is written for, it's not however, an ideal song as the follow up to You Could Be Mine or Paradise City in the public consciousness.

The problem with CD isn't that the songs are bad at all, it's that there's an idea of what GNR was and is to the record company and the public, and CD is a great album of cool songs that don't match that idea.

Board footer