You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Your Opinions on a Axl/Slash Reconciliation

Neemo wrote:

Without all 5 of them afd never happen period

Duff has some amazing memorable bass lines

And Steven brought a loose sloppiness to izzys sleazy rhythm and riffs...axl and izzy together came up with some amazing lyrics and slash brought some cutting edge awesome lead guitar playing mixing classic and (at the time) modern lead guitar licks and riffs

With matt in the mix they became more hard rock but lost a bit of that sleezy rock sound that u hear on afd and lies

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but what's bucket going to do in a rock band like GNR?

He writes in an avant garde style that rarely suits lyrics or classic rock structures.

Even amongst his own work of 40 whatever albums there's only a few tracks that I think could be adapted to GNR epics - something like soothsayer or nottingham lace, but even those would need some heavy mods to work with Axl.

All he can do is what he did - import the occasional bizzare structure change, a few kill-switchy riffs in places, and a couple of terrifying-to-try-and-play shred solos.

He's great but it doesn't suit the band IMO unless Axl wants to move entirely away from recording rock music which isn't what most people wish he'd do.

To me the solo works suggest new works would have been great. TIL or TWAT with Slash would be just like UYI, likewise Anastasia or By the Sword with Axl would be very GNR worthy imo.

Sad it doesn't happen. But if it's not going to - I think the best course of action is for Axl to write some songs with DJ and Co - while they're different to old GNR they do sound great together, and Slash can keep writing with myles and we get two great bands.

You are n`t familiar with Bucket`s material are you ? Writing songs with DJ and Co ? : facepalm album from this lineup will sound like Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures type shit with tasteless shredding from Ron and some keyboard parts from Dizzy here and there. I`ve been saying this for a while and I think it`s close to truth Axl won`t write music with current incamation.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I dunno, maybe it is just me but I think Axl and Slash both need Izzy to even remotely create something magical again. Sure they might write an "epic" tune or two but for it ever to work again they need the middle man, the glue, the soul. Mr. Stradlin.

Izzy was good at laying foundations of songs that`s it I struggle to find 14 good songs from his solo stuff. his myth and importance is exeggarated.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Without all 5 of them afd never happen period

Duff has some amazing memorable bass lines

And Steven brought a loose sloppiness to izzys sleazy rhythm and riffs...axl and izzy together came up with some amazing lyrics and slash brought some cutting edge awesome lead guitar playing mixing classic and (at the time) modern lead guitar licks and riffs

With matt in the mix they became more hard rock but lost a bit of that sleezy rock sound that u hear on afd and lies

With Matt they became more Heavy Metal than Hard Rock and personally, I`ll take him over Steven any day of the week not that I`m big fan of Matt but Steven`s dated, cheesy, hair metal playing never did it for me.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

You are n`t familiar with Bucket`s material are you ?

Well it's hard to be as it's utterly unapproachable to the mainstream audience.

He releases like 15 albums a year and it's 90% instrumental unless you count the samples as vocals.

I've probably got around 10 of his records, and they're great playing, but there's nothing there that would be easily transferable to a release that would sit with any of the GNR back catalogue or even CD to be honest. Even as a new direction for GNR it's unlikely to create anything that would sit well with conventional rock fans.

I'm a guitarist and listen to a lot of instrumental guitar stuff as well as rock but it's just very hard to get into. I respect his skills as a guitarist - but style wise - his playing is not for GNR imo.

Son of a Gun wrote:

Writing songs with DJ and Co ? : facepalm album from this lineup will sound like Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures type shit with tasteless shredding from Ron and some keyboard parts from Dizzy here and there. I`ve been saying this for a while and I think it`s close to truth Axl won`t write music with current incamation.

yeah but he also stopped writing with the old guys. It's why GNR fell apart fundamentally. He rejected all their songs and is never satisfied with his own. In 20 years he's put out what 15 songs total? Despite having a huge budget and at least initially his choice of world class talent to work with. Even know he has a band of accomplished players who are chomping at the bit to record but it's a miracle to even get a new old song back in the setlist let alone record anything. It's obviously become a psychological block of some kind for him, and that seems to be about Axl himself not who he has in the band IMO.

I enjoy Sixx AM - but it's the  blend of DJ with Nicky Sixx. Not to inslut motley crue passively as I enjoy some of their stuff...but I think a blend of DJ with Axl would be much better, as Axl's a far better songwriter than Nicky in an artistic sense. Just like GNR's songs are better than Motley's...I think DJ+Axl if Axl didn't have this block against releasing stuff could be great.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

You are n`t familiar with Bucket`s material are you ?

Well it's hard to be as it's utterly unapproachable to the mainstream audience.

He releases like 15 albums a year and it's 90% instrumental unless you count the samples as vocals.

I've probably got around 10 of his records, and they're great playing, but there's nothing there that would be easily transferable to a release that would sit with any of the GNR back catalogue or even CD to be honest. Even as a new direction for GNR it's unlikely to create anything that would sit well with conventional rock fans.

I'm a guitarist and listen to a lot of instrumental guitar stuff as well as rock but it's just very hard to get into. I respect his skills as a guitarist - but style wise - his playing is not for GNR imo.

Son of a Gun wrote:

Writing songs with DJ and Co ? : facepalm album from this lineup will sound like Sixx AM and Beautiful Creatures type shit with tasteless shredding from Ron and some keyboard parts from Dizzy here and there. I`ve been saying this for a while and I think it`s close to truth Axl won`t write music with current incamation.

yeah but he also stopped writing with the old guys. It's why GNR fell apart fundamentally. He rejected all their songs and is never satisfied with his own. In 20 years he's put out what 15 songs total? Despite having a huge budget and at least initially his choice of world class talent to work with. Even know he has a band of accomplished players who are chomping at the bit to record but it's a miracle to even get a new old song back in the setlist let alone record anything. It's obviously become a psychological block of some kind for him, and that seems to be about Axl himself not who he has in the band IMO.

I enjoy Sixx AM - but it's the  blend of DJ with Nicky Sixx. Not to inslut motley crue passively as I enjoy some of their stuff...but I think a blend of DJ with Axl would be much better, as Axl's a far better songwriter than Nicky in an artistic sense. Just like GNR's songs are better than Motley's...I think DJ+Axl if Axl didn't have this block against releasing stuff could be great.

Long story short, he does n`t have motivation and is n`t inspired to write music when he had drive and inspiration he released 4 albums in 4 years. I don`t have a doubt that Axl`s parts his vocal melodies, lyrics and arrangements will be amazing on new album ( if it ever materialises ) it`s just guitar work will be very underwhelming just like Chinese Democracy too much Finck and not enough Buckethead. As for Bucket, dude, pike series would be mindblowing as GNR albums with Axl`s input.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

People keep saying that "By The Sword with Axl would be GN'R worthy," which rather overlooks the fact that Andrew Stockdale made changes to the riff and chorus. "By The Sword with Axl" would be a completely different song.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

And if Axl would suggest such changes Slash wouldn't be open to them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Slash waited 2+ years for Axl to make his UYI changes.  Then when it seemed it was going to be even longer next album he got sick of it. The 15 year wait for CD followed by 5 years of nothing now suggests he might have a point.

So recapping....

By The Sword is only a good song because of Stockdale

GNR songs are only good because of Izzy

Anastasia wouldn't be good even if it had someone else other than myles....

The industry now recognises Slash as one of the ALL TIME greatest guitarists....but around here it's like people work hard to minimise and devalue what he does.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Slash waited 2+ years for Axl to make his UYI changes.  Then when it seemed it was going to be even longer next album he got sick of it. The 15 year wait for CD followed by 5 years of nothing now suggests he might have a point.

So recapping....

By The Sword is only a good song because of Stockdale

GNR songs are only good because of Izzy

Anastasia wouldn't be good even if it had someone else other than myles....

The industry now recognises Slash as one of the ALL TIME greatest guitarists....but around here it's like people work hard to minimise and devalue what he does.

THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M SAYING. People keep talking about "an Axl version of By The Sword" like it's a simple case of cutting Stockdale out and pasting Axl lyrics over the existing guitar parts, as would've been the case with the old Snakepit riffs. But BTS was co-written with Stockdale and the chord structure/riff altered in the process – an Axl version would be based on the original track that Slash sent over to Stockdale. It would be an entirely different song. And we don't know what that early version of the By The Sword backing track sounded like.

Board footer