You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Breakng Bad/Better Call Saul

Axlin16 wrote:

The Sopranos is only beloved by media nutjobs, and RECENT ERA people that still remember the series.

Miami Vice movie (stacked with stars and tons of promo) and do a Sopranos movie before Gandolfini's death (packed with stars promo)

Guarantee you Vice does bigger BO, and Sopranos gets nominated for a Oscar for nothing.

The last two seasons of the Sopranos sucked massive dick.

Shield was the best crime drama on television up 'til its final episode.

I would also argue more people fondly remember Hill Street Blues & NYPD Blue and even Law & Order (even though there I would agree--total crap), than The Sopranos.

The Sopranos might be one of the great TV series of all-time, but the last two seasons of the show were bloody fucking awful. It coasted on it, BECAUSE of the fact the first four seasons were some of the best television of all-time.

The Shield was consistent from top-to-bottom. Show got better and better from season to season. Breaking Bad is very good, but I still stand by it not being even in the ballpark of The Sopranos, even if I think Cranston is a better actor than Gandolfini.

Again you are also seperating writing from entertainment. The Sopranos was brilliantly written, and I would be amazed what a talented director like Scorsese or Michael Mann would've done with the material. But Tim Van fucking Patten wasn't it. The Sopranos on many occasions was held by back the restraints of television, rather than living in the confines of television. I can think of a million shows more entertaining than The Sopranos.

All of these people that jack their fucking dicks do the "art" that was The Sopranos... yeah okay. Overhyped are we? One of the most unique crime dramas on TV? Sure so what? Crime Story was one of the most unique crime dramas ever on TV too, and you don't see the love affair for it, other than David Chase and the actors on the actual show citing it as an influence... but it's crap right? 'Cause it's not called The Sopranos.

I could call 'Dallas' -- "The Sopranos" right now, and it'd get 10 million viewers an episode over the next five years alone just because. Not out of loyalty, because of hype.

This is getting real. I am telling you something NO ONE ELSE will tell you. Not out of stupidity, but out of honesty. The Sopranos was a media-created cultural hit. Great show, but garbage and a parody of itself in it's last two seasons, no different than Vice. Same fucking thing, same fucking difference, and that 'shit the bed' series finale was the cum on the cake. David Chase's ego and arrogance all over it.

Had they called it a day after Season 4, I might be typing here today calling it the greatest crime drama TV series ever. But they didn't, so... fuck 'em.

johndivney wrote:

I'm embarrassed for you.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I've never seen a single episode of The Sopranos.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Are you kidding me?! 14

For me that's the equivalent of never having had a tasty steak.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

You really should D. That's like never seeing an Episode of The Wire. You're only hurting yourself.

johndivney wrote:

So Better Call Saul off to a decent start I thought. These comedy guys have a tough time at the drama but when the pace picks up so does the entertainment. Slow, understated opening but potential for fun tv when they're doing their silly plans, like most good tv shows..

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Worth checking out? I missed the first one Sunday.

johndivney wrote:

You know the drill, guy gets into tight spot & has to concoct crazy plan or sweet talk his way out of it. It's good. Bit over reliant on breaking bad ties atm but seems to have enough about it to stand on its own by seasons end. It's already building nicely.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
-D- wrote:

I've never seen a single episode of The Sopranos.

I feel sorry for you D.... Amazing series despite what Axlin16 tells you.... 

True Detective and Sopranos... Maybe best two cable series ever.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, I agree about the series finale.... WTF bullshit was that.  At the time I was convinced the fucker left the back door open for a movie.  But he one didn't happen.  I hated the lack of closure..

Board footer