You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Wonder who we will be fighting in 10-20 years?

Neemo wrote:

Bush's gotta pay for the war somehow i guess 17 didnt the US sell weapons to Iraq as well back in Bush Sr.'s day?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Bush's gotta pay for the war somehow i guess 17 didnt the US sell weapons to Iraq as well back in Bush Sr.'s day?

Yeah, during the Iran-Iraq war in the mid-80's. That actually involved the whole Iran Contra affair with Oliver North.  I saw a list of things tied into the middle east & it's just such a mess. Things you do one year, look like a terrible decision 3 years later. Funny too, because there's actually footage of Donald Rumsfeld shaking Saddam Hussein's hand in 1982, and I think that was the year which the slayings occured which he was convicted and executed for.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Out of curiosity how much does the US spend on research into oil alternative research each year, cause it won't be around forever even with a few discounts from Saudi Arabia....

E85 is the new 'future' thing. Hopefully it works, because it's made out of corn oil. So American Farmers could grow it and convert it into oil. Some cars are able to run off of both it & regular gas. I think all GM's can (Chevy Pontiac Caddy Buick etc) or at least alot of them. There was something on 60 minutes about it. And there were these farmers who pooled there money togehter & mortgaged their farms. The had a refinery built & it converts corn into E85 fuel. Apparently it's been really successful for them, as they are one of a few who make it, so I give them alot of credit for taking such a risk.

E85 is more costly and pollutive than standard gasoline.  E85 is not the answer to our problems.  While you're absolutely correct about Corn being subsidized now (something I disagree with) it would no longer be and prices would skyrocket (as the case in mexico) if it became a major source of fuel.  Just imagine what would happen if drought or famine struck the midwest?

I fully support the use of nuclear power for the majority of our power needs.  I'm no expert on alternative fuels, but I'm very interested in what hydrogen has to offer.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yeah, during the Iran-Iraq war in the mid-80's. That actually involved the whole Iran Contra affair with Oliver North.  I saw a list of things tied into the middle east & it's just such a mess. Things you do one year, look like a terrible decision 3 years later. Funny too, because there's actually footage of Donald Rumsfeld shaking Saddam Hussein's hand in 1982, and I think that was the year which the slayings occured which he was convicted and executed for.

That happened on Reagan's watch. That war could've turned into a huge disaster with Soviet involvement so it was basically a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of situation.

I have no problems with that, but Reagan should have come down hard on Saddam when they used chemical weapons.

One of the few mistakes of the Reagan presidency.

Board footer