You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Interview With Dizzy Reed

Will wrote:

When you first joined Guns N Roses, what was the most difficult thing about jumping into a band that was already so enormously popular?

The most difficult thing was just trying to gain acceptance. First, by the band, because Axl really wanted me in the band and he said that was the way it was going to be. You know, we had been talking about it for a few years before that, before they became big, actually, and I think the other guys weren’t really as keen on the idea of having a sixth guy in the band. When I joined it was still all five original guys. But I think over time they started to realize that I could contribute to the music and I wasn’t that bad of a guy to be around (laughs). And they realized I wasn’t going anywhere, basically, and so slowly I started gaining acceptance by them. But then it took a long time for a lot of the fans to really accept the fact that I was in the band. Quite a few years, actually. But now it’s been twenty-three years and I’m still in the band.

Do you regret that you didn’t go to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony?

No, I don’t regret it. You know, myself and Axl and Izzy, we made a decision. There’s still some things I don’t understand about it. There was opposition regarding a performance and having the current line-up perform, which to me was just ridiculous because Tommy Stinson has been in the band for like sixteen years. And Richard Fortus has been in the band for twelve years. Basically, most of those guys have been a member of Guns N Roses longer than the guys who were there. So that didn’t make any sense to me. I didn’t understand who was behind that or why that had to be like that.

But I want to say this: Being accepted into the Hall Of Fame and being told I was going to be accepted into the Hall Of Fame, I’m very honored to have my name mentioned along with all the other artists that are in the Hall Of Fame and I don’t take that for granted. And personally, I don’t think I’m worthy. But it was an honor to be told that. But then again, the line-up issues and that we could each only bring one guest. If there are any other guests, I’d have to pay full price for tickets and it’s not cheap. So it was like, well, I can take my mom but not my dad. I could take my wife but not my son. I could take one of my kids. I could take my brother but not my best friend. I don’t know, I’m scratching my head: Where does that money go? (laughs) Does Rod Stewart or Meatloaf have that problem? So yeah, there were just some things that I didn’t quite understand that couldn’t be answered, so I had good reason to do what I did. It is what it is and I don’t regret it.

How has recording with Guns N Roses changed from when you first started recording with them?

I think it was probably more complicated when I first started recording with them, with Guns N Roses. We were doing the Use Your Illusion records and there was a shit load of material. Just pre-production was like a year and then tracking everything. If it was on vinyl, I think it would have been like four or five records at once. It was just a lot of stuff. Then it was quite a long time after that before we put anything else out but that’s a whole other story altogether.

But I think with Dead Daisies, we made a deadline for ourselves, and we were in the middle of a tour so we were kind of under the gun. We couldn’t really take any liberties. It was like, “We’ve got two days to write some songs. Let’s do it.” Then we had a few days to track them, put down the basic tracks, then we came here and had three days to do the overdubs. And we did it, we finished it. But it was only three or four songs as opposed to fifty. So that’s a big difference. Even if you’re just making an album, it’s obviously going to take longer. I was definitely more involved in the writing process with the Daisies, which eventually with Guns N Roses on Chinese Democracy I was a lot more involved in the writing process as well. This was sort of a bish-bam-bang we’ve got to get in and do it and with Guns we were basically compiling a library all with one shot.

Do you have a date when your [solo] CD will be out?

There’s no release date yet but it will be soon.

---
Just the GNR bits above, or the full interview at m.sl/gnr (thanks hitman!)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
dizzy wrote:

Tommy Stinson has been in the band for like sixteen years. And Richard Fortus has been in the band for twelve years. Basically, most of those guys have been a member of Guns N Roses longer than the guys who were there. So that didn’t make any sense to me.

I don't want to say a bunch of negative stuff, but surely it's about what is achieved rather than just time in the saddle.

I actually really like Fortus' playing, and Tommy is a cool guy too - but to be real - in their tenure that's "longer than the guys who were there" - there was at least 4years where they did nothing at all in public, they've released but ONE album which is not the album GNR are acclaimed for - and you'd need to be an audiophile to actually even hear tommy or richard in that mix, and pretty much what they've done live is play setlists for 20 years that are 85% comprised of songs written by the classic line up.

I have nothing against these guys - but really - isn't it obvious that the hall of fame is about the achievements of the past and not the current line up - cool players that they are - they'd have to do something a little more than what they've done to be inducted surely.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah chinese democracy as much as people might like it is not hall of fame material and neither is touring behind it for 10 years. Maybe if they had released a few records but as it stands none of the current line up should have been recognized.  It was a night to honor the era of the band that actually meant something to the music world.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Its simple, the hall of fame inducted the Guns N'Roses who existed before Axl legally dissolved that band, and not the one thats existed since he legally formed a new band with the same name and made his former and future bandmates employees.

And Dizzy is an idiot, he's just toeing the company line 16

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Olorin wrote:

he's just toeing the company line 16

Exactly the words that came to mind for me too.

Also regarding the expense of bringing extra people, if Dizzy couldn't afford (I think it was $3,500 per plate from memory) for an extra couple of family members to attend, perhaps he should go back to his employer and ask for a raise.  Alternatively maybe he could ask Duff for some financial advice because I doubt he is being paid peanuts by Axl and certainly would have earn't significant dollars over his career, so perhaps he needs to manage his finances a bit better.

Although that said if GN'R is being inducted then I would logically expect GN'R should have footed the bill for extras attending not the individuals.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I know the HOF issue is still a sore point for a lot of fans, but I think Axl/Izzy/Dizzy were right not to attend, and the only reason fans are bitter is because they saw it as a last opportunity for a reunion (when it isn't). The RNRHOF are a self-appointed "authority" in saying not only which bands get in each year but also which band members will be inducted. On top of that they then have the nerve to charge $3,500 per ticket if the inductees family members want to attend? I'm surprised Axl even bothered trying to negotiate terms really.

HOF: "We'd like to honour you by giving you this award. That'll be $3,500 please, per person." roll

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can put that down to the fact I've never once cared enough to even google  "RNRHOF". I couldn't care less who is in it and who isn't hmm

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

The whole Rock Hall ideal is about money and advertising. They are pathetic and treat bands even ones that are inducted with the least amount of respect. It's Rock N' Roll..why do they need to be such pompous, big wig douche bags about it. Completely agree with Will's point. The whole having to pay extra money to have each member of your own family to be there to support you during your own induction makes my skin crawl. I totally understand where Dizzy is coming from.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I understand Dizzy's in "that" band and I understand his loyalty, not only to Axl, but the band itself... but again -- come the fuck on. You don't understand the fact that to this VERY GOD DAMN DAY, Guns N' Roses was Axl, Slash, Izzy & Duff, and to a lesser extent Steven. Outside of the handful of Axl fans across the world, nobody considers Guns N' Roses even breathing past 1993. All of the songs that Dizzy Reed has lived off of for the last 20+ years were written by those guys. Not Chinese fucking Democracy. And when Tommy Stinson goes into the Hall, and even in the annals of Rock history, nobody is going to say "Guns N' Roses bassist Tommy Stinson". They're gonna say "Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson" or whatever he fucking does, completely seperate from Guns N' Roses.

Bottom line, I would've joined Axl, Izzy & Dizzy for one reason only... i'm NOT paying you $3,500 per plate to honor me. From the mouth of Johnny Rotten -- "fuck off wanker"

That's the ONLY logical reason to no show the Hall. Beyond that you're just being ridiculous.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You know, when we use the, "everybody in the world..." argument... Everybody in the world couldn't give a shit, and I could care less about what 99% of them think. It's like any of my favorite bands, films, actors... People in the media and people in general take pot shots at them for years, until it's suddenly "cool" to be a fan (like Mickey Rourke... I was a fan from when he was Motorcycle Boy even through the Exit In Red days, damn it! I never lost faith in his abilities, even when everyone else did and he became a punchline) and not only do they become fans, they suddenly become purists. Who gives a shit what anyone thinks. I'm glad he didn't go to the R&RHF. I'm sure he was making a point by not showing up and not allowing anyone else to dictate his place in rock history, past or present, or his band, or give those people any kind of credibility by attending their event.  So when anyone uses "the world doesn't see them as [whatever], I roll my eyes and think: "Whatever, dude." You guys don't give a shit when people look down on any of the Snakepit albums that you like, or care what people think about a song or other artist you like. Same here. These tail chasing arguments about this being a band or what have you are really pointless now. And "world view" is completely subjective.

If the original line up is going to reunite for a one off show, do it in an old LA club for free.

Sorry for the rant, my GN'R discussions have been bottled up for a while wink

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

OMG did he really use years in the band as something meaningful???? WTF this isn't a factory job or the military where that shit matters. its what u create and the legacy u leave.

Get your head out of your ass Dizzy.

If he doesn't have enough money to buy tickets for family members, Like Aussie said, He needs to hit Axl up for a raise.

Board footer