You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Robin Finck first substantial interview on how he got GNR gig

-D- wrote:

I like what he said about being with Axl and not being Slash.
I do agree with the camp of posters who are PRO Robin in the sense it made GNR a truly different band, instead of the Slash lite DJ *I like DJ but let's be honest right?*

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Exactly. Robin was Axl's ticket to a new band. DJ is a ticket to nostalgia land.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

And Buckethead really gave them their own identity to stand on away from Slash - and he was the one to do it, I don't think anyone else could have. It was really the perfect line up to establish this as a completely different band. I've said it before, but Robin was what got me interested in the new band because it showed that Axl was doing something completely different and artistically-ballsy.

I don't want to go as far to say that DJ is a Slash-type, mainly because he's pretty generic compared to Slash, I mean, by miles and miles (is that a pun?), but he is a step towards everything I hate about modern rock... The guys who are trying to be rock stars instead of just being a rock star. And the playing... It's gloss, man. I can see how mainstream people would prefer him over Robin, but man, it makes me sad that we're drifting far away from that unique sound that initial lineup had, which was unlike anything else out there.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

DJ can't even play the Slash solos note for note.  He dumbs then down constantly.  Bumble and Bucket could and add extra shit on top.  Robin couldn't cover him well either, but he put a unique twist on things so it was more okay.  DJ is just a pure cover band artist of Slash.  That is it. Maybe his song writing will make me eat my words.  I listened a lot to Live Era over the weekend.  The guitar solos are just so perfect.  NR and Don't Cry, those are perfect guitar solo, let alone SCOM.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I will give DJ credit, that I liked his IRS and Sorry solos (because they weren't his wink ) but he does all that Steve Stevens shit I can't stand... That's a better comparison than Slash, imo. Slash is a pure blues-based 70's rock inspired guitarist with some punk thrown in there. He's everything DJ isn't.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I do miss Robin now too. Was never the biggest supporter of his but he was a real dude. Had his own feel and groove to things. Made him unique. I dont get that from DJ. The term gloss was used and I like that. I kinda look at Dj like a corporate rock star. A part to fill. I don't see much soul in it. Puts on a good show but that's it. Until I hear something to change my mind that's how I feel on it.

I know its a little unfair to judge completely without hearing his contributions to original material but for now he's seems to be there just to fill the shoes too big for his feet. But who knows I'm just a guy on a message board. 16

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wow, he's going to do a solo album? Fucking finally. It's been so frustrating knowing he's capable of stuff like the TIL solo and seeing him relegated to chugging away next to Trent on rhythm tracks. And knowing that the only solo showcase for him is a couple of Chinese Democracy tracks, Ghosts of Mars and a Cee Lo Green song.  Ever since seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEU_MnZdHg

I've been waiting for him to round up a decent drummer in the Dave Grohl mould and a Robert Plant-esque singer and become, essentially, the new Led Zeppelin.

elevendayempire

misterID wrote:

I will give DJ credit, that I liked his IRS and Sorry solos (because they weren't his wink ) but he does all that Steve Stevens shit I can't stand... That's a better comparison than Slash, imo. Slash is a pure blues-based 70's rock inspired guitarist with some punk thrown in there. He's everything DJ isn't.

Yeah, that's exactly what annoys me about DJ versus Slash and Robin. Slash and Robin play with feeling, DJ adds extraneous twiddly shit to everything while striking rockstar poses. He is to the guitar what Myles Kennedy is to vocals; he hits the notes, but with none of the passion.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Wow, he's going to do a solo album? Fucking finally. It's been so frustrating knowing he's capable of stuff like the TIL solo and seeing him relegated to chugging away next to Trent on rhythm tracks. And knowing that the only solo showcase for him is a couple of Chinese Democracy tracks, Ghosts of Mars and a Cee Lo Green song.  Ever since seeing this video:

I've been waiting for him to round up a decent drummer in the Dave Grohl mould and a Robert Plant-esque singer and become, essentially, the new Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, Robin played that solo when they toured Australia in 2007 too. Some pretty cool soulful blues playing there, in typical Robin style.
But to me it's more along the lines of Stevie Ray Vaughan than Jimmy Page though

elevendayempire

metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yeah, Robin played that solo when they toured Australia in 2007 too. Some pretty cool soulful blues playing there, in typical Robin style.
But to me it's more along the lines of Stevie Ray Vaughan than Jimmy Page though

It's less about the style of his playing than that I'd love to see him in one of those 1970s-style bands where there's one guitarist with a unique tone who defines the band. Like Queen or Zeppelin. No fucking about with rhythm players, just a stripped-back beast of a band.

Alternatively, lock Finck and Jack White in a room until they produce an album.

Board footer