You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Ten Most Wanted Corrupt Politicians

mitchejw wrote:

it's politics...that's just how you play...whatever...and don't call me unethical for saying so...I live in Chicago...the dirtiest city in America.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Whatever... a lot of their stuff was suspicion rather than fact. Not to mention that everyone in Congress has had a least 1 or 2 shady dealings. And of course the more well known names hit the top 10 of the list. I'm sure the jackasses in the House that we've never heard of are just as dirty.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Tommie wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not to mention, if elected all of these will conduct torture on innocent people, like the current one. It's become part of the policy, and I've yet to see anyone except Paul take a serious stand against these issues. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You make it sound like all the presidential candidates got together one night and decided on a list of ordinary citizens they were going to abduct in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever.  Most of the "torture" that takes places is usually well warranted.

That's the way you make it sound. Don't put words in my mouth.

If the torture is warranted (which it of course never is, by principle), how come 95% of terror suspects get released without charges? How come people spending years at Guantanamo and others we don't know about only to be released without charges? How come only one guy's been put on trail as a terrorist?

You telling me these people have not been subjected to 'dubious' tactics, after all we've seen from Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo?

Edit: Cananda puts USA and Israel on torture blacklist. http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n … bd&k=85054

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I don't really have an answer to that.  All the opinions I type here are just that, opinions.  I hardly research these types of subjects as much as you do.  (No thats not a dig, I just know your into this type of stuff more than I am.) 

How do you know its never warranted? 

And also, since you never answered me before I'll retype what I asked earlier.

It really comes down to a question of, if you had no other choice and you had to severely torture one or two people in order to get information that could save thousands, wouldn't you?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Tommie wrote:

I don't really have an answer to that.  All the opinions I type here are just that, opinions.  I hardly research these types of subjects as much as you do.  (No thats not a dig, I just know your into this type of stuff more than I am.) 

How do you know its never warranted? 

And also, since you never answered me before I'll retype what I asked earlier.

It really comes down to a question of, if you had no other choice and you had to severely torture one or two people in order to get information that could save thousands, wouldn't you?

Sorry about that, missed it.

It is a big practical and moral dilemma, that is for sure.

In an isolated case I would probably do it myself, if I was absolutely sure.

That's the dilemma though; how can you know for sure? I don't think you ever can. Also, where should you set the limit? A million lives? A thousand? Ten? Two? One? There is no black and white here, so you'll always end up bending the rules, until one day you can't see the line anymore. History is your witness to that, so is basic psychology and human behavioral patterns.

Then you have the moral side of it. Should so called civilized societies ever condone the use of violence, unless in situations of direct self defense?

I would ultimately have to say no. It should not under any circumstance be tolerated. If we are to build a better world for ourselves, it needs to be through example not force. We can't have peace without if there's not peace within. A society that condones the use of unnecessary force will never be at peace within. We need to build from the bottom.

Board footer