You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Boston George
 Rep: 1 

Re: 2006 Tour Retrospective - Resurrected

russtcb wrote:
Boston George wrote:

I'm just really hoping that the songs we've heard so far aren't the ones people are describing as "mind blowing."

hmm

My biggest fear is that there are. I'm really hoping not, but I believe so.

That's why I fear we're in the silent period again. I think the label got a close to finished version of the album around mid to late 06 and said "Um.... no thank you?".

Yeah, I definitely hear you and share your same fear. Honestly, I don't even care anymore. I think the entire situation is waaaaaaay beyond ridiculous. I'm more intrigued and interested in a future reunion of the real gunners than I am in hearing any more from Axl and this dime store charade that he tries passing off as GN'R every few years when he needs some money. This year will end the just the same as the last 10, more disaapointment and let-downs. Axl has become way too predictable in his older age.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Boston George
 Rep: 1 

russtcb wrote:

I don't view anyone else as "the real Guns N' Roses" just for the record. I think a reunion of older members would be completely uninteresting and useless.

I'm still looking forward to this project and more songs and tours, I'm just in fear of the label's confidence in it.

The label probably shares the same interest and general confidence as the majority of the general public. Very little. I personally think that has alot to do with Axl's problem with the majority of his fanbase and entire world for that matter. I think it's safe to say most people are interested in seeing a reunion of the original lineup (or at least Illusions) moreso than they are in what Axl's "vision" of the band is. That probably pisses him off and has alot to do with him still blaming Slash. Since he feels he alone warrants this band being called GN'R, he sees no reason for people wanting ex-members back. Unfortunately, Slash had just as much to do with the GN'R legacy and success as Axl did.

As far as a reunion being uninteresting and useless, I respectfully disagree. The perfect examples of "uninteresting and usesless" would be to read what Axl has said or accomplished since 96'. I'd rather see an older and more mature reuinion of the original members, than I would continue watching this one man dictatorship and his puppet regime continuing to pay tribute to other musicians work. Everyone's different though, so I respect your thoughts, even if I blatantly disagree.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

I was saying that I have a good idea of what they'll develop into. Yeah I've heard the UYI/AFD/Lies Demos and those are raw and very interesting to listen to. But those can be much more finished than today's music with the convenience of the digital age.

And about the songs, I wouldn't classify those as close to final tracks. I can't speak for Better or The Blues, but the other tracks seem to be from 2002. You can atleast confirm Chinese and Madagascar as from the 02 Era. See the Boston Promo video for reference.

And no, I don't want to punch people because they have an opinion. I'm just tired of going into forums and seeing people be either burning hot or scathing cold. If you don't lick nuts over at HTGTH, you are an anti-new GNR hater and some other places people rip on Axl or the new lineup for whatever reason. That's what pisses me off.

Don't believe that the album will be a success? Fine, but quit holding onto the past. The old lineup is gone and the way things are looking, gone for good. Really like the new band? Fine, but don't paint Axl as a martyr who never did anything wrong and nothing is his fault. For example: people are talking about Better and how it supposedly sounds like 'different songs put together'. Okay, do you think November Rain is two songs mashed together when it transitions from the piano to 'don't you think...' and Slash's guitar solo. What about Dead Horse where it goes acoustic at the end? If you say that about the new stuff there's certainly many examples of the old stuff where that happens too.

I just think it's foolish to judge these songs before anyone hears the final product. For example I.R.S. on the demo is much more poppy and soft-toned and high-pitched. When it was played live in 2006 it was much harsher, had a funky, sonic-whallop undertone and Axl grinding over the top. What if 'Better' was made into a soft-acoustic song and half-way through kicked into electric? I'm not saying it will, but there are a lot of options. We know Axl is a whore for layers, so maybe he adds some really interesting stuff?

I do agree that the 'There Was A Time' intro sounds too cluttered, but it's unfair to say that the whole album will be cluttered and top-heavy because of a demo track. That's my point.

There's a difference between having an opinion and fact, being honest and being critical. I'm not saying people can't have opinions. As one of my favorite lines says, "There's a difference between being frank... and being dick."

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not everyone is going to share the same opinion of these songs. Some think they are all great, some like a few of them, and some don't like any of them. Thats music for you. Hell, I think M.I.A.'s album shits over all these songs, but I don't expect you to have the same opinion. I love most of the CD songs, I just don't think the universe is going to explode if they are released.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

Yeah, see that's what I like. Good clean, honest opinion. Sure maybe someone has something I don't necessarily agree with or whatever but as long as they aren't pulling punches then I'm fine with it.

I dig M.I.A. too, probably not as much as you though. tongue

I finally got to hear a little bit of her new album @ a friend's the other night. Once I get some coin I'm going to probably pick it up. How does it compare with Arular?

James

James wrote:

It makes Arular sound amateurish. There's a reason Kala won quite a few album of the year awards in various magazines. No filler on the album whatsoever.

The production on Kala is flawless. If Axl still cant get the album done, he should hire Switch.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bucketfoot wrote:

And Buzzsaw, sorry dude, but you should probably take a breather. By your logic, most of the songs on the Illusion albums aren't good because they're 8-minutes. Breakdown, November Rain, Estranged, Coma, etc. Afterall, those songs are bad because they're too long. Right?

What about Led Zeppelin's 'Achilles Last Stand' or 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Kashmir'? Those are 8+ minutes?

GNR has always been over-indulgent, but does that mean the songs are bad or no one wants them? Nope.

This isn't 1991 anymore.  Tell me what the name was of the last 8 minute song you heard on the radio.  Pretty much everything today is short, to the point, and very simple.  If you don't get that, then you have been living in a shell for the past 15 years.  This isn't the same GnR and this clearly isn't the same music industry. 

As I said before, I don't even think the old band could have gotten away with 8 minute songs today.  This band is going to have a short leash with the general public whether that's fair or not.  They have one shot at not fucking up an album release (beyond what they already have - I'm referring to if they ever actually release it) and putting out something like TWAT (which I like) right away is a recipe for disaster.  The first single has to live up to the standards set by the old band and it has to be short and simple enough that people won't be bored or lose the song because it is too complicated.  There's little chance of the first part happening, and from what we've heard so far, no chance of the latter happening either. 

Let's be realistic for a second:  if GnR can't even get the majority of it's fan base behind the new band 100%, what makes anyone think the general public is going to accept it? 19

James

James wrote:

Excellent point on the publics attention span, and even a song like CD has to be edited for radio play. The intro has to go or people will change the channel before that riff kicks in.

Board footer