You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Guns N' Roses-Velvet Revolver hybrid?

tejastech08 wrote:

Adler has no one to blame but himself.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

edit: I don't blame him at all for losing interest in that 09-14 lineup. Just awful on several levels. I don't even want to imagine the music that Ron and Ashba sent him for consideration. 18

Haha!
I like to imagine this scenario as being the definitive reason why Axl's brought the old guys back in. Listening to DJ/BBF should've been the nadir, Axl hitting rock bottom with his Chinese vision & at that moment he's like just completely exhausted and sees Slash & Duff as his way out of the mess he made for himself.

johndivney wrote:

Also if they're going to do Fall to Pieces that's going to serve as my piss break. In much the same ay as The Blues became my piss break song during the CD tours..

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
DtM51 wrote:

I am new here and messed the quote up. Anyways, i once read about a "master plan" that was put together in 2012 about a reunion. If that's true that would mean they have had around 3 years to have slash, duff and others record parts of CD and write new material. With all the buzz i think it could happen.

Welcome. 5 9

Not sure about three years, but I also believe this has been in the works for a LOT longer than recent developments suggest. Also take into consideration that many fans(including me) felt that he was phoning it in on that last Vegas residency. Probably because the wheels were already in motion and he just wanted it over with.

The rumors of them being in the studio last year are looking a bit more solid now.

Don't want Kushner in.

Me either but if it gets us to the promised land I'll go ahead and support Roseanne Barr coming into the lineup if necessary.

edit: I don't blame him at all for losing interest in that 09-14 lineup. Just awful on several levels. I don't even want to imagine the music that Ron and Ashba sent him for consideration. 18

Axl phoning it in on the last residency? did you ever watch one of those shows? he was quite on, if you ask me. probably the best he`s been since the 2011 US tour. if anything, he was phoning it in on the first residency. if he`s on that level for the reunion i`m ok with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIrJsyzbMFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kM9R2C3Pek

however this youtube thing works here.....

and they played yesterdays, prostitute and there was a time.

back on topic: please no dave kushner!!

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

If that line up is true, my interest has dropped a few notches.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Clearly a lot of compromising going on if this is true, which imo doesn't bode well for the longevity of this thing. They're in danger of making it look like a circus.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:

The thing with Axl, is that he doesn't know how to edit himself. He benefits from someone else being in that role. You can see many examples of this; from his dress sense to CD's production. Sometimes it works, often it does not. As he got more and more control of Guns, everything became increasingly over-the-top and into parody land. It would not surprise me at all if this circus were his vision.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Not sure I get the hate for Kushner - it's a bit unexpected, but if Axl's wedded to his three-guitar line-up idea, Kushner would actually be quite a good fit. Kushner's approach to Velvet Revolver was never to try and duplicate Izzy's style, it was all about effects pedals and interesting soundscapes:

Duff and Slash played really loud, and they were just used to that, so for me there was a wall of bass between me and Slash. So a lot of times I couldn’t hear a lot of what he was doing, so I just came in and I brought my pedal board and I didn’t try to play like Izzy or play like what I thought he would want. I just did what I did and tried to use pedals and stuff like that for different voicings instead of trying to stay in this blues based Izzy Stradlin kind of realm.

(from http://www.alternativenation.net/dave-k … interview/)

Which seems like it'd mesh well with Axl's post-industrial approach, Pitman and all the other things. I must admit that with the earlier rumours that Pitman was out, I was expecting a straightforward rock band: Axl/Slash/Duff/Frank/Fortus/Dizzy. But if Pitman's back in, along with Kushner, I could see the pendulum swinging towards a slightly more experimental approach, as Axl was aiming for in the late 90s: Slash on lead, Fortus doing the bluesy Izzy rhythm stuff and the odd solo, Kushner and Pitman providing effects/synth-driven soundscapes that weave in and out of it all.

It actually makes me a bit more excited, because it implies this isn't just a cash-grab reunion with the old hits, it's a longer-term game plan that might actually marry the best of Illusions-era GN'R with VR and Axl's late-90s ideas.

In terms of the band dynamics, it makes sense too - if Pitman's back in, that makes the whole setup very much weighted towards Axl's camp; bringing in Kushner gives Slash and Duff another player who's firmly on their side. That does imply a confrontational relationship between the band members that may not actually exist any more, mind!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Of course, it might also be a case of Slash and Duff helping a bro out. Kushner's been hoping for a VR reunion for years; IIRC he brought in Franky Perez as a potential singer, he orchestrated the 2012 mini-reunion of the band (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … n-20120106) with Weiland, and with the GN'R reunion and Weiland's passing, the notion of VR reuniting has been kicked into the long grass. So offering Kushner a slot in the reunited GN'R - especially given that Axl likes his three-guitar line-ups - could be seen as the decent thing to do (though it does beg the question of why they wouldn't do the same for Matt...). And if Slash and Duff are bringing the VR songs from the Corey Taylor sessions to Axl, Kushner might have writing credits on them.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Ugh. Izzy really needs to be part of this. Period.

Board footer