You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Something is up with Pitman

FlashFlood wrote:

I'm fairly certain the general public doesn't give a shit about Duff, let alone Izzy or fucking Popcorn.

I'm also fairly certain the general public doesn't even know that Axl has been touring a different lineup for the past 16 years. They just think they broke up when Slash left.

Maybe if you gently prod someone you could coax a vague memory of something that happened in 2002 at an award show, but that's it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If you already have Axl, Slash and Duff on stage? Would anyone give a rats ass if Nick Mason was part of a PF reunion? Looks like they didn't even care that Waters was missing back in 94.

The AFD lineup allows it to be marketed as an AFD reunion. Take one of those guys out of the equation and it cant be. If Izzy isn't along for the ride then there's zero point in bringing in Adler. If they don't want to or care about an AFD reunion then it can just be pushed as a reunion in general with the band's biggest stars upfront which looks to be how they are going to do it.

Its all in the presentation.

I'm also fairly certain the general public doesn't even know that Axl has been touring a different lineup for the past 16 years. They just think they broke up when Slash left.
Maybe if you gently prod someone you could coax a vague memory of something that happened in 2002 at an award show, but that's it.]

You might be exaggerating just a tad but I do agree that the CD era didn't really do much if any damage on pop culture's radar and you're right about the 02 VMA's being something that would likely get mentioned first. That was HUGE for about a week. People talked more about that comeback medley than they did the album's release.

Might get a music nerd to remember that 2003 IRS Trump leak. That made some waves but died when nobody could hear it.

edit: Oh yeah...Rio 01. Big news. US magazines covered that event. 2001... the year that this whole Chinese shindig should have started and finished.

and Buckethead. Ask anyone who was in the band 97-15 his name will be at the top of the list. Stinson second. The rest are tied for third.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If you already have Axl, Slash and Duff on stage? Would anyone give a rats ass if Nick Mason was part of a PF reunion? Looks like they didn't even care that Waters was missing back in 94.

The AFD lineup allows it to be marketed as an AFD reunion. Take one of those guys out of the equation and it cant be. If Izzy isn't along for the ride then there's zero point in bringing in Adler. If they don't want to or care about an AFD reunion then it can just be pushed as a reunion in general with the band's biggest stars upfront which looks to be how they are going to do it.

Its all in the presentation.

They've been quite careful to bill this as a "regrouping" and not a "reunion." I'm still convinced that the lack of Izzy and Adler will only matter to a handful of hardcores, and that they'll be invited up on stage for a couple of songs anyway. With the modern-day GN'R, Axl's built an efficient, reliable touring machine that Slash and Duff can slot neatly into (actually, the only one who really needs to step out of his comfort zone is Slash, since Duff's already toured with them). To promoters and anyone else interested in a stable touring band, that makes vastly more sense than trying to get the famously volatile AFD line-up together for a festival and a tour.

And if they're looking at doing albums down the line, I'm guessing that Fortus will feature heavily on the stuff Axl brings to the table (since it's repeatedly been said that his contributions were being held back for the Chinese Democracy follow-up), so it makes sense to keep him on board. Add to that the fact that Izzy can lend authenticity from the sidelines by writing and recording with the band, and dropping in for the odd guest spot, and you've got a recipe for success.

James

James wrote:

You certainly make good points but there's just something magical about that AFD lineup. Its their masterpiece and one thing that can really sell it is the fact so few GNR fans ever saw them in concert, then factor in 2017 is the anniversary. Remember they were just an opening act then. The massive touring that millions witnessed didn't happen until a year after Adler was fired and Izzy was only on that tour for a few months.

I agree that the reunion can be a massive success as is but the media would go ape shit for an AFD reunion, not just certain fans from back in those days.

I'm supporting it no matter who is in the lineup and any lineup that can actually release an album will be the perfect modern lineup in my book.

elevendayempire

Yeah, but I'd argue that the fact that so few people saw the AFD line-up live underscores the fact that you can get away with another line-up in 2016. For the vast majority of people, even back in the day, the GN'R that they saw live and watched on MTV was made up of Slash, Axl, Duff and Izzy and Steven's replacements.

I'd almost rather have the AFD line-up remain in the past than try to recapture that lightning in a bottle – they're not those young, hungry musicians any more, so why pretend? Bring Izzy and Adler back for a couple of songs to pay tribute, and move on with creating new, mature music with that distinctive Axl/Slash/Duff sound, with contributions from Izzy, and Fortus (who I think will complement Slash magnificently).

James

James wrote:

That's certainly true and for the record I'm not advocating for a permanent AFD lineup. 16 Chances of new material under those conditions is not high. Best case scenario for that would be one tour(if that) and my main interest is in new songs not new shows.

I just think that lineup deserves one last performance at least. Farm Aid, as incredible as it was,  should not be their last time onstage together.

If its guest spots along the way I think all will be happy. IMO an AFD reunion at Coachella is still on the table and might be one of the reasons for this latest news blackout.  That lineup can play enough material to fill out a condensed set.

elevendayempire

Also – and I fully acknowledge that I'm the weird one here – I really hope Fortus gets a few moments to shine in the show. Like, I kind of want him to continue taking one of the November Rain solos...

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Also – and I fully acknowledge that I'm the weird one here – I really hope Fortus gets a few moments to shine in the show. Like, I kind of want him to continue taking one of the November Rain solos...

Ummm...no. Those are some of Slash's best work and he hasn't played them in over 20 years. I would rather Slash handle them.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Depending how many guitarists ... slash will do all slash parts and the other guitarist(s) will share rhythm and fills

My guess

johndivney wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Sacrilege.

Board footer