You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Something is up with Pitman

Axlin16 wrote:

ElevendayEmpire... if I could squeeze through the fiberoptic, bend you over my knee and spank that ass... I would. I can't believe you said what you said. Richard Fortus take over for Slash on NR, when Slash is on stage... the ONLY time that is even worthy of discussion is if the reunion was Slash & Buckethead, and even still -- no. Hell, I think Bucket would say "let Slash do it, let me do my own thing".

Even with this Mark XI lineup of Guns N' Roses, Slash will be getting ALL of the main classic solos (seeing as how he FUCKING WROTE THEM). Even if Dave Kushner (or my dream of Tommy Stinson) is on rhythm IF Izzy is not there, and Richard is on Lead 2, Richard will still back Slash, and ONLY play Slash's rhythm parts from the studio recordings. Slash will still get all lead parts live. That's a given.

However if a couple of Chinese songs survive on the set, I could see Richard being allowed lead on those songs, and Slash playing Bucket/Ron's parts for the shredding, possibly adding a bluesier effect for those choppy killswitch Bucket solos.

Regardless... it's hard to imagine two leads with Slash there. I just can't wrap my mind around it, and certainly not with Richard. Bucket, maybe, Richard, no. Even as good as he is, he and Slash's styles are very similar, and... just... no. Slash will do lead guitar and play his own solos. Richard will play Izzy's rhythm, and in a 3-guitar config, play Slash's rhythm.

I know, I know, there are plenty of arguments against it. But Fortus has been in the band for 14 years now, and all the songs that were going to showcase his leads were punted onto Chinese Democracy II. Which is never going to see the light of day in its original form, now that Slash and Duff are back. And it's unlikely that there will be many (any?) Chinese Democracy songs on the setlist where he can shred away on the Buckethead solos. Basically, I think he's wasted playing chords in the background; he needs a few opportunities to shine. November Rain has three solos, for heaven's sake; give him the one he usually plays, or the shorter second one. Give him something.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

No doubt Fortus will play a lot of the CD material, if not most. If there is to be a triple guitar lineup they might play more new stuff than we think. Three guitarist on an old GN'R heavy set list would be a waste of money. Why pay a guy a lot of money to stand around contributing nothing? The old band got along well using mostly one.

Either that or he will take some of Slash' parts, but I don't see that happening.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

They probably won't play any songs from CD anyway...really wouldn't make sense really...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Slash McKagan wrote:

They probably won't play any songs from CD anyway...really wouldn't make sense really...

I wouldn't be so sure. I wouldn't expect them to highlight it, but I think if there's a song or 2 Slash and Duff like it will make the set. I think it's important to Axl to acknowledge that era existed.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

A three guitar lineup definitely means CD songs imo. If not there is literally zero point to it.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

A three guitar lineup definitely means CD songs imo. If not there is literally zero point to it.

And, dragging this back on topic, the presence of Pitman. CD songs I suspect could get an airing:

This I Love (dates back to UYI era, DJ's already fiddled about with the solo, many have expressed a wish to hear Slash playing it)
Madagascar (just got a feeling about this one – since 2006, Fortus has played the solo, so it's a chance to give him a moment in the sun – but the solo is part of that musical/sample collage, so it's not like he's stealing one of the big solo spots from Slash)
Sorry (one of the more emotive/less shreddy Buckethead solos, so fair game for either Fortus or Slash)
Better (one of the best-known CD tracks, partly written by Fortus – though it's a bit out of Slash's wheelhouse)

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Maybe if they play any CD songs Slash will do all of the solos...why not?

johndivney wrote:

Yes to this ^

There isn't 1 CD song that wouldn't have been better had Slash been on it.

No offence to 4tus, or nuGnR fans, but Slash & only Slash should be doing the solo's. He would improve every one of those songs. 4tus is a good session man & a reliable old spud, but he's not & never will be lead guitarist of GnR, or worthy of that role.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not really, Tommy, Robin and Richard had been lobbying for a long time before Ron was hired to keep just two guitarists, that they didn't need three. I think it can be done.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Didn't Ron say in one of his chats that due to studio layering that there was lots of opportunities for 3 guitarists for both old and new tunes?

Board footer