You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Which leads me back AGAIN... why Duff and not Dizzy Reed

Because Duff is the glue between Axl and Slash. Because he booked the Hell Tour where they all bonded. Because his punk bass is an important part of Appetite. Because he wrote the bridge for Jungle when the other two had writer's block. Because he wrote It's So Easy. And because Axl clearly thinks 3 of the Appetite 5 is better than 2/5.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Did dizzy do something that I missed?  Why the sudden love for a guy who wrote none of the music that matters?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Did dizzy do something that I missed?  Why the sudden love for a guy who wrote none of the music that matters?

No idea...Duff slash Axl are my big 3...dizzy I can do without tbh...I'd rather have a 5 peice gnr band any day of the week

It's always amazed me how many gnr fans love piano over guitar...ive always considered it a guitar based band

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Axl, Slash and Duff together has a value greater than any of them individually or as a double act.

Sum is greater than its parts.

Duff doesn't hold a lot of value on his own, but as part of a reunited GN'R package he does add a lot of legitimacy. Three is also always a great number.

Yeah, the original 2016 tour was going to feature Duff. I don't think it would have made a huge impact on ticket sells. Slash playing with Tommy on bass would have been huge, IMO. But I do think Duff does bring another dynamic to Axl and Slash where it looks like a reunion, even though it really isn't. It's exactly why only they're being marketed. Just those three will sell more tickets. Having the other half of the band as the current line up says it's not a reunion. Reunions are big business, so Axl is getting his cake and eating it too. Win win. He keeps "his" band, while cashing in on the reunion card.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

They still hold the reunion card too. Doing this is smart business if that's really how this goes down.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl & Duff did SEVERAL shows in 2014 with DJ, Ron, Richard, Frank, Dizzy & Chris.

It was publicly talked about. News articles in Rolling Stone & Billboard. "DUFF MCKAGAN RETURNS TO GUNS N' ROSES"

Not one fucking ticket went up in price

The tour DID NOT SELL MORE than the previous tours

It was New GN'R business as usual, the only fucking difference was they played "Raw Power" & "Attitude" from Spaghetti

GN'R was NOT a more valued brand, because Duff McKagan was there. Nobody cared, outside of diehards.

But Slash comes back... and all of the sudden, it's $300 tickets, $1,000 scalping, and $2500 for some fucking snails & crackers served by Del goddamn James

These days, Slash has more star power than Axl.     

So combine Axl and Slash and Duff, and you have as many original members in the band that toured during the illusions.

As for Dizzy, he is underrated or even disliked by a lot of folks who never cared for the keyboards and just wanted GnR to remain a 5 piece.   While I definitely prefer guitar to keyboards,  I appreciate is contributions to a lot of GnR classics like Breakdown, Estranged, The Blues, Civil War, etc.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

Search for Guns N`Roses pictures on google. The answer to this ridiculous discussion is right there...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
WARose wrote:

Search for Guns N`Roses pictures on google. The answer to this ridiculous discussion is right there...

Well, UYI GN'R only ever took one picture together..

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Axl & Duff did SEVERAL shows in 2014 with DJ, Ron, Richard, Frank, Dizzy & Chris.

It was publicly talked about. News articles in Rolling Stone & Billboard. "DUFF MCKAGAN RETURNS TO GUNS N' ROSES"

Not one fucking ticket went up in price

The tour DID NOT SELL MORE than the previous tours

It was New GN'R business as usual, the only fucking difference was they played "Raw Power" & "Attitude" from Spaghetti

GN'R was NOT a more valued brand, because Duff McKagan was there. Nobody cared, outside of diehards.

But Slash comes back... and all of the sudden, it's $300 tickets, $1,000 scalping, and $2500 for some fucking snails & crackers served by Del goddamn James

Actually I think the Duff return gave Axl a taste of the media legitimacy he'd experience with a proper reunion.

Most GNR tours since 2002 have been seen in the media as "Axl Rose, the asshole who dares to call himself GNR, is touring with his rotating clown show of guys who look like Izzy but are all Scabs. In a related story...steven adler hates them all....and Slash last played with the band in 1993"

Duff plays a show and it was all "Duff returns to GNR" in the media. Not "Duff sells out and lowers himself into the clown show"...no sir...duff comes back and all of a sudden GNR even with DJ and the rest is starting to be considered "almost GNR" again.

Now I agree...no business goes up for duff outside of diehards...general public only cares about Axl and Slash....BUT...the media gives Duff his props....

So why Duff over Dizzy?

1. GNR is a guitar band. No one cares about the keyboardist in a guitar band. In the event anyone happens to care about the keys - we care about Axl's playing. Bass guitar trumps keys.

2. A little album called AFD. Duff wrote it with them. Dizzy didn't. It's the bands most successful album, and if i'm not mistaken - the most successful debut rock album of all time or something like that.

I actually like Dizzy, but I'm just saying, Duff's "Street Cred" is a lot higher than Dizzy.

Look at the way Axl has referred to matt as an employee, look at the way Izzy once said he'll do shows if it's the original guys for fun. Look at the way Tommy said he'd bail for duff. It's obvious everyone in the band itself even considers the AFD 5 to be the holy group that started it all.

People like Dizzy, Matt and Gilby as well....but as UYI era dudes they straight up arn't on the level of founding partners.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Okay...

I have to level with you guys. ALL of this was to piss you guys off into this "ridiculous argument". Why? Because I wanted to see REAL passionate responses, so I could make a valid point.

monkeychow wrote:

In the event anyone happens to care about the keys - we care about Axl's playing

This is the KEY.

I felt this way from the beginning. None of this imo has anything to do with Duff. This has to do with after 25 years, and Rock Hall induction, why was Dizzy Reed being treated as a touring member, despite being credited as a band member on UYI, Live Era, Chinese & Appetite For Democracy.

I wonder if Axl still considers himself "the lead keyboardist" of GN'R and that DIzzy is nothing more than a touring member to play his parts.

If that's the case, that would explain why after so much tenure, Dizzy is still treated as a hired Gun.

But the end game statement, is after the last 15 years, this move BURIES EVERYTHING that Axl worked for. EVERYTHING. How long were we all told, THIS IS A BAND! The fans, the flame wars, all the fucking shit. This is "the Axl Rose show", and you got all the defenders -- "this is a band, fuck Slash, fuck Duff, fuck Izzy", all of the shit that Axl pushed during the CD era, only too...

Completely blow its brains out. None of these guys were ever band members, including the old veteran Dizzy. I know it's stupid, but I think 25 years in the band, the guy deserved a 10-page debate, and not just "he never wrote anything, fuck that guy". I gave it all I had, and I knew it was a lose lose argument.

But as an old timer from the early Chinese era, this is a bit of a mourning process. To think of all those times, all that he was supposedly fighting for, all of the accusations of "Axl N' Roses", "the Axl Rose solo show", all of it... and guess what?

They were right

The first response is -- duh? But at the same time, I just remember the hours, the years, the band, Dizzy & Paul are gonna be all over this thing, Richard is the secret weapon, Robin kills Slash's solo (literally & figuratively)

And it was all for... nothing.

Slashites won

War over

Board footer