You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

James wrote:

Its exactly what monkey said...he'll keep the door open by not rocking any boats.

IMO his chances of being involved are near zero.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I got tickets to the June show in DC. It’s kind of hard to believe this is really happening. It’s been years since I followed GNR closely, which those of you who remember me from way back when I was an active poster here probably assumed. I got tired of waiting for new music post-CD or a reunion, and came to think neither would ever happen. It’s pretty damn cool that everything’s come full circle and a younger generation of fans is getting the chance to see Axl, Slash and Duff on the same stage. I’ve been waiting for this since I was first glued to videos of Guns performances on YouTube a decade ago.

Hey CC! Good to see u again

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

IMO his chances of being involved are near zero.

Maybe. Although I don't think there's the bad blood people think there is. I'd say Frank got the nod because he was already in the band when Slash and Duff came back and there was no reason to get rid of him. But next time the position comes up naturally - like if Frank gets sick of touring or is injured or anything, I'd say Matt is a significant chance to get the call over an unknown.

James

James wrote:

CC back in the house! 9

I didn't even see the post for some reason until neemo quoted it. I remember you popping up in that Star Wars thread. Was wondering when you'd weigh in on the subject.

Maybe. Although I don't think there's the bad blood people think there is. I'd say Frank got the nod because he was already in the band when Slash and Duff came back and there was no reason to get rid of him. But next time the position comes up naturally - like if Frank gets sick of touring or is injured or anything, I'd say Matt is a significant chance to get the call over an unknown.

They got rid of Pitman without hesitation. If Sorum was going to be in...he'd be in.

If Frank stepped aside for whatever reason I'd put money on Brain before Matt.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

They got rid of Pitman without hesitation. If Sorum was going to be in...he'd be in.

If Frank stepped aside for whatever reason I'd put money on Brain before Matt.

I don't think it's the same though. As far as we know Frank hasn't done anything wrong, while Pitman was running his mouth dissing the reunion.

Meanwhile Frank was only there because Brain was over it.

So I wouldn't rule matt out for life - but then again given the $ involved - might be easier to just get an unknown and not have to pay a prior member - these shows have shown they don't need to.

But I don't think there's real any bad blood. Slash and Duff play with Matt in KOC sometimes, and Axl took that limo ride with him a decade ago hahaha...

James

James wrote:

The reason the window is being painted shut on some of these guys is because like you said....they don't need to. You can keep this hybrid train running and take a rain check on various AFD, UYI, or even CD guest appearances.

Pee Wee Herman could be on drums at Coachella and not one person in the audience would complain and that's not a dig at Frank....its just how this story is playing out. Frank may not be everyones favorite drummer but he's getting the job done and he's doing it with a low profile.

They have also played with Gilby and unless GNR do some massive tribute show that features all the members, he definitely wont be involved.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

They have also played with Gilby and unless GNR do some massive tribute show that features all the members, he definitely wont be involved.

I  agree completely with most of what you said.

However, although they were both the "replacements" for the UYI tour, I don't see Gilby and Matt as comparable.

1. Gilby was removed from the band when Axl disliked his musical stuff. Matt was quit/fired for the band for standing up to the slash bashing. There was never a musical doubt about matt and the slash hate is over.

2. Matt got the nod for VR when Gilby didn't. Again to me this shows that Slash/Duff like Axl before them seemed to think Matt has more of the "The Right Stuff" than Gilby.

3. Gilby doesn't play on anything except TSI, and Matt as I ranted about in the other thread plays on the UYI records as well, and is far more important to the sound.

So although they joined at the same time, Sorum outranks Gilby by quite a bit IMO.

However, I guess from Slash's solo band example, it might be easier to use employees and not have to spend the $ that an equal would bring. It's a shame though as I would like to see GNR be more of an old school band and less of side project.

AtariLegend wrote:

This was from last month for what it's worth, Canter's take on Izzy.

recklessroad wrote:

All I know is that 9 years ago (which is the last time I talked to him) Izzy was very much into getting the AFD lineup back together. It sounds to me that the partnership that owns the old GNR which is Axl, Slash, and Duff and now that they are booking gigs again, It may be that they did this without talking to Izzy because Izzy is not part of that partnership since he left thet back in 1991. I would think that the guys would love to have Izzy involved in whats going on right now but maybe they have not talked about it yet and it sounds to me like Izzy is a bit upset that they have put this together without him. Maybe the guys think that Izzy will come up and do some songs with the band but it seams to me that Izzy wants back in the partnership now that the other 3 are working together again. Sure the shows are going to sellout with or without Izzy just like they did in 1992 but I think the difference is now that Izzy wants to be very much involved now. Izzy doen't like to do press and the fact that he has come out doing it now is a huge statement. I think they will workout something with Izzy and probably Steven too in addition to what ever other musicians are also in the band. These are just my thoughts no one has told me anything.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting.

The question is will they want him back in if it means giving him an equal share?

The problem for Izzy is that these days the money is made from live shows. These shows sell out with or without Izzy. His real value would be in development of new records but most of the classic acts have altered their models to only do that a couple of times a decade if that.

AtariLegend wrote:

Do we know what the ticket sales are like currently? Neemo mentioned Toronto being sold out, but the other locations?

Board footer