You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

BLS-Pride wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Do we know what the ticket sales are like currently? Neemo mentioned Toronto being sold out, but the other locations?

I'm hearing Metlife is selling really well.. although I could be wrong.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This was from last month for what it's worth, Canter's take on Izzy.

recklessroad wrote:

All I know is that 9 years ago (which is the last time I talked to him) Izzy was very much into getting the AFD lineup back together. It sounds to me that the partnership that owns the old GNR which is Axl, Slash, and Duff and now that they are booking gigs again, It may be that they did this without talking to Izzy because Izzy is not part of that partnership since he left thet back in 1991. I would think that the guys would love to have Izzy involved in whats going on right now but maybe they have not talked about it yet and it sounds to me like Izzy is a bit upset that they have put this together without him. Maybe the guys think that Izzy will come up and do some songs with the band but it seams to me that Izzy wants back in the partnership now that the other 3 are working together again. Sure the shows are going to sellout with or without Izzy just like they did in 1992 but I think the difference is now that Izzy wants to be very much involved now. Izzy doen't like to do press and the fact that he has come out doing it now is a huge statement. I think they will workout something with Izzy and probably Steven too in addition to what ever other musicians are also in the band. These are just my thoughts no one has told me anything.

Interesting.

The question is will they want him back in if it means giving him an equal share?

The problem for Izzy is that these days the money is made from live shows. These shows sell out with or without Izzy. His real value would be in development of new records but most of the classic acts have altered their models to only do that a couple of times a decade if that.

No chance of Izzy being included in the partnership. Literally no chance. Even if he was offered to be in the band and they ditch Fortus, they wouldn't include him in that again. I wouldn't either if you simply look at it from a financial standpoint which all involved most certainly did even if its not just about the money. There is too much money at stake and they aren't going to start including various ex members at such a level. If you let Izzy in, what about Adler? Apples and hand grenades i know but other members would piss and moan and even if they didn't, such a move gives them more leverage....Sorum for example. Give Izzy whatever it is he wants, consider Sorum down the road, he's going to want a piece of the pie as well.

Another thing although obvious....its not like Izzy isn't going to make something from this. Its guaranteed the album/singles sales go way up over the next few years and even if all they do is GH/box sets of old material, he gets money from that.

We also don't know the exact level of participation he was expecting. Just saying he wanted to get the AFD 5 back together is too general of a statement. Its a much more complex situation than that.

In a perfect world Izzy never leaves to begin with. I wish we knew more details on his 91 departure. I'm just glad I got to see them right before he bailed.

MOnkey, I wasn't comparing Gilby to Sorum in that regard. I know Matt is a more crucial member of that era but I do think they are equals in regards to current events. They are both equally needed in 2016 and beyond. Would it make the story a bit more interesting if one or both of them got involved? Maybe but it just adds extra baggage and the potential for drama. I want drama kept to a minimum. I'm sure they do as well.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I see where you are going...let me be clear aside from hardcores I don't think the general public gives to much of a shit about either of them.

That said, I think Matt has the stronger brand recognition. As well as his GNR background, Matt got some recognition from Velvet Revolver. Gilby to my knowledge has never been involved in another large scale project other than Supernova which wasn't well received.  Not trying to piss on Gilby, I'm just saying I think Matt  is a notch above him on the fame ladder these days.

Additionally my personal viewpoint is that Richard is replacing Gilby more successfully than Frank is replacing Matt. Sorry to keep shitting on frank - it's not personal - but I do notice it - put it like this - if you air guitar along to the rhythm part you will nail it - but if you air drum along to the drumming you'll find bits missing.

That said I doubt anyone cares but like 4 or 5 forum nerds like me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the fact they're going forward with Frank, Richard and Melissa, and playing CD material is a really good omen about this being a band with a future and not a nostalgia tour you'd get with Matt, Gilby, Izzy or Steven.

They can milk it for the reunion aspect for millions and keep going in Axl's direction. Its obviously why they haven't used the word reunion and aren't talking. They're letting the optics market this thing.

James

James wrote:

I agree that casuals will not care to that extent and take into consideration casuals will be filling stadiums. Matt has a huge thing going against him....the revolving door. This isn't a situation like with Soundgarden where Cameron had to bail on a leg of the tour due to PJ commitments and fans weren't too happy. Everyone knows the GNR story and that the lineup is not the most stable.

He also has one thing going for him.....UYI. Just like I predicted years ago, UYI songs that have not been performed by GNR in eons would be a huge selling point for a reunion tour. Matt is associated with UYI obviously. Without Izzy though, including Matt makes less than zero sense. He's one of the pieces of UYI puzzle that doesn't fit without Izzy/Gilby also onstage.

He's also known for some drama queen antics. He's also notorious for his partying and you can safely guess it would go through the roof on a tour of this magnitude. If you were to draw up a list of pros and cons, the cons far outweigh the pros which I'm sure makes Bri happy.  19

GNR can handle this reunion era in so many different ways which makes it really interesting from a hardcore fan perspective. They could either make the current lineup the final one, or they could roll out different lineups at different stages over the next few years to maximize profits and draw more attention to it. Their strategy might even be a work in progress.

I am interested in new/old material being released and would prefer a stable lineup in place that works towards that instead of the main focus being just a massive on/off tour that includes various ex members throughout.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

If they ever come to fruition when it comes to writing and recording new material I sincerely hope that Izzy at the very least will get to be a part of that.

Hell, it needs to happen - it absolutely must happen given the circumstances.

If not then what a terrible, terrible waste.

James

James wrote:

As much as I want CD II to be released, I agree. The core group(Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy) deserve one more album together before its all over. It should not have ended at UYI and the few TSI songs recorded in 91. They have too much talent/chemistry to not make one final swing for the fences.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think the fact they're going forward with Frank, Richard and Melissa, and playing CD material is a really good omen about this being a band with a future and not a nostalgia tour you'd get with Matt, Gilby, Izzy or Steven.

Pitman sure didn't see it that way 16 16 16 16

Anyways I agree the focus should be moving forward rather than just nostalgic based shows. But for me those ideas don't have to me mutually exclusive. If we can move forward with Slash as the guitarist then we could move forward with Matt as the drummer.

To be honest to me if they're moving forward it becomes more important. The backing players in a live setting doesn't matter so much. Studio versions we will have for the rest of our lives. Based on UYI and VR I have more confidence in Matt to deliver great drums for the songs in the studio than I do Frank who is a bit of an unknown quantity when it comes to composing drum beats for the songs. I know he re-did the drums on 3 songs or whatever...but we don't know how he'd go from scratch...whereas even the less interesting VR stuff like libertad all had great drumming.

But hey...things are going pretty well at the moment so i'll live with it.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

In a perfect world an unaltered version of what Chinese Democracy and its subsequent follow-up(s) were originally supposed to be would get released as one double or even triple album.

This band should continue to focus on going forward with their own ideas and create new music while leaving the past behind.

It's time.

James

James wrote:

Pitman sure didn't see it that way

In a perfect world an unaltered version of what Chinese Democracy and its subsequent follow-up(s) were originally supposed to be would get released as one double or even triple album.

This band should continue to focus on going forward with their own ideas and create new music while leaving the past behind.

It's time.

Yeah... in a perfect world.

I would like that as well....but at this point in time it would be confusing in a general sense to the public at large. An album recorded mainly in 99-01 with some bells and whistles added since being released during a reunion, without Slash on them? I think the ship has sailed on that currently. In the future I can imagine such a box set but IMO if we were getting the CD era's version of that material, flying it under the radar like KISS did with their album COS would have made more sense if that was intended.

I do agree....its time for GNR's King Animal.

Board footer