You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

buzzsaw wrote:

Not sure duff's career is better than dizzy's?  Did someone really write that?

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

polluxlm wrote:
TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Why is there a difference between Duff and Dizzy's contributions? How many hits have Duff written without Axl? How many have Slash?

If we're talking about hits (and not personal opinion about the songs) post UYI's, then Duff objectively has a much better record than Dizzy given his work on Contraband and to a lesser extent Libertad and IFOCS (Beggars, co-written by Duff, charted pretty damn well).

I also think you're underestimating how much of a public spokesperson Duff was for the band back in the day. Whenever Slash wasn't available, Duff would be the guy everyone went to. You don't become a beer on the Simpsons without a public image.

polluxlm wrote:

If we look at song writing the common denominator appears to be Axl, with Slash playing. Everybody else is a mere contributor. If Slash had been on CD it would surely have generated some big hits, and then you are suddenly looking at the same role for Dizzy and Tobias as you do Duff in the old band.

Again, here I disagree with you, but this is more about personal taste than anything. Everyone will likely agree that neither Slash, Duff nor Axl have produced anything that comes close to what they had written together in the past (same goes for Izzy). The more of those core 4 people were included in a solo project, the higher the songwriting quality. So Axl somehow being the linchpin to GnR's songwriting prowess is bullcrap, IMHO. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: to me the best post-GNR songs are on Contraband and IFOCS. Slash's later solo albums all fall short of those two, as does Chinese.

CD (single) performed better on the Hot 100 than anything from VR, so not sure if Duff's post UYI career is that much better than Dizzy's. CD (album) is a decent effort to be part of.

I doubt a majority on these boards would agree VR wrote better tunes than GN'R these last 20 years. CD may not have been a huge hit commercially but I get the impression most fans think it was far closer to GN'R quality than anything Slash & Co ever did on their own. And whichever way you slize it, if we take GN'Rs biggest hits the only common denominator is Axl as a songwriter. I also include Slash on guitar since I believe that is important. Did Duff make a big difference either way there? I don't think so. I think NR and SCOM could be released with any other bass player and be as big hits as they were. Remove Axl and Slash and the equation changes.

His image marketability is also overrated. Bigger than Dizzy's for sure, but not significant like Axl and Slash. In the end he is a bit player like Dizzy, albeit of course more prominent than him. That doesn't make him integral.

Um...I think Duff is more important than you seem to realize...his bass on SCOM for example is awesome and he for sure has his own style...take Duff's bass off of any of the older GNR songs and replace it with "any other bassist" and it would NOT sound the same...well unless you have never paid any attention to the awesome bass playing of course...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Slash McKagan wrote:

Um...I think Duff is more important than you seem to realize...his bass on SCOM for example is awesome and he for sure has his own style...take Duff's bass off of any of the older GNR songs and replace it with "any other bassist" and it would NOT sound the same...well unless you have never paid any attention to the awesome bass playing of course...

Wouldn't sound the same, but would still be hits. Duff is not integral to the success of GN'R. If we are talking song writing Izzy is far more important, and the band did fine without him back in the 90s. Most people didn't even notice.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Dizzy is as important as Duff? GTFO

Absolutely.

Do you really think that the general audience knows, and gives two flying shits that Duff fucking McKagan is there? I don't give a damn how many MyGNR nerds post in the comment section on Yahoo articles, to the general public, again... a reunion = Axl & Slash.

Know why?

Duff performed with Axl & Dizzy for several shows as GN'R in 2014... and N-O-B-O-D-Y C-A-R-E-D.

Outside of the diehards

All of the sudden Slash comes back, and we're talking $3-4 million a show, there the #1 story in rock for the last 6 months, other than a few rock star deaths.

So yes... Duff is as important as Dizzy. So why didn't Dizzy get a slice of the pie? 26 years is a lot of loyalty. My only guess is Dizzy has no writing credits on the old catalog, and/or Dizzy was asked and decline (which would be dumb, but then again -- Izzy declined too).

Why does Duff get all this credit? What makes him so special from a business standpoint, and a money standpoint? Let's be honest... this is ALL ABOUT -- SLASH being back.

Duff is the glue between Axl and Slash. The fact Duff and Axl hooked up after many years is likely the main reason Axl changed his mind on Slash. Duff is a cool, smart guy and I have no doubt he played pracemaker here.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

By those criteria Paul Huge is critically important to GN'R per Axl's admission.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

By those criteria Paul Huge is critically important to GN'R per Axl's admission.

Critically important to breaking it up. I feel all 5 of the Appetite guys were important from a musical standpoint. Each of them helped GN'R stand out from every other band on the Sunset Strip. Dizzy Reed doesn't mean jack squat.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Critically important to breaking it up. I feel all 5 of the Appetite guys were important from a musical standpoint. Each of them helped GN'R stand out from every other band on the Sunset Strip. Dizzy Reed doesn't mean jack squat.

Paul had nothing to do with why Axl and Slash fell out. Not even Slash blamed it on him back in 95, he blamed it on Axl bringing in a new guy without his consent.

But he had something to do with Axl continuing the band after that.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Paul had nothing to do with why Axl and Slash fell out. Not even Slash blamed it on him back in 95, he blamed it on Axl bringing in a new guy without his consent.

But Huge had something to do with Axl continuing the band after that.

That's a bad thing. Would have been better off staying in his mansion the last 20 years and not taking a shit on the GNR legacy.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

You don't like CD?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^oh snap!

Ur opinion obviously. .. but there are some cool tunes that were made outside of the original partnership

I think, personally, that the side projects and solo careers needed to happen...there was a lot of huge egos and personal problems back in 93 and some of them didn't get resolved even as recently as 2007

They needed time apart...It's just too bad it took almost 25 years to get back together

Board footer