You are not logged in. Please register or login.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

supaplex wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dizzy is more than a touring piano player, but a songwriting partner also. No reason to diminish the guy...

Didn't mean to, sorry 19
AFD happened without him, and most of UIY was written before he came on.
Writing partner to... CD? Because we haven't heard much from them since UYI.

So why is he on the same level as Duff, i don't know.
People at least have heard of Duff. Dizzy, i'm not so sure.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I read Duff's book. I think that is probably the best story at the moment of how GNR was formed. Without Duff, there would have been no GNR. He put the pieces together and planned the hell tour which unified them as a band. His role in the very beginning was vital.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Also, Duff is a pretty fucking good bass player. Being in all those bands growing up really helped him. He played guitar, bass, and drums. So he could relate to the other guys. Also he was part of the partnership with Slash and Duff. This isn't about throwing Duff a bone, this is almost the legal obligation. Haha

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Without Duff, there would have been no GNR.

If by Duff you mean Izzy then I agree....without Duff there would have been no GNR. 16

Also, Duff is a pretty fucking good bass player.

Pretty good? He's fucking killer. Great tone. You know its him as soon as you hear it and it can be a song you're listening to for the first time.

His backing vocals are criminally underrated. Duff and Izzy's backing vocals are pure gold and IMO there's no one better in that department.

apex...I liked that drum solo......at least the first time I heard it. By the millionth I think it was time to put it out to pasture.

Loved that jam they did right after his solo.

edit: Not the best example of it. Slash is clearly wasted there and fucks it up but I'm fairly sure you've all heard it before. 16

Actually I hope they throw that jam into the set during this reunion.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
supaplex wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dizzy is more than a touring piano player, but a songwriting partner also. No reason to diminish the guy...

Didn't mean to, sorry 19
AFD happened without him, and most of UIY was written before he came on.
Writing partner to... CD? Because we haven't heard much from them since UYI.

So why is he on the same level as Duff, i don't know.
People at least have heard of Duff. Dizzy, i'm not so sure.

Personally I wouldn't put dizzy on the same level as Duff as duff plays on AFD and Lies as well...he's a founding member for all intents and purposes  (I don't really consider that Ole Beich counts in this respect as I doubt the band would have been signed to Geffen without the AFD crew).

That said I also don't think Dizzy should be minimised.

He was a legit part of UYI and of course the CD era.....and Slash's book to me made it sound like Dizzy was around for a lot of songwriting for UYI.

AtariLegend wrote:

Supposedly another pre-sale today http://gunsnroses.com/forum/main/3170123

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Dizzy was "around" the band since the beginning of it all. The rehersal space they rented was right next door to Dizzy's band. Dizzy's band crashed and burned and it was an easy transition. That is how he got in GNR. They rented a storage unite right next to Guns.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

(I don't really consider that Ole Beich counts in this respect as I doubt the band would have been signed to Geffen without the AFD crew).

Absolutely. He's the tiniest footnote in the band's history. His only importance is the fact his almost immediate departure opened the door for someone else.

Yep....they go NOWHERE without the AFD 5. Put Traci in Slash's place....no chance. Put Ole in Duff's place....same thing. Put anyone in Izzy's place.......GNR don't exist on any level. Doesn't matter how great Axl's vocals, writing ability, or charisma was....he wasn't going anywhere either without that AFD lineup. He would've wound up in one of those D level hair bands that got lost to history as soon as Cobain told people what teen spirit smelled like.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Dizzy was "around" the band since the beginning of it all. The rehersal space they rented was right next door to Dizzy's band. Dizzy's band crashed and burned and it was an easy transition. That is how he got in GNR. They rented a storage unite right next to Guns.

This

But regardless, just to Epilogue this entire thread, the band has decided -- AFD 5 and pretty much every guy that was on the "Hell tour" (where they all bonded, ALL of them have said they were brothers during that tour)... AFD 5 is what they consider -- "Guns N' Roses". Steven was fired (for obvious reasons), and Izzy decided to leave and doesn't want back in full-time ala Mick Taylor with the Stones. Fair enough. Which leaves Axl, Slash & Duff.

I just was surprised, that's all. I still think Dizzy turned it down. I think Axl would've been absolutely willing to say, "Slash & Duff, you're in in this equal partnership, but Dizzy comes with the package deal"

Slash & Duff are fucking cool dudes. They would've been a-okay with that, and I don't think Axl would've slighted Dizzy. I think Dizzy turned it down and Izzy too, and that's that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Wait you're saying Dizzy turned down a GNR reunion slot?

Why in god's name would he do that?

He's been loyal to Axl right through the Chinese Democracy saga.

Didn't Axl once autograph Dizzy's girl's vulva? Still on stage next night.

He even skipped he Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in solidarity.

(Sorry don't buy into the "I didn't want to pay for my tickets" story - sure it sucks to have to pay for your tickets. That's fucked. But come on. Telling me if Axl had gone, and if the old/new band had reunited live at the hall of fame Dizzy would have missed the show cos he didn't want to buy his mom a ticket or whatever he said at the time. No disrespect intended to Dizzy but I think he chose the politically correct option - how could he go hang with Slash/Matt then race off with DJ/Frank on the next CD tour at the time. He took a political out there.)

Anyway I'll i'm saying is, Dizzy has fun with dead daisies and whatever else, but no way he turns down GNR shows.

Board footer