You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: Nightrain Official Site

Rex wrote:

Bottom line though is that Slash never seemed to like the ballads and the piano type tracks - even the ones he made epic like Estranged and NR - they've always been a compromise - Slash just wants to play AFD type rockers. He even complains in his book about Axl adding synth to PC and other songs.

I think Slash has changed his tune, playing songs with Adam Levine n shit

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Rex wrote:

Bottom line though is that Slash never seemed to like the ballads and the piano type tracks - even the ones he made epic like Estranged and NR - they've always been a compromise - Slash just wants to play AFD type rockers. He even complains in his book about Axl adding synth to PC and other songs.

I think Slash has changed his tune, playing songs with Adam Levine n shit

He always did that.

Guess he just didn't like it in GN'R.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Slash wanted it to be like early Aerosmith and Axl wanted it to be like Queen ... and Slash felt that some of the less rocking stuff was better suited to solo work and Axl thought it should all be GNR to show diversity

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think Slash minded a ballad or epic here and there but with Axl every song was becoming an epic. Lol. He wanted more Don't Damn Me and Less Breakdown, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like Breakdown.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The success of AFD and UYI should have erased all doubt in Slash' mind on whether Axl knew what he was doing. All the synth and piano is what propelled them from just another hard rock band into world beaters. A status buttering Slash' bread to this day.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The synth on Paradise City is such bullshit. Completely unnecessary. The guitar riffs by Slash and Izzy on that song are some of the catchiest riffs ever. And they even start off with that catchy-as-fuck chorus before getting into the verses. I wish there was a way to get an AFD studio version of that song without synth on it.

One thing that I do think is a shame is that Slash seems embarrassed by the ballads. He shouldn't be. The solos and riffs on Sweet Child, Don't Cry, Patience, November Rain, and Estranged are some of his best work and help distinguish Slash's sound from every other guitarist on the planet. When you hear those solos on the Illusion trilogy, you know damn well it's Slash. His tone was fucking killer on those songs. Don't Cry was the very first GN'R song and I think it's a damn shame he never plays it in his solo act, but at the same time I am glad to not hear Myles butcher that one. That's the one song I always feel Axl has nailed when you look at the live performances all the way from 1986 to the Mickey Mouse era. Maybe it's the fact that it was the first song so he gives it special effort, who knows.

At the same time, I wonder if some of Slash's problem with those songs is that he is bitter about songwriting credits. I feel it was wrong that Axl took 100% credit for November Rain and Estranged even if they were already real songs on piano without any other instruments. Slash's guitar work took them to another level. I would say a 70% Axl, 30% Slash credit would be fair (or even 80/20)...Slash deserved to get more than "thanks for the solos and riffs" in the liner notes. Don't Cry is credited 100% to Izzy and Axl, but I think Slash's solo elevates that one as well and he probably should have gotten some kind of credit there.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

And by '93 gnr was a joke with their dolphins and excesses accompanied by the rise of grunge and hip hop in full swing which no doubt brought slashs argument full circle

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Slash wanted it to be like early Aerosmith and Axl wanted it to be like Queen ... and Slash felt that some of the less rocking stuff was better suited to solo work and Axl thought it should all be GNR to show diversity

If Slash had his way we never would have gotten songs like Sweet Child or Don't Cry. He's just wrong about what GN'R is in my opinion. It's not just straight forward hard rock. If that was the case then every song should have been a rehash, like AC/DC. Appetite had the "G" side for drugs/booze/violence and the "R" side for romance and girls.

Don't Cry was the first GN'R song written. This emotional element has always been part of the band. The fact that their ballads actually resonate whereas every other band of that time period came across like a joke for the most part kind of shows what made GN'R special. He wanted to fucking throw away the Sweet Child riff for goodness sake. Luckily for us Izzy and Duff stepped in and said, "Wait a second dude, you stumbled on to something great with that supposed clown/circus riff."

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash got FUCK on writing credits for sure.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I like the synth on PC. Its part of that epic sound on that intro. Wouldn't change a thing.

Board footer