You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Steven Tyler says that he has been working on the return of GN'R

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The most vocal one of all(Slash) will be in the deepest doo doo although the GNR brand itself could not recover either.

True, but one of the things giving me the creeps about this reunion is the level of silence from Slash about it.

I know they've officially confirmed it with the twitter posts and so on....but still....compare this with the level of promo slash did for his solo album or anything else and it gives me the vibe that a "big machine" a'int behind this effort.

Slash and Duff may be back but this is going down in the secret squirrel way of the past 20 years - right down to the interview cancellation on TV the other week.

I mean, god, what should have happened (hahah imagine how Axl would hate me reading about what he SHOULD do haha) but from an industry perspective they should be doing interviews, slash riding the guitar mags, new album dropping, huge world tour, slash and duff attending the opening of an envelope...that it's not going down like that either means they're planning something massive....or....

Everything still is going the team brazil way and slash is smart enough now to know that he needs to shut up in the media to not piss off Axl and destroy it......which makes me worry about how close everyone is....seems more like they've been invited to rejoin the band...but they're not exactly hanging out writing songs in the back of van together either would be my guess......

James Lofton wrote:

You bring up Van Halen.....and it may be a very valid reunion to compare it to. VH were very silent during the entire run. Hardcore fans were livid.

Ahh...there was such a buzz about VH on here that I think i must have remembered it wrongly then.

I'll stick with my Ac/Dc Rock or Bust example then - look at how the band handled the forced (via illness) retirement of younger and key member malcom and the loss of classic era drummer phil rudd. They came back with a new album and Angus and Brian did the circus err...circuit of the media.

I guess what i'm saying is when those things happened, they felt planned, they felt like the industry, labels and media was behind it.

This to me feels more like everyone went "sure why not" and are going around trying not to fuck it up.

Like why did Axl cancel that tv show? Why don't they just say which drummers they use?

Will this be a one off show or a world tour? Does the band plan to record?

What is to be gained from the secrecy?

Don't mean to be complaining i'm just wondering why it's happening as it is....and without an explanation I worry not much has changed...which is to me a worry...as the past 30 years of Axl's career have seen him release 1 album, 1 dvd and 1 soundtrack song or something along those lines. Up to him what he does I know....it just seems a waste of someone I consider to be amongst the best talents ever.

Don't get me wrong some reunion shows are great, but in the history of the world...more GNR recordings would trump playing jungle one more time.

Then again when i say stuff like that I understand why Axl gets over it all, i mean who wants to be responsible for the history of the world lol

James Lofton wrote:

I already said this but its great to see you back. I wish you had been here when this reunion hoopla first started.

Thanks dude - great to be back smile

Good observations. There is definitely a sense of Slash and Duff joining Axl's routine here. Even if tour dates were still being negotiated there is no reason to not go on tv and say "we are doing a tour, we're back, we'll be all over the place". Feed the media a juicy story or two and let the click bait start. Why not do something like that? Because that's not how Axl's band operates. Here everything is a maybe at the last minute. Slash and Duff probably haven't even met Axl yet.

At the moment there is little feeling this is being handled professionally, full out. It appears Axl has given the nod on a reunion, literally, a now everything is being handled with baby steps. TV interview is booked, then cancelled. Coachella which should have been the big return, is now being usurped by Vegas shows. The grand strategy isn't looking like a whole lot. All signs leading to a normal state of affairs, with every decision being tip toed in front of Axl, mulled and weighed. Inconclusive ramblings coming back, directives maybe. A show here, a show there. A media appearance, if he gets around to it.

We could very well be looking at a situation where they agreed they didn't hate each other a few years ago. Exchanging some texts as Slash said. Then Axl's people approached him and Duff with the prospect of a reunion. But keep quiet about it. And that's where we are at. Every prospective player on the tour not saying diddly squat about it. Because they all know Axl, they all know better than to even pass wind when the biggest carrot of their present careers is at stake. You can't even get Stevie Adler to make a peep when for once every media outlet is interested in what he has to say.

Hope to God I am wrong and this won't just be Slash and Duff filling in for DJ and Tommy on the Team Brazil nostalgia tour.

I think you're just paranoid about Axl & TB's way of working.

I think so far this thing has been handled beautifully. I don't feel Slash's comments in that interview last year about burying the hatchet with Axl was by accident. I think plans were already underway. It had already been a year since Ron left, and Ron dropped hints about "something else" is happening and refused to comment further. He knew. Not long after that DJ left, and there had been rumors Tommy had been out for months as well, but when Tommy was asked, he just retreated back to "I don't know what they're doing", but there seemed to be an idea that Tommy knew EXACTLY what they were doing. He was just passing the football down the field, and avoiding the subject.

What has happened, is FOR ONCE, Axl's silence gimmick has actually worked in Guns favor. They are more than likely trying to get the business into a bidding war over GN'R, and the price just goes higher and higher. They also are probably taking different bids on a re-grouping lineup tour vs. AFD 5 tour, and what the logistics of that would be if Steven or Izzy become full-time "Part-time" members. We also don't know, and there have been rumors, of them trying to negotiate the release of the next album. Whether Slash & Duff are a part of that, either studio or live -- who knows? But there are other chips being moved.
I don't believe Eddie Trunk for a second that this is all about "taking it easy, seeing how it goes", and that's the reason for the silence. Surely Axl & his camp knows how HUGE this would all be. One of the difficulties of having Team Brazil handle this is that they aren't qualified to handle this, but yet they are the only management group Axl trusts. This is integral. Other more qualified groups (Irving Azoff) who would nail something like this -- Axl doensn't trust. But obviously those doors are still open because AEG is apart of this re-grouping. So there are still professionals involved, on some level.

Remember, Slash & Duff don't run the business aspect of GN'R. This is still Axl's show. Slash & Duff might get a cut, and some say, but Axl still has executive decision. What this means, is NONE of them have a concrete answer for the slew of questions they'll surely be asked. This is the honest reason (imo) Axl cancelled his Jimmy Kimmel appearence. This is also the reason for the deafening silence from not just Slash & Duff, but also Steven & Matt.

Why not just come right out and admit what's going on? Do promo and make this whole thing huge... because nothing is ready to be announced right now. There is no tour announcement right now, yet industry insiders have said, the same that called the reunion last year -- have all said "yes, this is being worked on". What do they have to gain? Well... it depends. I'm sure the price for this rumored tour will be an entirely different number if it's Axl, Slash, Duff & Dizzy with new Guns vs. AFD 5 + Dizzy - Chris. Not to mention an AFD 5 tour means a bigger cut for others, mainly Izzy. Izzy isn't going to take Richard money to do a show like this, and surely Slash isn't going to let Steven get hosed on fee, so he, Axl & Duff can get rich off of it.

Those are two entirely different bids. Do different promotions. People keep saying, "it's up to the band to decide what they want to do". That could be very true. The band could be deciding between touring a reboot version, picking up where they left off in 1993, or they could be mulling a full reunion tour. Again, who knows?

But having the silence isn't business as usual... not this time imo. There's a methodology behind it. Axl, Slash & TB HAVE TO KNOW, that the first moment that Axl & Slash embrace or are seen on a stage that it's gonna be a huge moment. HUGE. I'd say bigger than Roger or David or Robert & Jimmy, mainly because Axl & Slash were NOT on good terms for such a long time, although they never reached a level of absolute hatred, but they certainly skirted it for a long time. Izzy came across as more hateful towards Axl than any of them.

We also don't know what the stipulations of the deal with Coachella is. Coachella is televised every year on both TV and internet. There could be contractual obligations that the first appearence must be with Coachella. "Yeah, but what about Vegas?" Vegas more than likely are truly warm-up shows, and are not going to be televised in any form. I also think the band will use the hype of cellphone recordings to try to hype the Coachella appearence on a mainstream level. BUT... for that to work properly, Axl has to come in and at least be 2010 Axl, not the crap he's been since 2011. Axl has to come in and nail the warm-up show, lol. But... it could be where their head is.

So far, nobody has had to spend a dime on promo, yet it's all the music industry has talked about. So it's definitely working for them right now, as opposed to against them.

monkeychow wrote:

On a related note...I remember Axl saying it was fun playing with Izzy again...and then it was less fun later when he found out what Izzy had charged them (or words to that effect)...but it's notable to me that Izzy came back without Axl handling that side of the negotiation...could be similar here...Slash and Duff are back but the terms of the deal has been done entirely by management.

I wonder if it's not even some trial basis - like slash has agreed to a handful of shows to see how it goes. Or Axl has agreed only to do a limited number of shows in general as his project for this year. No one has discussed recording, mounting a world tour or anything real as that might lead to a disagreement, and slash is hiding from the media as they will ask him questions he can't answer.

Hopefully i'm full of shit and there's something huge backstage.

But I remember when Axl said in 2002 someone booked a tour without him knowing, and I remember when he went on the trunk TV show and was told about it 30 mins prior.

Seems people kind of make plans in secret, then just wing it and run it past Axl when he seems to be in a good mood. Which might work I guess....but it's a shame when you think how this could be handled....

Where's the AFD remaster? Where's Chinese 2? Where's a new EP or something? Who is the drummer?

I guess they're all in my ass lol wink

It's sacrilege but sometimes I miss the influence of a major corporation like Geffen back in the 80s handling this stuff.

I have never ever bought that Izzy stuff about the "charging them" thing. This was in 2006, and Izzy was obviously brought back SEVERAL times later, and also stayed loyal to Axl to the last few years, mainly during the Rock Hall fiasco with Axl, Izzy & Dizzy on their island, and Slash, Duff, Steven & Matt on theirs. I think the Izzy charging them thing was a miscommunication or disagreement, and when Axl was interviewed and made that statement it was at a time he was feuding with Izzy. Next week they could be best buddies. It seems Izzy has this same relationship with Slash & Duff as well. Izzy is Izzy, and is consistently unpredictable.

I do believe that if they are considering a 25-date summer tour, there could be considerations to put out a 2-disc best-of set, as well as Chinese II. We also don't know if Chinese II will feature re-records from Slash & Duff, not only on CD2, but also a re-release of Chinese as 2nd disc with Slash & Duff re-records, in an effort to just wipe the CD era completely off the map and pretend like Robin, Bucket, DJ, Ron, Paul, & Tommy were ever there, and make them more traditional GN'R songs in an effort to be more mass marketable.

In other words, the silence could be there, not because they are not doing anything, but because they are doing something. They could be *drum roll* -- WORKING on stuff. Something GN'R fans are completely NOT used to, lol. At least not since the early 90's, haha.

I also never bought the whole "I was only told 30 minutes ahead" of the Eddie Trunk thing in Miami. If Axl was truly THAT fragile, Axl wouldn't even be able to go out of the fucking house without needing a multitude of medications. I don't buy that. Axl may have trust issues, but he's far too high functioning to be that crazy. He might be a dick, but crazy -- I don't buy it.

If Axl was told 30 minutes ahead of time, that's because he has PISS POOR management. Not because he's a child.

According to Tommy, Axl was directly communicating with him involving new tours when Tommy had to decline them and what ultimately led to the return of Mr. Duff "Rose" McKagan.

I don't blame you for wanting a big corporation like Geffen to be behind this push, but Axl doesn't trust them, and frankly I don't blame him. Ever watch the History of the Eagles documentary? David Geffen basically helped build The Eagles, and The Eagles got hosed and they VERY MUCH trusted him and he screwed them royally, and they sued and there was NO LOVE LOST between them and him. Geffen was also, despite 30 years in the future, unapologetic about giving them a horrible deal that basically paid him 60% of their royalties off of their earlier records. You could see Geffen felt he was OWED that money and had no regrets about fucking them over.

If that's the kind of man that Axl & GN'R were working with back in the day, I could totally see why Axl trusts no one in the business, and wants to only work with Team Brazil, and everyone else can fuck off. He wants people he can trust around him imo. And that's been a priority since the Yoda days. Axl was consulting fringe psychics, because he had such a distrust of industry people and assistants and management. I don't blame him. These people are scum sucking dogs that would kill their own mother for an extra $10 bucks this week.

Neemo wrote:

Ur prolly right monkey...they prolly don't know exactly how this is gonna play out or how ludicrous it could be so baby steps...they are prolly also taking advantage of the built in hype as everyone wonders what the band will look like on that first show

I imagine there is lot's of legal ramblings happening behind the scenes too to get this thing in order

This. Neemo totally nails it. This is BIG. Really BIG. There's probably an ARMY of lawyers that negotiated this, in addition to TB, AEG, and the big 'uns of Axl, Slash & Duff, who are business-minded guys as well.

The silence has played right into their hands so far, and the Star Wars teaser was a total coup. Good on them.

And again, agreed on the legal ramblings. Right now, there's A-LOT of moving parts to this, and Axl, Slash & Duff just do not have answers to the questions everyone wants to know right now. I still think they are trying to work Izzy, Steven and possibly even Matt into this somehow, and figuring what the logistics of it will be, plus what kind of money they are looking at for a Mark XI lineup tour vs. the price for an AFD 5 reunion tour, as well as what catalog material they have they can put out.

Something of this scale takes time.

James Lofton wrote:

Ahh...there was such a buzz about VH on here that I think i must have remembered it wrongly then.

I meant that fans were livid over how things were handled post reunion. People were certainly excited Roth was back. It was when people realized Eddie had placed a gag ball in Roth's mouth that people realized it wasn't going to be how they had always envisioned it.

I miss the influence of a major corporation like Geffen

Me too. The whole new GNR era was handled terrible start to finish.

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Monkey, you said Axl has only released 1 album in 30 years. Might want to check your math on that one. 30 years ago was 1986, not 1996. tongue

Oppps...sorry typo....should be 20 years!

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative to Axl...I just love his songs so much that it intrigues me - I feel it's really notable how many products came out back in the 'heyday' compared to now.

I wonder what changed? Did Axl run out of ideas? (The talk of his friends suggests not), Does the business side overwhelm him? (Sounds like the label issues/fights cause a lot of problems), Does he just not want to?

I just think it's a shame, obviously Axl has enough money that he can do whatever he likes in life, but when someone is so good at something...and when you think one day there will be no more chances....it makes me kinda wistful of what could be.

It's like how Duff gave an interview after the bomb of libertad saying he felt VR hadn't yet written their best album. That's not going to happen now.

When people talk of the CD saga they talk of blame and what people should do. It's not even about that to me. It's just a shame things have worked out how they have: Classic GNR is one of the best bands of all time, and I'll confess I'm a huge fan of Chinese Democracy too whether or not "it is GNR" and all that. In some other universe there's more classic GNR or the follow ups to CD actually happened.

Hopefully this reunion sparks the release of some vintage material at least.

I guess if I was Axl i'd feel all that as pressure, but hey, it's hard as a fan - how can you not want more of what you like?

He's one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of music. One of a kind voice and basically wasted 10 years of his prime (mid-90's to mid-2000's). But the flip side is that he has had a lot of mental problems to deal with and you could say we are lucky to have as much material as we do. Based on all the issues he had as a kid and teenager, he probably belongs in jail or a mental institution.

I think alot of this has been overblown over the years, and Axl has said so himself. He did one interview with RS in 1992, and suddenly his craziness hit almost mythic status by the time he did a follow-up interview with RS in 2000. It's only grown over time. People still talk about cancellations and late shows, but if you look at GN'R as a whole as a touring outfit in the last 30 years, it's been a drop in the bucket and Axl has a great batting average at being on time, prepared, and professional.

But that's not how the media plays it. And it's just kind of went on and on.

The last place someone like Axl Rose should be is in jail or a mental institution. Jails just make psychotics more evil, and mental institutions take normal, unique people and turn them psychotic. It's a big waste. Axl is a kink to the system, and just doesn't operate the way they do, and that fucks their world up and they have to adapt to how he works. He's kind of like the Trump of the rock world.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

But having the silence isn't business as usual... not this time imo. There's a methodology behind it. Axl, Slash & TB HAVE TO KNOW, that the first moment that Axl & Slash embrace or are seen on a stage that it's gonna be a huge moment. HUGE. I'd say bigger than Roger or David or Robert & Jimmy, mainly because Axl & Slash were NOT on good terms for such a long time, although they never reached a level of absolute hatred, but they certainly skirted it for a long time. Izzy came across as more hateful towards Axl than any of them.

I don't think Slash hated Axl, he just had problems with Axl's antics (like showing up late to gigs, replacing Slash's guitar parts with other people, acting like a dictator in general, etc). At one point in the late 1980's, Keith Richards told Slash that you never quit no matter what. I think Slash took that advice very seriously and hung on as long as he could.

But there was absolute hatred on Axl's part directed at Slash. "He's a cancer that should have left after Appetite," throwing out fans who wore shirts with Slash on them to early nu-GNR gigs, "Where's Slash? He's in my ass," and on and on.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

There's a thin line between love and hate.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think Slash hated Axl, he just had problems with Axl's antics (like showing up late to gigs, replacing Slash's guitar parts with other people, acting like a dictator in general, etc). At one point in the late 1980's, Keith Richards told Slash that you never quit no matter what. I think Slash took that advice very seriously and hung on as long as he could.

But there was absolute hatred on Axl's part directed at Slash. "He's a cancer that should have left after Appetite," throwing out fans who wore shirts with Slash on them to early nu-GNR gigs, "Where's Slash? He's in my ass," and on and on.

Ehh, I disagree. Reading Slash's book, by that 1994-96 period, Slash seemed to be at that stage where you could tell that there was no love lost between the two, and was bordering on hatred, mainly because of career decisions Slash was making outside of Guns, without Axl's consent (not that it was any of his fucking business).

Slash in his book also conveniently skirted all of the VERY negative interviews he was doing at the time in relation to GN'R, which was in turn directly related to Axl. At that point, GN'R had both had Izzy & Steven both publically slamming them, and now Slash was turning, whom Axl considered a brother. Even if Axl was the bad guy in it, Slash's behavior didn't help anything, and just drove them further apart.

Slash left those parts out of his book.

Especially if Axl felt that bringing his good friend Paul in (as a favor) for replacing Gilby, whom he could write with, and Axl had previously brought in Paul songs and thought it was okay. Axl might've looked at it as he had the best intentions, and because Gilby was shown the door without Slash's consent, Slash decided to show his ass, and publicly denounce Paul, which then put Axl into a very compromising situation.

I still think this "personal" beef that Steven Tyler spoke is rooting somewhere in the Slash/Paul dynamic from that mid-90's period.

buzzsaw wrote:

There's a thin line between love and hate.

This.

I think the reason Axl's so venomous and personal attack back towards Slash was there (and vice versa), but especially Axl was because Axl loved Slash so much that he felt Slash quitting was a huge betrayal. A band is like a marriage, and from Axl's perspective by leaving the partnership in 1995, taking the name with him, but offering Slash & Duff a full partnership in his new arrangement, was Axl going out of his way to throw a bone to two junkies ('cause they were trainwrecks during that period) and keeping the light of GN'R on.

When Slash balked and made everything difficult with IFOCS, the 1995 GN'R album, and the new Uzi Suicide deal, Axl probably saw it as going out of his way to coddle Slash, only to have Slash to spit in his face, THEN have Slash go play the media game against Axl for the next 7-10 years.

If that was his perspective, I don't blame him. I would've hated Slash's fucking guts too.

Here's to hoping it's all behind them and that 2016 will be the resurrection of their friendship... at least on stage and in-studio that is.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

We also don't know if Chinese II will feature re-records from Slash & Duff, not only on CD2, but also a re-release of Chinese as 2nd disc with Slash & Duff re-records, in an effort to just wipe the CD era completely off the map and pretend like Robin, Bucket, DJ, Ron, Paul, & Tommy were ever there, and make them more traditional GN'R songs in an effort to be more mass marketable.

You have no idea how much I would like this!

I love the Chinese Democracy songs - but I don't much like the mix and I'm more of a traditional rock fan than into too much synth. Perhaps that makes me boring but I am what I am!

However, when I look at Axl's parts....I LOVE THEM.....like say "Oh My God" - to me that's lyrical awesomeness going on in that song - I don't much like the industrial guitars too much though. But those lyrics. Likewise I love the vocals to Riad....and pretty much all of CD....I would have loved to hear a straight up rock version of most of those tracks.

Would they re-release redone CD songs? I dunno it's nuts - but then again - Axl remade Don't Cry and put both on UYI - and they re-did "you're crazy" - and we know there's redone versions of the CD songs long after they came out - like the DJ remix and the bumble acoustic. Then there's whatever those other versions are - like the six seconds of TIL that had more electronic sounding backing but IMO cooler classic Axl vocals! If they keep doing that stuff...who knows...maybe a Slash version of CD could happen after all.

GNR is just crazy enough that it could happen.

Axlin16 wrote:

he silence could be there, not because they are not doing anything, but because they are doing something. They could be *drum roll* -- WORKING on stuff. Something GN'R fans are completely NOT used to, lol. At least not since the early 90's, haha.

I'd love this to be true. But like you say - it's been a while between drinks. I hope you're right. I mean after all "why not" - Slash records whole albums in 2 weeks with myles....and Axl's got songs that were firsttime-finished in 1999 basically....wouldn't be too hard in theory to put those together if they wanted to.

Axlin16 wrote:

If Axl was truly THAT fragile, Axl wouldn't even be able to go out of the fucking house without needing a multitude of medications. I don't buy that. Axl may have trust issues, but he's far too high functioning to be that crazy. He might be a dick, but crazy -- I don't buy it.

I don't want this to sound like a bash on Axl - but I actually prefer the narrative that he has some type of emotional condition (for want of a better term - crazy sounds like he's a loony and he's not stupid) to the idea that he's just an asshole.

So many things that have happened in GNR are so self-sabotaghing looking from the outside...that I don't think a 'normal' (again a poor term) person would fuck over their own interests like that. Not just for the hell of it.

Also he comes across as smart, funny and basically a good guy most of the time in interviews. I believe this to be his 'real' personality but that he has some type of problem that makes him swing from that to violently angry and upset.

My guess would be that this Hyde Axl doesn't come around all that often, but when he does you better run to the hills. The people around him do what they can to help him manage it - they act as a filter for his calls, meetings, news and whatever else to minimise the times it comes into play.

We've seen Axl lashing out when he's hurting during the UYI tour, we've seen what he can be like at the airport when someone threatens people he loves, and we've seen him be one of the coolest drinking buddies you could have on the trunk radio show.

I don't think he's king dick - i think he's just someone who has a lot of highs and lows.

IMO Axl is a musical genius...and I think it came at a 'price' that he has moods and whatever else - he wouldn't be the first!

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't blame you for wanting a big corporation like Geffen to be behind this push, but Axl doesn't trust them, and frankly I don't blame him.

Yeah me either....big labels are assholes! I just mean like - as a fan who would pretty much buy any GNR product - I found all those aborted projects so frustrating. Remember the trailer someone posted (wish I'd ripped it) for a doco around the 2009 asian tour - had all this awesome proshot footage of the band at that time. Stuff like that. I would buy it all. I'd love it. Fuck we all know Axl has at least another album done as well....just the kid in me that wants this stuff...it knows how unlikely it is to happen with TB at the helm compared to David Geffen back in the day.....even if he's a prick!

Axlin16 wrote:

I think alot of this has been overblown over the years, and Axl has said so himself. He did one interview with RS in 1992, and suddenly his craziness hit almost mythic status by the time he did a follow-up interview with RS in 2000. It's only grown over time. People still talk about cancellations and late shows, but if you look at GN'R as a whole as a touring outfit in the last 30 years, it's been a drop in the bucket and Axl has a great batting average at being on time, prepared, and professional.

Ahh..dude don't make me be THAT GUY who bashes the band...I love Axl...but are you really trying to say this?

I'll play lets look at it:

UYI Era - GNR is involved in MULTIPLE riots....one of which Axl is legally charged with starting.

2002 tour - dies in the ass mid way through.

2006 Tour - Don't know of a riot here but I can tell you of shows I went to. Night one: Axl comes in at a respectable 9.30 or so. Night Two: Same venue - show starts 11.45pm - no explanation giving to crowd. I can't prove it but I would be very surprised if this was a one off.

2009-2010: I'll give Axl he seemed to be very early in this tour. Even playing at 8pm in Australia!!!

2011 - Axl is 60 mins late for leeds festival. Stages Sit in when they cut power.

2012. "Guns N' Roses fans walk out after band finish three hours late in Manchester Band were told to finish by 11pm, they started their set at 11.15pm"

2014 - I'll give you I hear both vegas residencies went ok.

Don't get me wrong I love the band, but even Axl admits he's always been late to stuff! To me you wait for Axl because he's the greatest front man of our era - but lets be honest - you know you will often wait for Axl - that's just what it is.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You have no idea how much I would like this!

I love the Chinese Democracy songs - but I don't much like the mix and I'm more of a traditional rock fan than into too much synth. Perhaps that makes me boring but I am what I am!

However, when I look at Axl's parts....I LOVE THEM.....like say "Oh My God" - to me that's lyrical awesomeness going on in that song - I don't much like the industrial guitars too much though. But those lyrics. Likewise I love the vocals to Riad....and pretty much all of CD....I would have loved to hear a straight up rock version of most of those tracks.

Would they re-release redone CD songs? I dunno it's nuts - but then again - Axl remade Don't Cry and put both on UYI - and they re-did "you're crazy" - and we know there's redone versions of the CD songs long after they came out - like the DJ remix and the bumble acoustic. Then there's whatever those other versions are - like the six seconds of TIL that had more electronic sounding backing but IMO cooler classic Axl vocals! If they keep doing that stuff...who knows...maybe a Slash version of CD could happen after all.

GNR is just crazy enough that it could happen.

Axl had entire remix album of Chinese ready to go for release that was done by Brain. There have also been other leaks of DJ-rearranged versions of Better, as well as acoustic versions of Better done by Ron.

If Axl was willing to do it with DJ & Ron, why the fuck wouldn't he let Slash & Duff do it?

It's an absolute no-brainer to me. Let them re-record it, release CD II with CD I as a 2nd disc, all of it re-recorded by Slash & Duff, find you a single or two to release to promote it, and just scrap the entire era and start fresh.

Like I said, Dallas-dream season scenario. Just wipe the slate clean, and pick up from 1993 on, and move forward. New GN'R never happened. 2016 GN'R is a direct-sequel to 1993.

Best solution imo

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I don't see a need to re-record CD.  Maybe a song or two would be fun, but you can't wipe history.   Just like Axl not releasing the AFD re-record with Tommy, Robin, etc.    If they were to re-release anything from that era, how about the tracks with just Robin, Bucket, and one drummer.   Stripped down some of them are excellent songs but too many layers of new guys coming in and adding shit on top of it.

Unreleased songs however, by all means.

On topic, I don't think Axl appreciated Steven Tyler's comments..   Did you guys see what the band posted on FB last night?

https://www.facebook.com/gunsnroses/pho … =3&theater

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Just like Axl not releasing the AFD re-record with Tommy, Robin, etc.

That was NEVER coming out. Always surprised me when fans seemed to not only want it but expecting its imminent release.

It was done to get that first lineup acquainted with that material and after all these AFD heavy tours we can certainly see why. 16

It was recorded before Bucket entered the band which is why my interest in it was less than zero. Finck and Tobias in place of Slash and Izzy? No thanks. We already heard enough from it.....the Big Daddy SCOM snippet and his vocals added on Live Era.

Had the 2000 lineup played around with it I might like a quick listen.

I don't see a need to re-record CD.

I do. It increases the chances of the album's release.

I'd love the Beavan sessions untouched more than anything(including this reunion) but we weren't getting it so if it takes Slash and Duff being added to the mix to take it out of the vault and into stores, lets do it.

Stripped down some of them are excellent songs but too many layers of new guys coming in and adding shit on top of it.

Yes they are. Its why all the Beavan sessions need to be heard. It was cut and paste as well but at that point the layering wasn't so out of control yet.

The songs never needed Fortus, Ron, and Frank. Technically they didn't even need Brain. Those songs can exist and exist in a better form without them joining the band.

On topic, I don't think Axl appreciated Steven Tyler's comments..

I wouldn't either. People are using the reunion to promote their own stuff.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

That was NEVER coming out. Always surprised me when fans seemed to not only want it but expecting its imminent release.

It was done to get that first lineup acquainted with that material and after all these AFD heavy tours we can certainly see why. 16

I thought there was a Black Hawk Down scenario where they wanted to use WTTJ but Axl only wanted to do it if the new band re-recorded it?  It fell thru & the scene used Stevie Ray Vaugh or STP instead.

Although, yeah it wasn't going to be a full album release.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

James Lofton wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

I didn't think it needed to be released, so much as I would have liked to hear the demos leak..   

James Lofton wrote:

I don't see a need to re-record CD.

I do. It increases the chances of the album's release.

I'd love the Beavan sessions untouched more than anything(including this reunion) but we weren't getting it so if it takes Slash and Duff being added to the mix to take it out of the vault and into stores, lets do it.

It was released 8 years ago!! 

Unreleased material from the CD sessions, then absolutely.    But no need to put out the same album with different players.

James Lofton wrote:

Stripped down some of them are excellent songs but too many layers of new guys coming in and adding shit on top of it.

Yes they are. Its why all the Beavan sessions need to be heard. It was cut and paste as well but at that point the layering wasn't so out of control yet.

The songs never needed Fortus, Ron, and Frank. Technically they didn't even need Brain. Those songs can exist and exist in a better form without them joining the band.

Yea, I'd like to see those 'leak' out at some point.   

But for releasing, let's go with unheard songs.    Whether they were meant for Chinese, VR, Slash, Duff, Izzy, UYI III, or something brand new, I don't really care.   

Even one or two songs would be huge.    If they want to sell music, this is the time to do it.   Its hard enough these days but now they have the hype around Vegas and Coachella.

Board footer