You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: DAVE MUSTAINE: 'It Would Be Terrific' If STEVEN ADLER And IZZY STRADLI

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Many disagree but I will say to my dying day that 'The Memory Remains' is about Axl.

Don't you mean "King Nothing"?

(That's not a stab at Axl - it's seriously the song I've seen people claim was written about GNR)

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Many disagree but I will say to my dying day that 'The Memory Remains' is about Axl.

(That's not a stab at Axl - it's seriously the song I've seen people claim was written about GNR)

Both songs were probably recorded in 95 during the Load/Reload sessions tongue. I don't see the lyrics making in sense at that point. Theirs an argument though for "The Memory Remains", that said... their's things that could be said about Metallica after that point as well.

Still one of my favorite bands. However if Axl is a prima dona, Hetflied is still a dickhead. He does not come across in alot of those interviews back then and before.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Hetfeild is a rhythm guitar god!!!!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Both songs were probably recorded in 95 during the Load/Reload sessions tongue. I don't see the lyrics making in sense at that point.

The Lyrics wrote:

Wish I may, wish I might
Have this I wish tonight
Are you satisfied?
Dig for gold, dig for fame
You dig to make your name
Are you pacified?

All the wants you waste
All the things you’ve chased

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there’s no one around
Just want one thing
Just to play the king
But the castle’s crumbled
And you’re left with just a name

I dunno that seems about right to me - by 1995 Metallica had experienced the excesses of the UYI tour a few years prior, Heitfield was even a bit of a dick mocking Axl behind his back on that video, and by 1995 GNR was in limbo....2 years of TSI wasn't cutting it...Slash had done snakepit...it seemed the band had fallen apart and the music business was moving on to grunge from the rock-era.....

I'm not saying it is for sure but I feel there's at least an argument to entertain the idea that this song was a reaction to the Metallica/UYI tour.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

KIng Nothing likely is as well but The Memory Remains just nails it IMO. No love lost at all between them.  GNR were in total limbo at that point and Hetfield seems to describe Axls current(at the time) position here...

Heavy rings hold cigarettes
Up to lips that time forgets
While the Hollywood sun sets behind your back

And can't the band play on
Just listen, they play my song
Ash to ash
Dust to dust
Fade to black

Axl/GNR  truly was a faded memory at that point in time even though it had only been a few years.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I'm the biggest Metallica fan on the board, I think. And I rate Mustaine and Megadeth too.

But all the "Mustaine was responsible for Metallica's success" is a load of shit.

Yeah he co-wrote songs on their debut and some ideas for the second album were used. But James and Lars wrote majority of the stuff that truly broke the band big time.

AtariLegend wrote:

I (personally) didn't say that Mustaine was responsible for everything. Obviously that would be nonsense, but most Metallica fans don't give him credit. They're convinced that by saying anything positive about Mustaine, that they'll be hurting Kirk's feelings.

I'm definitely fans of both.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Who exactly is in Megadeth these days, Dave?

Well, aside Mustaine, there's David Ellefson, who came back in 2010.

Their current drummer is a guy named Adler. Seriously.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

apex-twin wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Who exactly is in Megadeth these days, Dave?

Well, aside Mustaine, there's David Ellefson, who came back in 2010.

Their current drummer is a guy named Adler. Seriously.

It's funny really... 16

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Chris Adler, from Lamb of God, to be exact.

Board footer