You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Re: This New Paradigm - so many questions..

AtariLegend wrote:

What UYI tracks do people want added to the set-list that weren't played on the last few tours outside of "Locomotive" and "Breakdown" do you guys want to hear?

Those 2, and Double Talking Jive and Bad Obsession, would both suit Axl's voice too.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

1. Will we ever hear about Axl & Slash's very first face to face?
Where did it happen? Who was there? Were grisly conflicts discussed and put to rest? Did they have a professional mediator?

I am in the group of fans that believe this will NOT be addressed and if I was involved with TB,  would recommend that it simply be glossed over with a laugh and a few sentences tops.

Eagles hated each other with a passion and said "hell will freeze over before we reunite"...the 1980 version of "not in this lifetime".

1994....reunion.....what do they IMMEDIATELY call it..............Hell Freezes Over. Period. Simple. To the point. These guys may have dove in later on about the feud but in 94-95 nobody cared....fans just happy that there were snow flurries in hell.

In this situation the risks outweigh the rewards of diving in deep of explanations. Only nerds care about it on that level. The general public doesn't know(or care) about "cancer", "not in this lifetime", or Slash running to the hills with Snakepit demos or his dislike of Paul Huge.

Us nerds are in a bubble that doesn't require popping. If it is addressed it should be very low key.

MY opinion....

The harsh statements towards Slash were not as serious as fans believed which is why I never took it as seriously as many hardcore fans. I always thought ONE phone call or meeting could clear it up. I was on a hiatus from the forums at the time but as soon as I heard Duff was doing shows.....I knew how the story would end.....in the fumes of Marlboro smoke.

Mediator?  I love that guy's bass on It's So Easy....

2. Will both men ever explain publically how the axe was buried?
Will both men fess up for their now mythical bad deeds towards each other? Apologize publicly? Will they do a chat show/major interview together?

Explain publicly? No. Goes back to the above. It isn't really necessary. A smaller scale certainly but Soundgarden had some issues as well leading to their breakup....their own Beta in the form of Susan Silver, Cornell's ex wife and SG's manager.......and of course tensions among the group leading to the fight backstage between Chris and Ben.....

None of that addressed since the reunion five years ago.  I expect the same here. They can do interviews together without any of it being addressed.  Definitely no apologies. Any that were needed were done privately.

What I would like to know and prefer to be addressed over the recent reunion is what REALLY happened in mid 2005-early 06 that in hindsight looks like a reunion was a cunt hair away from happening but something ruined it which led to the incident with Beta at Axl's house and of course the "cancer" comments and GNR camp being fixated on Slash instead of Chinese. Halfin and Weiland said it was on like Donkey Kong and of course that article months later that stated Axl wanted it but there was some fine print in the contract....the ex members had to sign away ALL their rights to GNR. They refused.

That 03-05 silent period always felt a tad fishy for some reason. The near instant 06 'comeback' and announcement/confirmation of a tour may have happened like it did because he had already planned on touring.......the Chinese tour was nothing more than "plan B" and also take into consideration that Bucket's replacement was literally last second.  Had the ex members signed the dotted line, that 06 tour would've been the reunion.

3. How have Duff & Slash managed dealing with Axl's team including Beta and others who have been less than honorable towards the old guys?

Water under the bridge. Money talks.

Slash and Duff weren't exactly sunshine and lollipops either during the past 20 years.

4. If the money is so good and the excitement levels so high, why wouldn't Izzy jump straight in for the start and then bail if its not to his liking - not the other way 'round?
Is he holding out for Steven? Has he already seen shit break out between both sides that spooked him? He is writing, which he loves most but his reluctance to play could indicate that he's at odds with things going on there - the nuGNR players maybe?

Izzy said in 2001 he didn't consider it GNR......yet wound up performing with them anyways. Axl wanted him back in 2001. He balked for some reason.

Izzy has always been the wild card. A casual fan may not care but hardcore fans(at least those with functioning brains) know how important he really was.

We have no real clue on what his current involvement is(if any).

5. Why would Duff & Slash agree to play anything from CD? Does that mean Axl will sing Fall to Pieces and Slither in return?
Has Axl forced their hands on this? I am excited to hear Slash's take on the tunes but surely everybody in the room except Axl knows that almost nobody in the crowd is holding out for anything off CD. They'll be praying for "Breakdown" rather than "Prostitute".

Technically CD is a GNR album.......Slither is not a GNR song.

Only reason I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of anything CD related being performed is Pitman's involvement. If he gets removed from the equation none of it will be performed. You're right....out of a stadium full of 80 thousand screaming fans about 20 of them will want to hear anything from CD. Title track might get a pop from the crowd......MIGHT.

Now if there's a new single from the CD sessions on the radio......they'll go ape shit for that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I just want to refer to Slash as "your hero" any time Jarmo mentions him. Is that wrong?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

From Slash solo, only Wicked Stone and Anastasia would be songs I would want to hear Axl on.

By the Sword would also be amazing. Something about that track always felt like GNR to me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ha, I got banned because of his Slash hatred and now... Slash is just awesome.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I would think if Axl was willing to cover VR songs, they would either have to be re-written or they'd have to be AMAZING Scott songs or songs wrote entirely by Slash & Duff.

I've always found it interesting the songs Axl sings.

As an armchair Axl watcher they often seem to be songs he didn't write but almost could have written from what we know of him.

The aggression of "Now you're messing with a Son of A Bitch" in hair of the dog is like a line Axl would pen, the whole of Sailing very much suited Axl's softer side, LALD's sentiment of 'makes you give in and cry...say live and let die" also seemed right to his MO too. Riff Raff's "I aint done nothing wrong, I'm just having fun" plays into the out to get me vibe.....

Could be a wild fan theory - but I've always thought the songs he choses arn't just musically fun numbers but are also tunes he connects with lyrically.

So in my theory - if Axl agreed with the sentiment of any VR or Slash song it could wind up performed by him as is.

Likely targets would be songs with similar themes to GNR music - so anything with a lost love vibe or any angry song I'd speculate.

In my dream world they would do Sex Type Thing as a tribute to scott...but that's really a stretch I guess

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Ok Further to Axlin's idea of a new greatest hits with odd new versions of stuff here's my fantasy Second disc

5 redone Chinese Democracy Songs – with Slash Added:

This I love
There Was A Time
Catcher in the Rye
Madagascar
Oh My God (with more vicious rock guitars ala Locomotive or Perfect Crime)

5  re-done Slash Catalogue –  With Axl Added:

Dime Store Rock
Sucker Train Blues
By The Sword
Anastasia
Wicked Stone

2 New Studio Covers:

Sailing (like the 2006 live version except with Slash)
I Drove All Night (Cyndi Lauper cover – I've always felt Axl would nail this)

That's my dream!!!!!

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

From Slash solo, only Wicked Stone and Anastasia would be songs I would want to hear Axl on.

By the Sword would also be amazing. Something about that track always felt like GNR to me.

my favourite Slash song. easily on par with his gnr work imo. and one of his best solos.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

By the Sword could have been a GnR song easy

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

1. Will we ever hear about Axl & Slash's very first face to face?

Or to play some conspiracy....has  it happened yet? Both Axl and Slash like to do stuff by text message don't they?

2. Will both men ever explain publically how the axe was buried?

Yes, I was saying in the other thread what this reunion needs to be 'normal' is some type of mythology to how it happened.

Don't get me wrong, it's made my decade...but to be an asshole for a second....

As it stands it looks like Slash gave up his principles and will take being an employee for dollars, and it looks like Axl broke his word about dying first for the money.

Now I should clarify. To me their chemistry is unique and the most important thing. So I don't mind them also getting paid, and who cares about going back on your world if you create art that's important to history. I'm glad they reunited.

But normally we'd get some type of explanation. Either a kooky story like one of them bumping into the other and realising they didn't hate each other anymore, or some type of the label told both of them it was impossible and it reminded them of the old days. Some type of story. Either that or we'd get the logical explanations - that they both realised it would be so much fun,  that they did it just for fans, that they both understand how unique the other is.....

Imo the silence is what's making people go on about a cash grab (and people are on facebook etc)

3. How have Duff & Slash managed dealing with Axl's team including Beta and others who have been less than honorable towards the old guys

I don't think you'll hear anything like this until some situation where those people left. Like if Axl had some falling out with Beta and spoke against her i'm sure we'd get some stories. Until that time - it would be like Axl talking about Slash's ex-wife or something. Everyone will just leave off to keep the peace.

Do Jarmo and Del have to relearn their roles now that all is rosy in the garden?

There's going to need to be some adaption. Otherwise it will go like this mid tour:

Axl: Hey Jarmo...what's up?
Jarmo: Just chilling.
Axl: Seen Slash around? He's wandered off with my ipod.
Jarmo: YOUR HERO went that way.

Could be awkward.

Are Duff and Slash even aware of the kind of vitriol that those guys publicly displayed towards them?

I would imagine Slash has a pretty thick skin for such stuff. He's been famous most of his life and for being in a band like GNR that polarises the general public. (You know what I mean - there's dudes like us who love GNR, and also those who HATE them).

Also - Slash has delt a lot with record people and industry types who are notoriously slimy and shifty.

I would expect he's kinda used to people talking shit about him then kissing his ass in person. It's part of being a star I think.

Although it's hard to watch...jarmo was so brutal to anyone who liked the old band in any way for so long that it's going to be beyond comical if he's still around on tour with them now....

4. If the money is so good and the excitement levels so high, why wouldn't Izzy jump straight in for the start and then bail if its not to his liking - not the other way 'round?

It makes me wonder about the business terms. Back in the day Izzy was very vocal about not wanting to be an employee in something he helped create. Maybe that stands.

Maybe he doesn't think the hatchet is buried until the night before the show. Wasn't he loitering in town for the hall of fame to see what Axl did.

To me the silence indicates everyone was down with something happening, but afraid to mess it up. Izzy might be waiting his time.

5. Why would Duff & Slash agree to play anything from CD? Does that mean Axl will sing Fall to Pieces and Slither in return?
Has Axl forced their hands on this? I am excited to hear Slash's take on the tunes but surely everybody in the room except Axl knows that almost nobody in the crowd is holding out for anything off CD. They'll be praying for "Breakdown" rather than "Prostitute".

I can't speak to that as i'm one of the people who would be keen to hear the CD stuff redone by the old band.

To me the band never should have broken up - and all the CD songs along with most of VR and snakepit and so on should all be within the GNR catalogue. So it's fun to hear the band do anything like that. To me i'm almost more interested in that than UYI of AFD tracks. To me there's great boots around of the UYI and AFD albums by the original band. But there's none of these guys doing CD or VR tunes together.

Be interesting to see how it plays out. The logo change back to classic and all that could suggest the band will come out - do a UYI era setlist and act like CD never happened at all (even with some CD dudes filling in the band). But then again the way they've done no reunion interviews and so on makes it more like the band doesn't treat this as a reunion show - more just slash is the new lead guitarist. Which would legitimise the CD era with casual fans...and if that happens they may do a CD inclusive setlist. Hope so.

The real question is how will Axl's voice be. I feel that's what has dictated song choices for a while too. Will they do different stuff? Or will it be the vegas blu ray setlist?

I'm hoping for something more unusual like Osaka 2009 - but not sure we'll get it.

Board footer