You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Slash's 2010 solo album

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

That to me suggest the real issue was Axl controlling the band and Slash resenting it.

That certainly seems to have played a part in it. Also, Slash was picking it up as a guitar hero, doing guest spots and appearances. I would say that Axl was a bit envious and afraid that he'd lose Slash to other artists. In any case, I would say both contributed to the fallout - saying it was solely one or the other is oversimplifying it.

johndivney wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It must be hard to always do stuff in a group.

Therein is his problem. All of his solo albums definitely fall under 'serviceable', at least, with some great tracks. Slash knows how to make a blues-based rock album, no sweat. His Achilles' heel appears to be that he lacks the focus or motivation to work on it beyond a certain point. When it's recorded, mix, release, tour, repeat. That's the way he likes it.

When he has someone like Axl in his court, things change. The instrumentals are recorded and Axl starts to tinker with it. What Ax did with the UYI tracks is essentially producing. He has a ton of musical awareness, in terms of both music history and the things he hears. While Slash may be a bit aloof as to what there'd be to improve his stuff, Axl sees the many points to address in various ways, and if he keeps his whims in check, he can thoroughly elevate the work to the next level.

To me, that sort of coins the Slash-Axl working relationship. One is good in laying the foundation, while the other has a vision of what it could become. Slash's solo works are different beasts to Estranged, while Axl's works lack the unifying lead guitar. It seems they grew apart because, as time passed, they lost respect for one another's contributions. Axl could've elevated those 3-4 Snakepit songs, but Slash grew tired of waiting on him. Axl felt Slash was irreverent and replaceable. They both lost, there.

Everyone lost mate. All those wasted years & wasted music. Such energy could've done someone somewhere some good. Instead it was all just pissed away. Sad.
So it goes.

Maybe there's still time..

johndivney wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

That to me suggest the real issue was Axl controlling the band and Slash resenting it.

That certainly seems to have played a part in it. Also, Slash was picking it up as a guitar hero, doing guest spots and appearances. I would say that Axl was a bit envious and afraid that he'd lose Slash to other artists. In any case, I would say both contributed to the fallout - saying it was solely one or the other is oversimplifying it.

Yea & everyone was too crazy to compromise. & there were too many people. & too much cocaine.

What am I saying there's never too much coke..

But yea, Axl did rip the piss a bit back then, tho? I know he had other distractions & personal doubts but even if he had kept Slash on a short leash would he still not have taken a decade or more to produce an album from the stuff? Who knows really..

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Maybe there's still time..

Could be. In contrast to most artists his age, Axl is still pissed off. A very valuable resource in the creative process.

If they attempt a new album I say they have every opportunity to make it great and inspired.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Slash knows how to make a blues-based rock album, no sweat. His Achilles' heel appears to be that he lacks the focus or motivation to work on it beyond a certain point.

I've thought for a while he needs to reverse his process.

Currently he writes a song, records it, and then tours it hard. But the end of the tour the live version is normally more impressive than the studio take.

I think he needs to start adding unheard songs to the setlist first. Sure we'll boot them on youtube but does it really matter anymore. Then once he's played it live for a year on the tour, then release the album to close out the cycle. Industry madness I know but it's noticeable how a lot of his songs get better live than in the studio cut.

metallex78 wrote:

I don't really think much of By The Sword either.

I love by the sword - I can imagine it as a Lies era track with Axl singing on it.

polluxlm wrote:

Don't see Axl ever losing respect for Slash creatively.

At one stage the offical site linked to a review claiming slash ruined the UYI albums....that was enough for me wink

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

At one stage the offical site linked to a review claiming slash ruined the UYI albums....that was enough for me wink

I'd chalk that up to the yes men. Axl has never hinted that Slash work didn't cut it. Even in the Loder interview in the late 90s he lamented not being able to make the record he wanted since Slash wasn't around to provide the necessary guitar. At worst he critiqued Slash' work ethic.

In comparison Axl had no issue with calling out Izzy for his shoddy recording standards on the UYI's, and he never hated him personally I think.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl criticizing Slash's work ethic should have made it into the song Ironic.  Too bad the timing wasn't quite right.

I love Slash, but most of his solo work is meh, and it's mostly due to the lyrics/singer(s).  Musically there's some good stuff in there, but it's not always easy to get past the singing/lyrics to get to the good stuff.  Slash should have done an instrumental.  If he wasn't going to go that route, he should have had that 2010 album closer to what Santana did in making a record that was less him working with the people he wanted to work with and more about working with more contemporary/popular artists.  I like the record, but it could have been more.  Actually, I say that about pretty much every Slash album post GnR.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Axl criticizing Slash's work ethic should have made it into the song Ironic.  Too bad the timing wasn't quite right.

I love Slash, but most of his solo work is meh, and it's mostly due to the lyrics/singer(s).  Musically there's some good stuff in there, but it's not always easy to get past the singing/lyrics to get to the good stuff.  Slash should have done an instrumental.  If he wasn't going to go that route, he should have had that 2010 album closer to what Santana did in making a record that was less him working with the people he wanted to work with and more about working with more contemporary/popular artists.  I like the record, but it could have been more.  Actually, I say that about pretty much every Slash album post GnR.

The lyrics are cringe-worthy on a lot of that solo album and his others. Maybe that's why Watch This is my favorite song from his solo era. Actually, I'm very hard on most lyricists nowadays. I listen to mostly instrumental music.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The lyrics are cringe-worthy on a lot of that solo album and his others. Maybe that's why Watch This is my favorite song from his solo era. Actually, I'm very hard on most lyricists nowadays. I listen to mostly instrumental music.

Ever listen to this guy?

Almost as prolific as BH.

johndivney wrote:

Yea if you want crazy lyrics go get the records by Omar's earlier bands. Still love them tho. That run from At the Drive In's Relationship of Command, The Mars Volta EP thru to Frances the Mute was such a fun time.

Board footer