You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GILBY CLARKE 'It's Gonna Be Interesting To See SLASH And AXL Back Toge

AtariLegend wrote:

Tobias is a better writer/studio musician.

It's really doesn't matter how he was on stage since he only ever played 2 shows before he decided he didn't want too.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

correct about Axl vs Slash play. I do think Paul brought at least something though, just by checking ChiDem or OMG single liner notes, Paul is credited as composer at 4 songs and he originally wrote OMG in 1997 (according to wikipedia). I highly doubt Gilby would like to be involved in such songs at all, it's not his cup of tea.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Tobias is a better writer/studio musician.

Pawnshop Guitars disagrees with you. 13

correct about Axl vs Slash play. I do think Paul brought at least something though, just by checking ChiDem or OMG single liner notes, Paul is credited as composer at 4 songs and he originally wrote OMG in 1997 (according to wikipedia). I highly doubt Gilby would like to be involved in such songs at all, it's not his cup of tea.

Yeah I'm not knocking the guy(I wish he had stayed in the band instead of bringing in Fortus) I just hate how the Axl/Paul vs Slash/Gilby matchup which led to Snakepit which led to the implosion wasn't necessary. There had to be a better way to handle the situation...

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

depends on the point of view. without all these things, we would have no Snakepit, no other solo stuff... think about it in a constructive way! especially after all this just happened and we can't change it. dozens of albums have been recorded and released, all we have to do is enjoy them! and not whine that "unlike Oasis, they could not all find a way to get along" smile
and about Fortus, I was highly sceptical when I saw him in 2002. but I came to really like him in 2006 and later. he's very skilled, seems to be a much better guitar player than Paul and has a cool attitude, that fits in GNR perfectly. remember - they almost didn't recruit Bumblefoot in 2006 and it was Fortus who learned all Bucket's solos for the tour, they almost did the tour in 2 guitars. the guy IS very able, no doubt about it anymore.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I've never liked his guitar style, and it could have had something to do with Izzy, because the style and tone were so different.

So different from Izzy... really? 10

In my mind, he was the perfect replacement for Izzy, he even has that same Stones swagger and style about him. Gilby seemed to have similar influences like New York Dolls and Ramones as well.

GN'R didn't miss a beat when Gilby stepped in alongside Slash on the UYI world tour.
The only thing that was missing was the Izzy sung tunes, which was a shame.

But to say he was so different, makes me wonder what you hear that the rest of us don't...?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Cure Me Kill Me and Tijuana Jail alone rival or beat most GNR solo efforts

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Cure Me Kill Me and Tijuana Jail alone rival or beat most GNR solo efforts

In fairness those are the two songs that benefited from a Slash solo though.

Slash and Gilby was working out fine - snakepit 1 was an incredible album guitar wise - with Axl's lyrics and melodies it would be like AFD2.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I actually didn't like Gilby until I saw him on Rockstar: Supernova.  Sounds stupid, but tbh he won me over. Just a chill guy, great musician and has a great Stones vibe & interest which I dug.  Back in UYI, I just couldn't get over not having the originals in it.  Steven/Sorum, I kindof accepted as I figured Steve had to have a major habit to kick him out. Izzy tho, I just always felt like "Come back, please" and to Gilby "Who the heck it this guy".  Unfairly, admittedly.

Anyway wish he was on this tour, he should be.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I've never liked his guitar style, and it could have had something to do with Izzy, because the style and tone were so different.

So different from Izzy... really? 10

In my mind, he was the perfect replacement for Izzy, he even has that same Stones swagger and style about him. Gilby seemed to have similar influences like New York Dolls and Ramones as well.

GN'R didn't miss a beat when Gilby stepped in alongside Slash on the UYI world tour.
The only thing that was missing was the Izzy sung tunes, which was a shame.

But to say he was so different, makes me wonder what you hear that the rest of us don't...?

I do not like his playing. Different strokes...

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

James Lofton wrote:

I have nothing against Paul(I love that 01 lineup) but I don't see how he brings more to the table than Gilby. At least Gilby had a resume at that point. Bringing in Paul was more like a power play but in fairness to Axl, Slash's zero tolerance for him was as well.

Mr. Tobias brought songwriting.

As well as the fact he was a childhood friend of Axl.

I assume Axl's reasoning is this guy has my back no matter what. Also, we wrote together.

He won't be against going in a direction I want Guns N' Roses to go in.

Board footer