You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New Autographed GUNS N' ROSES Drumhead Appears To Confirm Lineup

monkeychow wrote:

It's interesting that comment from the promoter wanting to know if Axl is going to take this seriously, and can he sing these songs.

I think the CD era was out of goodwill.

Slash and Duff buys him a pass to turn this into a legitimate big nostalga act along the lines of Aerosmith, Ac/DC (before this recent Brian incident) and Motley (at least until the farewell tour). But that's going to require a decent vocally. You can get away with it being a bit crap (Vince Neil live for example) if you bring a pro show and everything else is in place.

I think Axl has Slash and Duff back for that reason - it takes a lot of pressure of him. In a chinese demo band it's up to him to be the best. In a reunion band he can be the weaker link and it's still GNR.

That said. I think it's make or break time.

Hopefully he'll come out strong and these shows will be amazing, and then the label will look into some type of release to go with AFD next year.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Just had an epiphany that the reason I hate Sorum is the 2 hr drum solo on the Japan DVD. Good god what a waste of time.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

That drum solo came about ever since Rio 1991, which Axl put on Matt to do. And let's face it, the UYI tour was all about self indulgence, long guitar solos, piano solos, drum solos, backstage parties every night etc.

And really, while Matt was doing that solo, Axl was probably backstage having a break.

It's fair if you aren't a fan of Matts playing, but all this "he is a prick" stuff, I don't get. He comes across as a chill dude in interviews. And I don't buy the piano comments as a reference either. He said it in jest, and anyone else would have probably said the same at the time. Guns were a badass guitar based band, not piano driven ballads.

That said, Matt played some great stuff on those piano ballads, even some iconic fills that bring the trilogy together.

Anyone comparing Frank (who is pretty good) to Matt having played on 30+ Guns studio tunes and touring the world with the band at their height of fame, is really missing the point. The dude was as much a part of Guns iconic era as anyone else was back then.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Just had an epiphany that the reason I hate Sorum is the 2 hr drum solo on the Japan DVD. Good god what a waste of time.

Haha that long solo was a request from Axl so he could "rest" (get a blow job and do cocain).

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

even some iconic fills that bring the trilogy together.

You could say that again.

Sorum wrote:

"The track I get the most amount of grief for, from drummers, is November Rain. The reason I did that tom fill so many times is I felt it was a musical part. A lot of drummers were like, 'Why'd you play the same fill so much?!'"

"Me and Axl were sitting in the studio late one night, having a couple of drinks and listening to Elton John, a song called Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me."

"Axl goes, 'Do you hear that?' I'm like, 'Yeah, I love Nigel Olson, man'. He says, 'Do that on the song we're going to record tomorrow!' We'd rehearsed it but I didn't have all the fills and stuff, it was just a groove. In the end of November Rain I get into that whole marching band trip."

Mike Portnoy called him out on that 23-time-iconic-fill, only to backpedal.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

Again, Robin and Bucket comparison is not in any way shape or form the same as Slash and Duff and their history or I'm!pact. My comparison was about Axl and his direction of the band will be what he wants. It doesn't matter who gets in the band.

It doesn't matter who gets in the band? 18 Really? I strongly disagree. It sure as shit matters who gets in the band and matters more now than it ever did before. The clock is ticking. There's no time left to waste hiring any more Bimblearms and Bucketnoses for diminishing returns to supposedly see what they're doing in regards to an album that was never coming under those circumstances.

Slash and Duff are game changers. The label clearly didn't give the tiniest of shits about releasing more material after 2008. It's safe to say that their interest has just went up dramatically. They've been paid almost 30 million for four shows. Its not Fortus and Frank causing promoters to go ape shit.

Yeah Axl owns the name...the two members who just came back are in the partnership...that equals leverage(and massive paychecks)....its not a situation like Ron, Finck,etc. were in where they have absolutely zero say in anything. Ron wanted Atlas Shrugged released...he was ignored. Are you telling me if Slash has interest in reworking that and getting it released that his feelings on the matter hold the same weight as Ron's?

misterID wrote:

I believe it went be lot further than that with her. There was a contract and she backed out at the last minute.

SHE backed out? If true....she saw it for what I described above....knew it was a pipe dream and nothing would ever come of it.

IMO if any serious attempt was going to be made to reboot the CD era....feelers would've been put out to Bucket and Finck. Yeah I know....ancient history....but so is that album yet to be released and he could've at least had the 2002 lineup but with Frank out there touring and promoting it...assuming its release of course.

As much as I would have loved that, I find that scenario laughable as well as there was just no point in going that route in 2016. He had his chance with various CD lineups....a couple of them GREAT lineups...it didn't happen for various reasons...now its time to put on your top hat and start chain smoking Marlboros.

Axl's true "vision" is minimal work for maximum profit.

14 Karma.

I guess I'm not explaining it very well. Axl is the leader, the band will go in whatever direction he wants, no matter who is in. Slash is working on the CD session material, in the band with Richard and Frank, so I reckon they knew the score when they rejoined.

Personally, I think she dropped out because DJ was leaving, who championed her getting in the band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I get what you're saying...I just don't agree to that extent. They're going to have a say in current/future plans whether we call it "Axl's band" or not.  They already had a say in what GNR could and could not release to a degree but apparently they don't now that they are back in the mix?

Slash had to sign off on that DVD release. Why didn't Buckethead or Robin....I mean it doesn't matter who is in or out since it's Axl's band...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's Axl's band on paper...but practically he isn't able to do anything with it anymore without Slash or Duff.

How much will AEG or Live Nation pay for a tour staring DJ and Orianthi? How much will the label commit to marketing an album with no slash?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's Axl's band on paper...but practically he isn't able to do anything with it anymore without Slash or Duff.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

He can own the name til the cows come home but if he wants to do anything other than bust out Jungle with random rotating casts arena to arena, club to club, residency to residency, he's going to need those guys giving their seal of approval.  21 duff

Its not a coincidence that everything being pushed since we heard they were on speaking terms again is the three people that actually have control.

It's not the 1996-2014 Axl Rose show anymore.

This here shows a glimpse into how this is playing out....

How much will AEG or Live Nation pay for a tour staring DJ and Orianthi?

Answer: NOT 26 million for four shows.

How much will the label commit to marketing an album with no slash?

Answer: The amount spent marketing a GNR album from 2009 to 2015.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ugh... You guys are totally missing my original point, and I take full blame for it. Forget I mentioned bucket and Robin, the point it is is that it is not a reunion. No matter the marketing. No one has said the word reunion. Team Brazil has done a very god job with milking the optics without ever using the r word. Good for them.

Slash and Duff rejoined the band. This has nothing to do with any former bandmate. Axl gets his cake and is eating it too. Axl showed he was making a good living with anyone he put in the band. They were in talks for another residency. Another tour. Album...

Slash just upped the profit margin by 10,000%. Absolutely. It is big time.

But it is not a reunion. Matt, Izzy and Steven were never part of the plan.... Because it is not a reunion. End point. Hope I made sense this time. tongue

Board footer