You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

AtariLegend wrote:
otto wrote:
misterID wrote:
otto wrote:

Sean Beavan, Chris Vrenna, Robin Finck, Chris Pitman, all The pro tools engineers.... But yeah... Axl did NOT want to be NIN.

Ok then.

Vrenna was Duff's idea, like Robin was Matt's (sorry monkey, you're arguing to argue at this point). Pitman was with Tool. And there was Sean who was Robin and Josh's suggestion, not Axl's. CD was not like NIN in any shape or form. Nor industrial.

The idea Axl tried to change GNR into NIN is just wrong.

Loader was a big supporter of the new line up, and has always been an Axl fan.

And I'm sure as shit not getting into a debate on NIN, especially when Syxx AM is brought up in the same breath.

Do you have sources for The "ideas" and "suggestions"?

Smoking Guns wrote:

There are no sources. This is all speculation.

"I was approached by Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle. He was doing some programming there with Axl and running one of the computers for it. Robin Finck was playing lead guitar and so the two of 'em kind of approached me to come in and help out and do some production for it." (Sean Beavan, Ultimate Guitar, 05/06/15)

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Not liking Trent's music over the years is one thing, but to put him on the same level as Sixx AM tongue.

Wasn't my intent at all. .and I concede that NIN are much bigger than Sixx am ... was never really meant to be implied ... like comparing screaming trees to nirvana really

I would say that trent and Nikki are pretty close as far as influence goes tho...prolly a pretty valid comparison as well as both guys sold an image as necessarily opposed to talent

But sixx am is to Crue what Snakepit is to gnr

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
otto wrote:
misterID wrote:

Vrenna was Duff's idea, like Robin was Matt's (sorry monkey, you're arguing to argue at this point). Pitman was with Tool. And there was Sean who was Robin and Josh's suggestion, not Axl's. CD was not like NIN in any shape or form. Nor industrial.

The idea Axl tried to change GNR into NIN is just wrong.

Loader was a big supporter of the new line up, and has always been an Axl fan.

And I'm sure as shit not getting into a debate on NIN, especially when Syxx AM is brought up in the same breath.

Smoking Guns wrote:

"I was approached by Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle. He was doing some programming there with Axl and running one of the computers for it. Robin Finck was playing lead guitar and so the two of 'em kind of approached me to come in and help out and do some production for it." (Sean Beavan, Ultimate Guitar, 05/06/15)

They approached him to get a certain sound and production that Axl wanted. If he wanted to make a traditional Guns album he easily could have called Mike Clink. Let's stop the revisionist stuff. Axl wanted to make a Pearl Jam, meets NIN, meets Elton John, meets Queen album and he kind of did.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Look if ur a nin fan I mean no disrespect...I just don't understand the relationship to gnr style or content and every couple years the Reznor rose comparison seems to surface

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

"Matt Sorum introduced Rose to former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, advising that he would make a great foil for Slash - who could then be restored to the line-up." (Q Magazine, 05/01)
Howerdel was also responsible for introducing a future band member to Axl.
"[In early '98], I had been invited down to their studio to meet and hang out with the guys, the purpose being, as [Billy Howerdel] explained, they were looking for a producer or collaborator, and someone to bring some 'modern' sounds to the mix." (Chris Pitman, official website)
"I was introduced to them through Billy Howerdel, he worked for Tool for awhile. Billy’s just a fun guy, he was way into computers and stuff before many people were. He was doing recordings and playing a bunch of instruments, and was like myself, and he turned Axl on to the Lusk record, and Axl was way into the guitar sound and the orchestration we did." (Chris Pitman, Talking Metal, 11/08/08)
"According to insiders, [Sean] Beavan has been asked by Rose to get involved in the project, and the producer has accepted in principle, although details and contracts have yet to be worked out." (Rolling Stone, 09/20/98)
"They were great friends and it was good to work with them. I also met Tommy Stinson there (Replacements and GNR bassist) and we became great friends." (Sean Beavan, Fabryka, 08/15/06)
"Axl was really, really interested in working with me and doing some stuff together, which was really fun. Axl and I are the same age so we get along really well. We have similar influences... We're both big Alice Cooper and Queen fans. That was really fun." (Sean Beavan, Ultimate Guitar, 05/06/15)

Duff recommending Pod might have been an Axl chat.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
otto wrote:

Smoking Guns wrote:

They approached him to get a certain sound and production that Axl wanted. If he wanted to make a traditional Guns album he easily could have called Mike Clink. Let's stop the revisionist stuff. Axl wanted to make a Pearl Jam, meets NIN, meets Elton John, meets Queen album and he kind of did.

Yes, let's stop the revisionism, SG. They recommended Sean when Youth left.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Here is what I know....

Remove Axl from CD and that shit sounds nothing like GNR sans a couple songs. Whatever the fuck Axl's vision was, ultimately it was a failure in the eyes of the public which is a big part of the reason Slash is back today in 2016. We have come full circle and frankly, nobody cares about 2001 anymore. NOBODY. Unless that is the time you became a fan of GNR.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Here is what I know....

Remove Axl from CD and that shit sounds nothing like GNR sans a couple songs. Whatever the fuck Axl's vision was, ultimately it was a failure in the eyes of the public which is a big part of the reason Slash is back today in 2016. We have come full circle and frankly, nobody cares about 2001 anymore. NOBODY. Unless that is the time you became a fan of GNR.

That's a whole different argument. I guess Snakepit was GNR enough for you? And Axl had success, no matter how many times you say he didn't, doesn't change the fact CD was a platinum seller, had a real nice few last years touring and festivals and residencies. He was making a great living. Slash takes it to another level, but it appears they will be continuing the CD vision. Guess we'll see in a few weeks. smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Vrenna was Duff's idea, like Robin was Matt's (sorry monkey, you're arguing to argue at this point).

I'm not arguing to argue, it's just that your point is devoid of all logic.

It is on the record that Matt suggested Robin as a replacement for Gilby and Axl decided he'd be better replacing Slash.

That is absolutely not the same thing as Matt suggesting Robin be lead guitarist.

In 2006 Tommy and Richard recommended Frank for the drumming position. Had Axl decided to make Frank the lead singer would you say that was   Richards idea too?

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Still waiting for the source on Vrenna being Duffs idea.

Board footer