You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: What's your dream song inclusion for these shows?

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't need to hear Axl sing VR or Snakepit. I have the same feelings with Cornell and Audioslave....leave that shit in the past or do it solo.

My thing is more that I would have liked those songs to be developed by Axl.

Like Axl singing "Be the Ball" doesn't interest me as much as what Axl would have done with those Riffs.

As we all know slash's version is that Axl rejected them all, and Axl's version is that Slash told him no modifications allowed. I suspect something in the middle is about how it happened - Slash would have been keen to tour and so not into the idea of Axl tinkering with them for 2 years, while Axl hasn't be a fan of getting finished guitar tracks given to him and was interested in other sounds at the time. So there's probably truth behind both interpretations.

Shame though - I think the 5'Oclock instrumentals if worked on by Axl would have been a very solid return to AFD style rock for the band.

That said...I kinda wanna hear Axl do "Dime Store Rock" - as slash always went nuts on it....I dunno why in his solo catalogue he ignores everything but Beggars...that's one of the least exciting songs on that album to me.

My dream is the "tit for tat" encore where Slash does TWAT and Axl does Anastasia.

The trouble is, Anastasia has shithouse crap lyrics. Like you said, I'm less interested in Axl covering Snakepit/Slash solo tracks with second-rate lyrics than I am in hearing what he'd have done with the riffs. I'll make an exception for VR tracks, as I rate Weiland as a lyricist on a par with Rose. But Axl singing that clichéd nonsense about running away to Mexico 'cause he killed a man 'cause a girl done him wrong? Nope.

Also I'm not really sure that Anastasia's riffs would actually work in a GN'R context. No doubt it's a technically impressive song, but it does lean a bit too far in the direction of cheesy rock with its Bach riffs and classical guitar parts.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think GNR has a way of making things not cheesy. Like you could say if Anastasia has cheesy Bach Riffs and cliche lyrics then Double Talking Jive has cliche Spanish guitar and "Get the money motherfucker" isn't exactly high art lyrically - but they pull it off. I feel it would be the same.

As for it being a powerplay to play each others stuff, I see it more as common sense. Now we're over the cold war - there's no longer a reason to keep sides and shun each others works - and both of them have some of their best stuff outside of old GNR in my mind.

Also it would help freshen up the setlist. Both Axl and Slash have flogged the hell out of the back cataloge in their solo stuff past few years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I LOVE THE MUSIC TO ANASTASIA.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Also it would help freshen up the setlist. Both Axl and Slash have flogged the hell out of the back cataloge in their solo stuff past few years.

The problem is what do they "NOT" perform?

So many hits makes it tough for them to mix up the setlist too much

I'm curious to see if the continue with the 2.5-3hr sets or if they make the shows shorter

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

The only reason I'm partial to them including some VR and Snakepit songs (and dropping some of the CD stuff) is because I want them to rock. I like the piano ballads, but there are way too many of them. And in a live setting they kill the energy.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Pretty tied up and dead horse would be fun to see them do

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I do think Axl could kill it on Anastasia.

But over all play the best songs, drop Attitude, Live and Let Die, So Fine....

Insert The Garden, Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, Don't Damn Me, Coma, etc.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think GNR has a way of making things not cheesy. Like you could say if Anastasia has cheesy Bach Riffs and cliche lyrics then Double Talking Jive has cliche Spanish guitar and "Get the money motherfucker" isn't exactly high art lyrically - but they pull it off. I feel it would be the same.

As for it being a powerplay to play each others stuff, I see it more as common sense. Now we're over the cold war - there's no longer a reason to keep sides and shun each others works - and both of them have some of their best stuff outside of old GNR in my mind.

Those songs were written by GN'R though. If they are going to do Anastasia it will be a cover with maybe some quick adjustments by Axl, but you are still left with a cheesy Slash/Kennedy song at the core. I realize the song has many fans, to me though it's just not anywhere near GN'R standards and I don't see anything but a complete rework changing that.

I don't think we will see any power plays. Slash and Duff coming back is admitting that Axl was right, and that makes him happy. I'm pretty sure they know you don't screw around with Axl anymore. Imo they are back in the band because they want it, and it is completely on Axl's terms.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Those songs were written by GN'R though. If they are going to do Anastasia it will be a cover with maybe some quick adjustments by Axl, but you are still left with a cheesy Slash/Kennedy song at the core. I realize the song has many fans, to me though it's just not anywhere near GN'R standards and I don't see anything but a complete rework changing that.

I don't think we will see any power plays. Slash and Duff coming back is admitting that Axl was right, and that makes him happy. I'm pretty sure they know you don't screw around with Axl anymore. Imo they are back in the band because they want it, and it is completely on Axl's terms.

They want in GNR, maybe. Does that mean Axl was right? Hardly. Had he been right they wouldn't be back in is what some may say. As long as they are happy that is all I care about. It may just be for the money, I am fine with that too

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

If they really end up doing a full tour they will have to play quite a bit of Chinese Democracy because that album is actually pretty popular in South America

Board footer