You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What's your dream song inclusion for these shows?

AtariLegend wrote:
TheMole wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

So, I figured I'd try to put together a (somewhat) realistic setlist. This is based on the best-case scenario rumours that have been floating around – Izzy and Adler doing guest spots, a VR track, some Chinese Democracy material included and a new song (as per the rumours floating around, it's Atlas Shrugged – subbed in for Catcher, since it's allegedly a similar piano-led track).

I've tried to apply some rational thought to the setlist – it's loosely based on the most recent gigs, as this is effectively a "continuation" of Axl's GN'R with Slash and Duff subbed in for Tommy and DJ/Bumble. I've added solo spots and Izzy/Duff-led songs so Axl can go and huff oxygen backstage, assumed that they'll break out the tracks they've historically played and in roughly the same order, tried to balance fast/slow stuff and albums of different material in there. And I stuck Sailing in there 'cause why not? smile

Intro (The General)
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Estranged
Fortus solo (James Bond theme)
Live and Let Die
This I Love
So Fine (Duff vocals)
Dizzy solo (Another Brick in the Wall?)
Atlas Shrugged
14 Years (Izzy vocals)
Fall To Pieces
You Could Be Mine
Slash solo (Godfather)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Civil War
Axl piano jam
November Rain
You're Crazy (slow)
Yesterdays
Slash/Fortus guitar duet (Beautiful?)
Rocket Queen (Adler guest drums)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Madagascar
Patience
Nightrain

Encore
Sailing
Don't Cry (Adler/Izzy guest)
Paradise City (Adler/Izzy guest)

That's a fine setlist, but with only two CD songs I would hardly call that a continuation of Axl's GNR.

If I were to build on this, I'd drop some of the slower/piano stuff (and if Atlas Shrugged really is yet another piano ballad, I'd hope they debut another new song instead) and substitute for more rockers. For Axl to save face, I think you'd need to include CD, and given that it's a rocker that's easy for him to sing I'm betting it'll be in there (and I don't mind). If Pitman is really out, I think they'll drop Maddy. Since the better rockers on CD are sort off out of character for classic Guns, it might be better to pick up Slither and/or Set Me Free instead of adding Scrapped and Shackler's. I'm on the fence about Better, and really don't like Riad.

So how about this:

Welcome to the Jungle
Chinese Democracy
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Slither
Fortus solo (James Bond theme)
Live and Let Die
This I Love
So Fine (Duff vocals)
14 Years (Izzy vocals)
Fall To Pieces
You Could Be Mine
Set Me Free
Slash solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Civil War
Axl piano jam
November Rain
You're Crazy (slow)
Yesterdays
Slash/Fortus guitar duel
Rocket Queen (Adler guest drums)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Patience
Nightrain

Encore
Don't Cry (Adler/Izzy guest)
Paradise City (Adler/Izzy guest)

I don't think people really pay attention to this, but even that is more VR tracks than Slash himself plays at his average solo show. They do play Slither, but only one set-list from his most recent set of shows at least had more than Slither played.

johndivney wrote:

Velvet Revolver fucking sucked. I'd turn my back to the stage if they played that crap at a GnR show I was at.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I think he's perfectly capable of singing those songs, but he probably wouldn't want to do it every night – just like Prostitute and TWAT only got broken out on special occasions.

I mean, it'd be great if he defied expectations by opening with Perfect Crime instead of the widely anticipated WTTJ. And adding Don't Damn Me to the setlist would be a clever move – in terms of live performance it's effectively a new old song from the UYI era.

He is capable. From time to time he can still belt out good version of Jungle and YCBM, so the voice is there.

His problem is stamina. Jungle is first in the set so he often nails that, but even there he sometimes struggle after the first verse. Stuff like YCBM is similar, but worse, coming later in the show and tougher to sing.

Maybe he is too old to get back into the necessary shape to handle these songs. He should be able to perform them better though. If that happens we could see some rarities being played, but I don't expect it to be often. Locomotive and Coma were once in a blue moon back on UYI tour.

johndivney wrote:

He's not capable. Dunno where this faith in him is coming from. He's Mickey mouse'd the shit out of the catalogue for a decade or more now. How is he suddenly perfectly capable of delivering. He wasn't even perfectly capable of delivering after the 80's whatever got into him.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Velvet Revolver fucking sucked. I'd turn my back to the stage if they played that crap at a GnR show I was at.

Ohhh... you are so hardcore. I bet that would make Slash and Duff cry.... 10 14 14 14 14

johndivney wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Ohhh... you are so hardcore. I bet that would make Slash and Duff cry.... 10 14 14 14 14

Well I wouldn't want to make them cry. I'm not heartless. I just have good taste.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Did you see them live?

I'm not saying they were as good as GNR but live the songs came across way better than the studio. The chemistry was one of the best live acts I've seen. Although I agree with Duff comments back in 2008 that they hadn't yet made their best record.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I just have good taste.

Well, that's up for debate, seeing as the two times I saw VR in 2005 were up there with the best rock shows I've ever attended.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I just have good taste.

Well, that's up for debate, seeing as the two times I saw VR in 2005 were up there with the best rock shows I've ever attended.

People can have differing opinions. It's ok. And it's, well, normal.

johndivney wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I just have good taste.

Well, that's up for debate,

Board footer