You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

johndivney wrote:

A lot of people voted leave for the wrong reasons. This is a problem. There are legitimate reasons for leaving, but many have been hoodwinked. Fuck me.

johndivney wrote:

People can be so wicked, cruel & selfish. Firstly voting in the conservatives, Cameron & Gideon TWICE, then pulling the rug on our futures & throwing us into even deeper uncertainty with this. I just don't get people.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Wow.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Well done UK, I doubt throughout history there'll be many examples of a country fucking itself quite so thoroughly quite so quickly.

johndivney wrote:

It was England, mate. Always England..

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

It was England, mate. Always England..

I really hope their's no referendum here. I know some people will try and push for it, but it's really stupid. Northern Ireland isn't mature enough as a society to either vote against or for a united Ireland without bomb threats from both sides.

I think Scotland though is gone if their is a referendum. Whether it wants to join the EU or not, this referendum has just pointed more than ever that this isn't a united kingdom.

Probably be a surge of support for a London referendum too, that'll never happen though.

johndivney wrote:

It certainly doesn't do any favours for the stability of this place, but I doubt people on the mainland were thinking of much of us when casting their vote.. Obviously they weren't thinking of the people of Scotland either.

I mean normally I'm all for upsetting the status quo. This time however the unpredictability & the likelihood of the people in power is upsetting me!

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

This referendum is non-binding, right. What's to stop Cameron from not moving forward?

AtariLegend wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

This referendum is non-binding, right. What's to stop Cameron from not moving forward?

It's technically advisory, not binding yes.

That said, there's absolutely no way any democratic government in the western world would be able to get away with a "well thanks for the opinion guys, but we've decided to go a different way" line.

In this day and age anyway.

johndivney wrote:

No, I'm sure there are contingency plans in place for this. It's happened plenty where countries will repeatedly hold referendums until the government get the result they want.
It could happen - we could have a snap election & another referendum, or just another referendum. At the minute I think it will stand, but there's little ground in trying to predict what's going to occur.

We'll know more in the coming days I guess. For now tho the pressure is definitely on & it looks like Cameron is being ushered out.. Probably by the brexiters to ensure he doesn't stop the leave from moving forward.

Board footer