You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

johndivney wrote:

All those Tory leadership candidates are villainous. They've all been bought and paid for and in the pockets of lobbyists.

Strangely the only guy I wouldn't mind as PM is Corbyn! He might be ineffective and useless as a leader but at least he's not going to run roughshod over the poor or people's civil liberties.
But he's fucked & so are Labour.
& so are we all.

These people sayin "anyone but Boris" should be careful what they wish for. I can see it coming a mile off: we'll be like the US under Dubya, passing surveillance legislation under the guise of national security https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_C … _Data_Bill

It's just the next box to tick. They've already done it to the disabled cutting their benefits, changing the story that they're benefit frauds. They've done it with the EU & immigration, changing the story to blaming migrants for there being no jobs, no housing, no benefits. They'll do it with surveillance & liberty next.
All these things the aim is to blame someone else & use the results for their own benefit.

& I mean that outlook is the positive outlook. If that doesn't happen you'll see worse: the rise of UKIP & the BNP, the far right.
I just don't see any way out unless some kind of collective awakening occurs & people & MP's start catching themselves on & conducting themselves with some common decency. Fat fucking chance.

A Belfast nurse was told to "f*** off back to your country" after being asked if he was from the EU during a night out in the city.

The incident has been linked to a rise in racist incidents since the historic Brexit vote.

Mohammed Samaana, originally from Palestine and now a UK citizen has lived in Northern Ireland for 15 years and works in a Belfast hospital.

The 41-year-old said he was verbally abused while enjoying a night out in a city centre bar.

He said: "On Saturday night, a man I have never met before said to me: 'You from the EU? F*** off back to your country. Get the f*** out of our country.

“At first I thought he was joking, but then he continued the abuse and started shaking his fists at me. I decided it was better to leave rather than have the incident escalate.

“What makes me really sad is that the three men and three women who were with him didn’t say a word, condoning his racism by their silence.

"I think everyone now needs to speak out and challenge racism wherever and whenever we see it.”

Tbh, this probably coulda happened without Brexit.
The point is how emboldened these people feel now, where maybe they'd have thought these things but wouldn't have had the gall to say them. Now they think people actually agree with them so it's somehow OK to broadcast that vile shit. & again, it's just going to get worse. If they're arrogant enough to do that, they'll soon be doing worse. & you know how quickly these things can escalate over here. & the season we're into. We're on thin ice.

AtariLegend wrote:

Reality Check: Have Leave campaigners changed their tune?

The Reality Check team looks at some of the claims and promises made during the campaign by Leave campaigners who now appear to have modified their positions.

_90129468_farageepa.jpg
Immigration

The campaign claim: Immigration levels could be controlled if the UK left the EU. This would relieve pressure on public services.
The current claim: Immigration levels can't be radically reduced by leaving the EU. Fears about immigration did not influence the way people voted.

Reality Check verdict: During the campaign, some Leave campaigners sent a clear message that the referendum was about controlling immigration. Some are now being more nuanced, saying the UK's decision to leave the EU would not guarantee a significant decrease in immigration levels.

Immigration was the key issue of the EU referendum campaign, and Vote Leave's focus on it was a key part of their strategy.
One of the main claims of the campaign centred around control of immigration levels.

Responding to the latest Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures, which showed that overall net migration stands at 333,000, MEP Nigel Farage said: "Mass immigration is still hopelessly out of control and set to get worse if we remain inside the EU."
Though Mr Farage was not part of the official Vote Leave campaign but campaigned in favour of leaving the EU, similar claims were later echoed by Vote Leave campaigner Gisela Stuart.

She said voting to remain meant there would be "no control" over migration from the EU, "no matter how great the pressure on schools, hospitals and housing becomes or how much wages in our poorest communities are pushed down".
Similarly, leading pro-Leave campaigner and Tory leader front runner Boris Johnson said that the only solution to the scale of immigration which the UK was facing, was to leave the EU.

He claimed a vote to stay in the union would mean people "kissing goodbye permanently to control of immigration".
The Leave campaign also repeatedly linked EU migration with pressure on public services.

On the 20 May, Vote Leave produced a document which it claimed outlined the pressure that migration from the European Union would put on the NHS - a 28% to 57% increase in demand for accident and emergency services.
As we discovered, an increasing population would put additional demand on A&E but the extent of that increase had not been demonstrated.

But in an article published in the Daily Telegraph on Monday, Mr Johnson denied a victory for leaving the EU could be linked to immigration.
He wrote: "It is said that those who voted Leave were mainly driven by anxieties about immigration. I do not believe that is so."
And speaking to the BBC's Newsnight programme on Saturday, MEP Daniel Hannan insisted the public had not been misled over how much control the country would have over immigration post-Brexit.

In a heated exchange with Evan Davis, he said: "We never said there was going to be some radical decline ... we want a measure of control".
"Frankly, if people watching think that they have voted and there is now going to be zero immigration from the EU, they are going to be disappointed."

_90126400_b205dea6-4432-49f8-83bf-058913bb52c8.jpg

Contributions to the EU budget

The campaign claim: We send £350m a week to Brussels, which could be spent on the NHS instead.

The current claim: The claim was a mistake, and we will not be able to spend that much extra on the NHS.

Reality Check verdict: Some of those who campaigned for Leave are now distancing themselves from this claim. Some have gone as far as admitting that it had been a mistake.
One of the most controversial claims of the campaign was that the UK sends £350m a week (or £50m a day) to Brussels, which could be spent on the NHS instead.

Vote Leave's Gisela Stuart was among those to make the claim, saying "Every week we send £350m to Brussels. I'd rather that we control how to spend that money, and if I had that control I would spend it on the NHS."
Many bodies including the UK Statistics Authority pointed out that we do not send that much a week because the rebate is deducted before any money is spent.

Over the weekend, Nigel Farage said making the claim had been "a mistake".

_90130000_de27-1.jpg

On Sunday's Andrew Marr Show, Iain Duncan Smith was shown a Vote Leave poster saying: "Let's give our NHS the £350m the EU takes every week," but he denied that promise had been made and said instead that the NHS would receive "the lion's share" of money that would no longer be spent on the EU.

The actual amount sent to Brussels each week in 2014 was £276m, a little over £100m of which is spent on things in the UK such as subsidising farmers and funding research, which the Leave campaign also promised to continue funding until 2020.

_88177609_containers.bbc.felix.jpg

The single market

The campaign claim: Some on the Leave side suggested the UK does not need preferential access to the single market.

The current claim: The UK should get preferential access to the single market but will not have to accept freedom of movement to get it.

Reality Check verdict: The position has shifted from claims the UK could trade under World Trade Organisation rules to one which suggests the UK will continue to have preferential access to the single market, but at the same time having some control over immigration levels.

During the campaign, some Leave campaigners said that the UK outside of the EU would not need preferential access to the single market and would just trade under World Trade Organization rules.
This was the basis of research by Economists for Brexit, who said the UK should unilaterally remove all tariffs on imports.

But writing in the Telegraph on Monday, Boris Johnson quoted German employers' organisation the BDI as saying there would continue to be free trade and access to the single market.
The BDI later denied this.
If the UK wanted to retain preferential access to the single market, many European politicians say it would have to continue to accept freedom of movement.
Boris Johnson said that British people would continue to be able to live, work and study in the EU, while at the same time the UK would be able to introduce a points-based system to control migration.

Leader of the House of Commons Chris Grayling said that we would be able to have a free trade agreement with the EU while at the same time controlling the flow of people coming into the country.
The UK can certainly aim to secure such a deal.
But no country so far has managed a deal that allows full preferential access to the single market without having to accept freedom of movement.

Source
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e … m-36641390

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm convinced at this point the only thing to save the U.K. & the U.S. is Trump's Nationalism. It's crazy, I know. It's never worked out before in history. I know.

But with the continuance of the globalists pushing of this infinite war on "Radical Islam", despite the fact they pay Israeli Intelligence to pose as ISIS to commit attacks and force Muslims out of their homes... what else is there to do?

Only thing U.K. & U.S. can do is LOCK DOWN. Shut the borders. No one else in or out. Done.

But how would that affect commerce & trade? Hillary just wants to sell every fucking thing the U.S. has off to China.

johndivney wrote:

You're an idiot.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If you're going to call someone an idiot Johnnie I'd prefer to hear an argument to back it up.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If you're going to call someone an idiot Johnnie I'd prefer to hear an argument to back it up.

He's just skeered.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Are you serious? It's the inchoate ramblings of a racist nut job. It's like scaling an iceberg of stupid.
Ideally he'd be locked up in his narrow minded island with the rest of the racists fuckwads so we could all point and laugh as they dig themselves a deeper hole (tho of course they'd need untrustworthy foreigners to actually do the digger for them). 
Close the borders? I'd pity anyone who couldn't get out and away from him if that happened.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

That's better. tongue

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Are you serious? It's the inchoate ramblings of a racist nut job. It's like scaling an iceberg of stupid.
Ideally he'd be locked up in his narrow minded island with the rest of the racists fuckwads so we could all point and laugh as they dig themselves a deeper hole (tho of course they'd need untrustworthy foreigners to actually do the digger for them). 
Close the borders? I'd pity anyone who couldn't get out and away from him if that happened.

Fine John.

Leave the U.K. borders WIDE OPEN

So then when Mossad, cough, I mean ISIS shows up to blow up 41 Britains, they'll be sure to stop by your house.

But when we Eulogize you, I promise... I remind everyone over your grave... you weren't a racist.

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

You're an idiot.

Yep.

He's not the only one.

Please only feel free to continue the discussion on this subject if you're European/British. Americans can discuss the glory of Trump and nationalism in the other threads.

Board footer