You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

They will make a TV series out of this one day. It's basically already House of Cards, without the murders (well that we know of).

johndivney wrote:

Hopefully someone pushes Michael Gove under a [school] bus.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow.....sounds like this is turning into the clusterfuck of the century. No matter which direction this goes it is clearly a monumental event in Europe's history.

We want out! We want out! We want out!

*one nanosecond after getting out*

Now what do we do? It wasn't as bad as we told you guys! Help!

Its frightening that such change can happen when the general population holds their fate in their own hands but really doesn't have a clue as to what that fate is.

Should the UK just override this decision or would such a measure make it worse? This gives new meaning to the term between a rock and a hard place.

johndivney wrote:

And because we all like a Downfall meme on Gnrevo..

I love those. Anyone know when that caught on to such a degree?[/embed]

AtariLegend wrote:

Too lazy to copy/paste all of this, but this is an article about what happened with Boris.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 … o-nest-pl/

James Lofton wrote:

Should the UK just override this decision or would such a measure make it worse?

Almost all of the politicians, including those that campaigned that we leave think leaving is a terrible idea. Allegedly at least one of the leave camp according to the BBC was in tears the night they found that people actually voted leave.

You can't make up the absurdity of it all. They put their careers on the line, in the hope that they'd lose, but look like heroes. Their are of course a few (just), that actually are genuinely happy with this. Gove (who's managed to orchestrate a situation where he fucked over both the Prime Minster and the PM's nemesis Boris to climb the ladder) for example, because this is his ownly real path to being PM. Their's been stories in the press dating back a while, that he had the worst net negative reputation in parliament. The public just didn't like him and he was an unpopular education secretary.

The problem is, they campaigned on this and managed to convince middle England of their absurd claims/half-truths to the extent that their would be riots on the streets if the government over turned this.

Cameron's probably the most blame though. He didn't need to hold this referendum. Public support for the EU was higher before this campaign started. He spent his time as PM shifting the blame to Brussels, then campaigned to hold a referendum on the UK's membership if the Tories won. Then he decides to back remaining in the UK (I'd guess, because he wanted to be on the winning side and get more votes next time).

Really stupid. The real ramifications of this though will only be known just before 2020 (the next election). Given alot of people have jobs reliant on EU funding, not to mention businesses moving off from London to main land Europe (potentially), alot of projects relying on EU funding, a likely recession and a break up of the United Kingdom (with Scotland highly likely gone if their's a referendum) ect. Whoever's the next PM is not going to be remembered very well.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

Too bad I missed that one yesterday

bj_zpsm8b4us0u.jpg

big_smile

johndivney wrote:

See I don't think that's the case. Think that's misplaced opprobrium. Boris didn't fuck off, he was pushed overboard, outmanoeuvred. I think he wanted nothing more than to be the PM who was responsible for Brexit. It's just he couldn't carry the support of Murdoch or the Daily Mail guy & got outflanked by Gove.
If Boris has his way he'd still be in the Tory leadership race.

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Should the UK just override this decision or would such a measure make it worse? This gives new meaning to the term between a rock and a hard place ]

This is one of the questions we're faced with now. The general consensus seems to be accept it & start to build again, that overriding the decision would make matters worse.

The theory behind this is: such a large percentage of the leave vote was in effect a protest vote against the political class/elite, & if you're to go against their wishes under the guise of a second referendum or parliament not triggering Brexit then you simply give more ammunition & anger to these people who feel they are disenfranchised already & distrustful of the political machinery.
The logical progression for these people is to vote right wing & fringe groups. It's like the lesser of two evils is to accept Brexit & now start addressing matters, such as these deprived sections, rather than run the risk of far right/extremists getting into government.

I don't subscribe to that. I think it's just giving in & giving up.
Imo leaving the EU is only going to embolden these people anyhow. More than that, leaving the EU presents us with [trade] solutions which will leave us deeply worse off in the short to medium term. There are literally NO immediate [financial or otherwise] benefits to be gained from leaving.

I think it is worth risking the rise of the right to try and prevent Brexit.
Of course there's no guarantee that leave wouldn't win a second referendum or eventually force through Brexit through parliament. But it's better than just admitting defeat.
Admitting defeat to only 52/3% of those that voted on that given day on such a profoundly significant subject - I know some of you criticise this as undemocratic, compared it to voting for Obama & trying to reverse that, but you only get a president for 4 years before you can vote him out, this Brexit is for keeps, forever. The democratic process needs to be exhausted before this can be totally decided, imo.
If the majority had been larger maybe defeat would've been easier to accept. Also, it goes against the wishes of the majority of voters in Northern Ireland & Scotland. The manner the vote was conducted also raised serious questions, never mind the stupefying reaction & turmoil it's immediate aftermath caused.

I would override it in a heartbeat, but that doesn't seem to be the direction the general public or the politicians are going in.
I said before I'm pro-EU, pro-Europe, & this hasn't changed my mind one bit. I'd forge stronger alliances if I had my way. I know the EU needs massive reform & a lot of powers taken from it & given back to the individual states, but I also see the EU as a work in progress. We've had centuries upon centuries of war in Europe, we haven't even had 100 years of the EU & already people are writing it off as a failed experiment. It's crazy to me people won't give it a chance. Hell there's people on here that won't give it a chance!

Re downfall
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/downfall- … cts?full=1

AtariLegend wrote:

Seen the Thursday Newsnight. Gove doesn't just look evil and spout lies... he's a neo conservative pro Iraq war candidate that was against the good Friday agreement.

I don't think someone this far to the authoritarian right pushing "radical changes" at the same time as the UK's negotiating an EU exit is a good idea.

I'm worried.

AtariLegend wrote:

I wonder if the Americans know that Murdoch owns Fox and half the media in the world.

That is essentially his agenda their pushing, it's the same as the half the newspapers/Sky News here in the UK.

When Political leaders around the world are bought and sold by one person, is it really a democracy? The average person doesn't even know who is he.

johndivney wrote:

Yea democracy's been hijacked by the rich. One of the reasons I was a bit pissed off at people sayin holding a 2nd referendum or not triggering article 50 would be undemocratic. One of the reasons, there's plenty more!

Honestly, you's should just put me in charge.

Board footer