You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

Final major TV debate at prime time on BBC tonight. Should be interesting.

Supposed to be 2 hours long.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Not my fight, but I see an opportunity for England to return to economic glory through leaving.  If it's out of the EU, it can try to rival NYC as the economic capital of the world.  Obviously its strongest partners are going to still be the US and a couple EU countries, but it can become the world bank and through trade deals, establish the pound as the standard over the US Dollar. 

I'm sorry, but if you dispatched some bobbies to put to work all your chavs and other free loaders, you wouldn't need to bring in eastern european immigrants who are only interested in your high welfare rate.  The income you'd made on banking could fund your NHS and other system.  Just so many opportunities to make England a world power again and increase the quality of life of your people by leaving, versus the status quo in the EU.  The EU will never be on the same level as the US, China or Russia.  The social welfare is absurd and the bureaucracy prevents real ingenuity.  What was the last cool product you heard of being designed in the EU?  Let mainland Europe keep it's 60 different countries and languages and squabble about how enlightened they are while Britain is free to seek out deals that solely benefit it.

First, the EU is the largest economy in the world, so it is most definitely 'on the same level' as the US. Second, the UK's social welfare system is more extensive than the European average in terms of services provided, so it wouldn't be any less 'absurd' if they leave. Third, you need to realize that in order to have access to the EU market, the UK will still need to conform to EU rules and regulations; there is no way the EU will go for a trade deal that gives the UK more benefits compared to other EU countries if they leave.

in terms of innovation, it's hard to quantify but I think it's fair to say that the US puts out more cool consumer products and it is easier for tech startups to raise money. The EU though outperforms the US in large scale industrial innovation and focusing on western Europe it beats the US in innovative medicine as measured by nobel prizes for medicine per capita (All Scandinavian countries, the UK, Belgium and Austria are more innovative than the US as far as medicine is concerned). Airbus is consistently more innovative than Boeing, despite the latter's massive government subsidies for its military programs. There's no such thing as a European iPhone though (but before that Nokia held the crown, owning more market share than any other manufacturer ever, including Apple. And cellular telephony was invented in Europe with all of the world currently using the ETSI (European Telecommunication Standards Institute) GSM standard).

You do have a point on the bureaucracy though, that's frustratingly true.

Oh, and also this:

AtariLegend wrote:

Personally felt remain won all the arguments and had the stronger more relate able team. It would have better too if Sadiq and Boris weren't there.

Unfortunately Boris gives a short Trump like speech at the end about making Britain great again (basically), while dodging most of the questions. Unfortunately the exiters gave him a standing ovation at the end.

The arguments/facts didn't sway any of them in the end, they just wanted to hear someone talk about how great the country is (while spending his time talking about how the EU has ruined it).

This is going to end badly regardless of the vote now. They'll be out rioting if London, Scotland, Northern Island and Wales vote to stay as expected, while the rest of England (those over 30) vote to leave.

Well done Cameron.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm going to vote tomorrow 18. Still looks like a lost cause, despite the polls putting it 50/50.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I have faith it will remain as is. Just don't see a country like UK leaving the EU.

Lomax wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I'm going to vote tomorrow 18. Still looks like a lost cause, despite the polls putting it 50/50.

Never bet against the money. The money is strong.

The money is on Remain for the major bookies.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/sports-cent … eferendum/

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/ … k-politics

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I felt Labour would win the GE last year and polls suggested it would be close. In the end the Tories won at a canter. Only polls worth paying attention to are exit polls.

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I felt Labour would win the GE last year and polls suggested it would be close. In the end the Tories won at a canter. Only polls worth paying attention to are exit polls.

No exit polls this time. Data is expected to be eratic from region to region. Wouldn't be easy to predict.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Not my fight, but I see an opportunity for England to return to economic glory through leaving.  If it's out of the EU, it can try to rival NYC as the economic capital of the world.  Obviously its strongest partners are going to still be the US and a couple EU countries, but it can become the world bank and through trade deals, establish the pound as the standard over the US Dollar. 

I'm sorry, but if you dispatched some bobbies to put to work all your chavs and other free loaders, you wouldn't need to bring in eastern european immigrants who are only interested in your high welfare rate.  The income you'd made on banking could fund your NHS and other system.  Just so many opportunities to make England a world power again and increase the quality of life of your people by leaving, versus the status quo in the EU.  The EU will never be on the same level as the US, China or Russia.  The social welfare is absurd and the bureaucracy prevents real ingenuity.  What was the last cool product you heard of being designed in the EU?  Let mainland Europe keep it's 60 different countries and languages and squabble about how enlightened they are while Britain is free to seek out deals that solely benefit it.

First, the EU is the largest economy in the world, so it is most definitely 'on the same level' as the US. Second, the UK's social welfare system is more extensive than the European average in terms of services provided, so it wouldn't be any less 'absurd' if they leave. Third, you need to realize that in order to have access to the EU market, the UK will still need to conform to EU rules and regulations; there is no way the EU will go for a trade deal that gives the UK more benefits compared to other EU countries if they leave.

in terms of innovation, it's hard to quantify but I think it's fair to say that the US puts out more cool consumer products and it is easier for tech startups to raise money. The EU though outperforms the US in large scale industrial innovation and focusing on western Europe it beats the US in innovative medicine as measured by nobel prizes for medicine per capita (All Scandinavian countries, the UK, Belgium and Austria are more innovative than the US as far as medicine is concerned). Airbus is consistently more innovative than Boeing, despite the latter's massive government subsidies for its military programs. There's no such thing as a European iPhone though (but before that Nokia held the crown, owning more market share than any other manufacturer ever, including Apple. And cellular telephony was invented in Europe with all of the world currently using the ETSI (European Telecommunication Standards Institute) GSM standard).

You do have a point on the bureaucracy though, that's frustratingly true.

Oh, and also this:

[/embed]

You can't say the EU has the largest economy in the world, because the EU as a single entity doesn't exist.  You're not even on the same currency.  Can I say NAFTA has the largest economy in the world?  There's nothing in Europe you're producing more effectively than in the US or something the US has outsourced.  I'd love a citation to qualify that claim. 

Medicine is pretty much all the same in the western world, but the US is still at the top unless you're one of the window licking retards who can't figure out how to get access.  Our surgeons and tech are number one.  That's not coming from some "MURICA!, YEA!" nonsense either.  It's because we have more people dedicated to research and our medical system is still profit based.  You can argue the morality and benefits of single provider versus a free market system, but the research and innovation is without a dispute geared towards the free market system.  First successful organ transplant was done in America.  MRI was invented in America.  While Penicillin was discovered in the UK, it was under American production that it became viable and wide spread. Again, this isn't some Patriotic attempt to make myself feel good because of where I was born.  But if you needed major surgery and cost wasn't an option, where would you go for surgery - Prague or NYC?

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

Saw this earlier today:

IMG_3843_zpsrn6ufsel.jpg

I have seen more "LEAVE" signs than "remaIN"/"IN" around here.... Also the leavers use bold signs (bright red and block letters) while pro Europe home owners tend to go for pastel (light orange and yellow, for instance). You can barely read their signs. It feels like they are shy or scared or something. 10

Board footer