You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What does a reunion mean for Axl's Vault?

Lomax wrote:

What does the reunion mean for the vaults?

Will Slash and Duff record parts for music from the vault or is it more likely that Axl will release material from the vault as solo material?

Either way it is going to be interesting to see how the reunion effects the vault.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

If we are to believe the rumors, they're working on some of the material in the vault. Atlas Shrugged was mentioned. I think that'd make sense. Axl didn't abandon the songs when Bucket left. Robin left so late in the game that it didn't matter. My question would be, would Bucket, Robin, Tommy, etc. be used on the tracks or would they scrap them and just go with Slash and Duff? I could totally see the rationale of just going with Slash and Duff, but if Bucket, Robin, Tommy had a big part in creating those songs it could be a little sticky.

Let's get through these shows first though. 16

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

faldor wrote:

My question would be, would Bucket, Robin, Tommy, etc. be used on the tracks or would they scrap them and just go with Slash and Duff? I could totally see the rationale of just going with Slash and Duff, but if Bucket, Robin, Tommy had a big part in creating those songs it could be a little sticky.

Well, Axl showed no hesitation in stripping Bucket's guitar parts out of Shackler's Revenge (a Bucket-penned track) and replacing him with Bumblefoot. Likewise, Josh Freese doesn't feature anywhere on Chinese Democracy, despite having written the track. So I think Axl will cheerfully remove and replace the bass and guitar parts from his vault tracks with Duff and Slash.

Having said that, I doubt we'll hear a version of Goin' Down with Duff replacing Tommy's vocals! Though thinking about it, wasn't there supposed to be an Axl-only version of that track? It'd certainly be a good old-school rocker for them…

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

1. if anybody can make Axl releasing new (or slightly older but reworked) stuff, it's probably Slash and Duff and nobody else.
2. really hard to say what exactly will happen now. because in fact anything can happen.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
faldor wrote:

My question would be, would Bucket, Robin, Tommy, etc. be used on the tracks or would they scrap them and just go with Slash and Duff? I could totally see the rationale of just going with Slash and Duff, but if Bucket, Robin, Tommy had a big part in creating those songs it could be a little sticky.

Well, Axl showed no hesitation in stripping Bucket's guitar parts out of Shackler's Revenge (a Bucket-penned track) and replacing him with Bumblefoot. Likewise, Josh Freese doesn't feature anywhere on Chinese Democracy, despite having written the track. So I think Axl will cheerfully remove and replace the bass and guitar parts from his vault tracks with Duff and Slash.

Having said that, I doubt we'll hear a version of Goin' Down with Duff replacing Tommy's vocals! Though thinking about it, wasn't there supposed to be an Axl-only version of that track? It'd certainly be a good old-school rocker for them…

Bucket's still on Shackler's, isn't he? I thought I remember Ron saying Bucket played the intro part that sounds like a wailing elephant, or something along those lines. I get your point though. Anything is possible!

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

oh yeah, Bucket IS on Shackler's, actually all over it!

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I want to hear the General.

I always imagined it would feature some military marching of the heels and a snare beat with it and lots of distortion included.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me getting a record out is the most important thing now.

Obviously shows earn a lot of $ and are a lot of fun - but in terms of history we have a lot of boots of these songs already. (jungle et al)

In the studio any weakness with Axl's voice could be fixed.

It's time to let Slash and Duff rock up this vault tracks and release them.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

IMHO, the LAST thing they should be worrying about is releasing music....  Just milk the tour for a year or two and be done with it.

Unless, the 3/4/5?? of them actually... yknow, write a record together... Not play Axls fav game of tic-tac-toe production.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Why? I agree they wouldn't need to financially. This will sell stadiums as a reunion tour (despite no Adler/Izzy) alone.

However to me artistically, while I love live shows and I'll be happy to go when they come, it's a game of diminishing returns. They've played these songs live thousands of times now. It's a great night for the locals who can go in any town. But at some point they played it better at some other show. There's a peak.

But if they were to write a new album - that's music that will last for the rest of our lives.

Board footer