You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: No Going Back

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:

Then it wasn't Gn'R with Sorum and Gilby either?

Same thing.

Hahaha... Furbush hittin' it three rows deep as always.

Always love when people play GN'R chess with these new Johnny Come lately Izzy/Steven-ites.

If it isn't GN'R without Izzy, then GN'R played their last show in the Fall of 1991.

Lomax wrote:

There is no going back from this. Once you reintroduce Duff and Slash into the band you can't go back on that.
From this point on, Guns will always include Duff and Slash and without them nobody will accept GNR as GNR.
I accepted all the previous lineups as legitimate. But seeing the Troubadour footage has changed things.
GNR will always involve Slash and Duff for me now.

Well... yeah. Once Axl made that move, regardless of individual feelings... there's no coming back from this. Axl doesn't have the benefit of being KISS post-Frehley, when the band kept touring with Criss on drums, and Tommy Thayer on lead guitar. They were all in makeup, and like Van Halen, had 3/4 original members.

Now GN'R could still be GN'R and tour with pretty much anybody, as long as Axl & Slash are there, very similar to The Who with Roger Daltrey & Pete Townshend. Although Aerosmith has never broken up, I firmly feel they could tour with replacement players and just Steven & Joe up front.

GN'R can do the same, but Axl & Slash will always be a requirement at this point. GN'R will not be able to pull a Foreigner, and go find a replacement guitarist or in Foreigner's case a replacement vocalist, and tour basically as the GN'R brand with one original member or less (eeek).

This band is too big, and Axl & Slash are too big of icons. Unlike members of Foreigner or even Journey. Axl & Slash will be involved in some form from this point to the end of the band.

Yup.. This is it. Enjoy it.

And Axlin? I don't always hit homers, baby. We joined up around the same time. There was a time our rep points were about the same. You clearly be headed for The Hall around here. Me? Every once in a while, they toss me a meatball and I crank it the other way. tongue

There are purists that go further. My brother refuses to acknowledge them after Adler left. Even Izzy said they became something else when Sorum jumped on board.

To me, Frankie N' Fortus are the new Matt N' Gilby. If you think about it,Axl/Slash/Duff was the core back then too. This ain't no different.

Yeah... I really had no clue when I joined the legacy would last as long as it did. Sometimes I feel like the LeBron of the board. One week i'm babyface, one week i'm heel, next week i'm wanting to play for someone else... eventually it kinda settled down and found a groove, and I was smart enough to take breaks when the band wasn't really doing anything at all.

One day I look up, and damn the post count and karma count... somebody liked something I did. But at the same time -- the years. It does not feel like so many of us (and I came late to the dance) have been around Evo for EIGHT YEARS since the summer before the release of Chinese Democracy.

Where does the time go?

All of you made me look good.

Cheers  5

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You guys are going to take it hard when Slash quits again in 2018 and is replaced by Dough Aldrich wink wink

Dude you just got my dick hard.

If Aldrich joins the band, I fully support Matt Sorum's return. I think making that change could give GN'R a bit more of a metal sound. Might be nice to try.

bigbri wrote:

Just wanna say, Axlin16, Steve Perry is pretty iconic. A Journey reunion tomorrow would rival GNR.

You think Bri? I mean I know Perry is iconic, but you really think Journey in 2016-20 could be playing stadiums with Perry/Schon/Valory/Smith/Cain?

I think they could sell out arenas... stadiums... i'm not sure GN'R is going to do that this year. So I dunno.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Aldrich fucking rules.

Stand Up And Shouuuuuut!!!!

**RIFF**

Lomax wrote:
Furbush wrote:

Aldrich fucking rules.

**RIFF**

That was Viv Campbell on Stand Up and Shout.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:

Aldrich fucking rules.

**RIFF**

When you first said that, the first thing I thought of was this...

God I loved that band. Aldrich when he was a baby. Fucking best then too.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Lomax wrote:
Furbush wrote:

Aldrich fucking rules.

**RIFF**

That was Viv Campbell on Stand Up and Shout.

There used to be a dope ass live video on youtube of Aldrich ripping that song up. Cannot find it for the life of me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Journey with Perry on a final run would definitely be huge.

I agree that with the exception of a handful of "guest appearances", this is the lineup the rest of the way. Someone like FRank or Fortus might leave but the core 3 are here to stay.

No chance in hell of another Chinese situation happening again. Its too late in the game for another reboot.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You guys are going to take it hard when Slash quits again in 2018 and is replaced by Dough Aldrich wink wink

Dude you just got my dick hard.

If Aldrich joins the band, I fully support Matt Sorum's return. I think making that change could give GN'R a bit more of a metal sound. Might be nice to try.

bigbri wrote:

Just wanna say, Axlin16, Steve Perry is pretty iconic. A Journey reunion tomorrow would rival GNR.

You think Bri? I mean I know Perry is iconic, but you really think Journey in 2016-20 could be playing stadiums with Perry/Schon/Valory/Smith/Cain?

I think they could sell out arenas... stadiums... i'm not sure GN'R is going to do that this year. So I dunno.

Well, I mean, they sell out arenas and sheds every summer without Perry. With Perry, yeah, I think they could.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Lofton put it better than me, but yeah. GN'R has already had their run at the top. They had a reboot in the early 2000's and it failed for a variety of reasons. This is actually their 2nd reboot, ala Whitesnake in the mid-2000's with Aldrich/Beach, but obviously on a Rolling Stones-level.

That's why I used the Whitesnake reference. People forget that Whitesnake made a mild splash in the rock scene in the late 70s/early 80s, and were significantly popular in the U.K. They had their moment and a couple of hits, and never cracked the U.S. market. By the Slide It In-era, with Sykes on guitar, Coverdale was still failing to get in the U.S. what he wanted. 'Snake '87 was him scrapping the board, completely rebooting the band into a glam rock outfit, and by Slip of the Tongue, they were straight metal with Vandenburg/Vai. He rose to the top of the world, then basically went into modest retirement by 1990, having no clue about the grunge explosion on the way.

Fast-forward to the mid-2000's, then came the reboot with Doug Aldrich/Reb Beach, that was a hybrid band between early 'Snake & glam 'Snake. Probably the way the band always should've been. Regardless, it was a SECOND reboot, and somehow for a time -- it worked. They weren't playing Download or anything, but they had some modest success as a tribute act to themselves.

Axl won't have the ability to do that, because people never viewed him as the centerpiece of the band. Never. Maybe in his mind, but never. Like James said, it's too late in the life cycle.

I come back to the Alice In Chains thing earlier with them being seen as a trio. DuVall imo will never been seen as a true member, despite promotion, but that core of Cantrell/Kinney/Inez, pretty much is AIC. Those pieces imo don't change. That's the core. DuVall can be removed, and that trio will still tour as AIC, whether they bring in a replacement or not. I'd love for Jerry to bring in someone like Aaron Lewis (who'd probably jump at the job as he was a huge Layne mark), but Jerry's ego will never allow it. He still is wanting to convince the world he was always the brains behind Chains (which he was).

Axl doesn't have that option. As just little things like recent soundchecks tonight have proven... THE BAND (at least Slash & Duff) were just as important to the core of Guns N' Roses, as Axl himself.

Just having Slash & Duff there, the guitars sound infinitely better, the backing vocals & harmonies make the songs sound like they did on the album, and with Axl there -- that's the nucleus. Izzy fucked off in '91 to never return, and that's HIS doing.

Again, not to beat a broken record, and yes to slight my boy Dizzy, but yeah... GN'R = Axl/Slash/Duff. It's even being promoted as "Axl, Slash & Duff return to the stage for the first time in 23 years".

It'll stay that way. The only thing that will change that is an untimely death. And of course, if Axl dies -- it's over. He's truely irreplaceable.

johndivney wrote:

I HOPE op & you others are right, that slash n Axl are the lineup. But I still have a feeling Axl could Mike love the whole thing - that once the chequers are cashed on this reunion he'll kick/manoeuvre them out of the band again & do his own thing..

Board footer