You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Re: 20/4/16 FORO SOL, MEXICO CITY, MEXICO

thanks for posting TWAT.

Amazing!   Really curious how Slash stayed pretty true to that solo but completely redid other CD song parts.      His playing really fits that song well.   

Axl sounds great.    Gotta get tickets for another show this summer.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

TWAT hasn't sounded this good since it leaked. Unfortunate that we never got to hear Bucket play it. We wanted the best but he couldn't fucking make it....so here's what we get....from Hollywood.....

bigbri wrote:

Amazing TWAT solo. I'll expound later, but I think it says something that he completely gutted the TIL solo but followed the TWAT blueprint while putting his own spin on it.

Good observation. Respect the chicken but throw away the mashed potatoes.

Not a dig at Finck but its obvious he did not like that solo.

Axl is nailing this song vocally. I love how he sings 'Lonely tear drops are calling you....but I don't wanna know it now....'

We need this in HQ very badly.

AtariLegend wrote:

Disagree entirely on that. There Was A Time/Chinese Democracy sound excellent at the minute. The less layers actually making them feel more alive (live) now to me.

I agree. I'm surprised zombux isn't too thrilled with it as he's a huge fan of the early CD lineups and this reunion is taking the songs back to their roots. The current version of CD and the HOB version blow away the noise pollution album/ post CD performances of the song out of the water.

AtariLegend wrote:

One upside/downside to take out of this. There Was A Time looks like it's the alternative for Coma. That means there's a chance when Axl is out of the chair they'll be playing it more often, but it might mean Coma will become rarer again.

For the moment. This strategy was used by Soundgarden as well....a rotation of deep cuts. One night fans get Head Down, 4th of July, etc. and the next night in those slots you get Mind Riot, Birth Ritual,etc.

They aren't phoning it in. This strategy also points out the laziness of the CD years. Those rehash set lists could have been performed in their sleep. I'll never forget how they wanted us to think those set lists were "spontaneous".

bigbri wrote:

And so what if he's shredding?

14 Yeah...no shit. Its ok for Ron to wank all over the songs needlessly but its somehow a disappointment for Slash to shred within the context of the song.

I agree with DCK on how Bucket gave great renditions of certain old songs but Ron jumped the shark on some of the material and I don't see a problem with Slash adding his own ingredients to songs. If any guitarist to ever perform in this band has the right to take liberties with material, it is Slash...

And I would almost guarantee we'll have new music my Christmas.

One song? A possibility. Full album? Set your watch for next year.

otto wrote:

Do you guys think it's ironic to hear Slash ripping on a Paul Huge's song? smile

And by the way, do you think Slash KNOWS it is a Paul song?

Of course he knows. He's also heard the rest of the material and likely knows who was involved with each track. When he starts retooling songs he's going to want to know who is playing specific tracks within each layer that require removal. 22

Ron who?
Paul who?
Bucket what?

This is all too big now, those guys are all very small dots in the GNR rear view mirror. Like when Aerosmith replaced Joe Perry..the sheer scale of this return will mush the memories of the other guys to vapors in no time at all.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Its still Bucket/Robin solo and Slash didn't do a proper job, just like Frank plays too quick. I know I have a point to make when even YouTube comment retards says "Slash needs to practise a bit more".

If DJ had done this, people would have cut his head off and laughed for two days straight.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

as far as the screams in the middle - Axl didn't perform the super high note - from memory it's a g#6 or something insane like that. He sang that word a couple of notes lower yesterday.

Yup, the G6 is what gives me the chills. Just a great demonstration of Axl's vocal range - when he gets it right.

monkeychow wrote:

That said. It's an amazing performance anyway. Lets hope at some point later in the tour he nails it. It's worth noting that yesterdays version was well above 2014 levels.

Yes. In 2014, he was still on the rebound from that vocal low point of '11-'13. He was preserving his voice, skipping lines if it suited him. His focus was on powerful vocals instead of all vocals - a reasonable trade-off. But it's still recuperating the voice in public, which is less than ideal.

Obviously, he's been doing the work on the interim. Eversince the announcements came in, I said Axl would have to trailblaze his 2010 vocals to pull this one off - 2014 vox w/ Slash would be disappointing, because Slash would bring his A-game.

Currently, he's taken a big step in the right direction. Folks call the vocals good, period. It's going to be interesting - his foot injury and now, Axl/DC, have forced him to literally sit down and think long and hard about how his voice will manage. The man's in his mid-50's. He needs to keep it real.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The TWAT scream is one of my favorite vocal performances. He did them well in 09/10, but I think the only time he really came close to nailing it was in 06. Don't expect to hear it again.

My view would be that his voice is not as good now, but he's using it much better. He savors power for select spots and he does an easier rasp to avoid slipping into the Mickey all the time.

That being said, some of these songs he's performing better than he has in decades. Parts of Nightrain are UYI level, Coma sounds scary good at times and that Yesterdays performance was not far from vintage. When the going gets really tough though, like the TWAT scream, you can definitely feel his 50 something years. Those wails are sadly a young mans province.

Not complaining of course. He's giving his all and it's pretty damn good. Far exceeded my expectations which were pretty low given the last few years.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

I have never understood why he doesn't just sing it squeaky clean like on the studio version. Sounds better and must be easier on his voice too.

Not to mention that this would make the whole "screaming" business much easier to boot.

For the record I also think they should go back to using the clocklike intro and superior chorus found on the original leak(s).

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Was just randomly reading one of the articles where the Cult guitarist accidentally announced the gigs with GN'R. Amazing to me how stupid some people are with the Facebook comments on these articles. "GN'R should open for The Cult." Good luck with that one, moron. Guns just pulled in 130,000 people for those two gigs. Some folks just wanna bury their head in the sand.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That TWAT performance was an abortion imo.

Again... this song is just impossible in a live setting.

Axl vocally FINALLY nails it, but Slash is all over the place, Frank is playing the tempo WAY TOO FUCKING FAST (SLOW IT DOWN FRANK goddamn... roll )

I loved hearing Slash's versions of CD, Better and especially This I Love... killer... but TWAT... TWAT was a real letdown.

Board footer