You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: New Info regarding CD

BLS-Pride wrote:
madagas wrote:

The Eagles sold close to 2.5 million in a few months with little to no radio exposure.....that is the only thing comparable to the Gnr situation at present. I am not saying Gnr will do that but the brand will help push a few more units. The first single is absolutely huge.

Good point. I forgot all about the Eagles. They were a Walmart only album and I believe internet sales as well. Yeah with that first single comes the real answer as to if this record is going to sell or not.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Another source close to the GN'R camp also suggested that Chinese Democracy may gain a conventional release in late summer, with a view to it becoming "a big Christmas album".

It's worth noting in that above comment that no year is actually given - we are just assuming it's referring to 2008.  16

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Jarmo's reason for not keeping the story on HTGTH

"The information itself is nothing new, the magazine's name is just different.

Classic Rock reaches a new low in their eternal quest of publishing GN'R news...."

Make of it what you will.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:
madagas wrote:

The Eagles sold close to 2.5 million in a few months with little to no radio exposure.....that is the only thing comparable to the Gnr situation at present. I am not saying Gnr will do that but the brand will help push a few more units. The first single is absolutely huge.

Good point. I forgot all about the Eagles. They were a Walmart only album and I believe internet sales as well. Yeah with that first single comes the real answer as to if this record is going to sell or not.

GnR are not the eagles though...they have that extra generation or 2 of fans that GnR doesnt have..

70's bands are in another league than the 80's rock bands are sorry but its true

Sky Dog wrote:

whatever....:flame:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think they should market the album in the way the Eagles did. Not any exclusives, but market towards the older crowd who are more likely to buy the album. Thats where the money is. These guys are too old to become a trendy thing with today's youth, so aim at the 30's/early 50's demographic.

People overvalue the GNR name. The only thing post 96 GNR has done is Oh My God, and that didn't do anything on the music scene.

Of course we have to see an actual release to know the real value of the name with this lineup.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am not overvaluing the brand name, but it is worth something. We don't know what it's truly worth because OMG was not a full album release. Soundtrack songs generally aren't meant to be the lead single on your 16 year comeback album. I do agree with your other points James. Forget the young crowd, go for the older dollar. If he gets lucky with a hot single, then they may have a shot at the young bucks. The money is with the older crowd anyway.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

could you honestly see a 50yo dude listenign to better and a song called twat? 16

if the cd is chalked full of tunes like blues, citr and maybe even madagascar i could see attempting to target that demographic but axl seemingly has followed current trends through the years and wants to target the 20's-30's demographic...keep his fans from the 80's and bring in the younger ones as well...

IMO GNR will never be able to acheive an acceptable fanbase in an older demographic

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Jameslofton wrote:

I think they should market the album in the way the Eagles did. Not any exclusives, but market towards the older crowd who are more likely to buy the album. Thats where the money is. These guys are too old to become a trendy thing with today's youth, so aim at the 30's/early 50's demographic.

People overvalue the GNR name. The only thing post 96 GNR has done is Oh My God, and that didn't do anything on the music scene.

Of course we have to see an actual release to know the real value of the name with this lineup.

True, GH isn't a fair comparison as that is obviously all the old bands music, but at least it indicated a strong interest in GNR remains, how much of the interest will translate to CD remains to be seen.

Perhaps to GNR's advantage OMG was so badly received that it's gone completely under the radar now. Of course it came out before CD became a pop culture joke, most people know of CD and it's constant delays etc, very few know a lineup of GNR not too disimilar from the current released a song in 99 that completely tanked. I think if more people had heard OMG it turn more people off new GNR material than anything, it's a good thing nobody has heard it.

Sky Dog wrote:

Neemo, well, I'm 41 so I have an idea as to what the older demographic thinks. 22 My friends still like to rock and we are corporate dorks.

Board footer