You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 89 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck 2006..... He is on 1993 level right now.

I agree with Atari, the AC/DC thing is fun and cute but I want attention back on GNR soon. This voice needs to be on an album and this voice was MADE for Slash riffs.  Sure a couple ballads are okay but we need some in your face aggressive balls out rock with Slash and Axl.

Any album's probably going to be 90% leftover Chinese – the vocals on those tracks could date from the late 90s for all we know.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck 2006..... He is on 1993 level right now.

I agree with Atari, the AC/DC thing is fun and cute but I want attention back on GNR soon. This voice needs to be on an album and this voice was MADE for Slash riffs.  Sure a couple ballads are okay but we need some in your face aggressive balls out rock with Slash and Axl.

Any album's probably going to be 90% leftover Chinese – the vocals on those tracks could date from the late 90s for all we know.


That is fine if that is the case but add a couple new songs with this badass voice!

polluxlm
 Rep: 209 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

polluxlm wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

I agree that he isn't in 2006 or 2010 form. It's actually well beyond that.

Has not sounded this consistent since the 80s.

This. It beggars belief.

True, he didn't always care as much in later years, but there were plenty of shows where he gave us his all. He was still not close to what he's delivering in these AC/DC gigs. Was he this good in 06? No. But he certainly cared then.

We haven't heard such power in his voice since the early days.

Maybe Angus has a deal with the devil? 14

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

tejastech08 wrote:

The fact he quit smoking in the mid-90's must play a role. He has to try harder for the rasp when he isn't smoking.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

tejastech08 wrote:
Lomax wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I don't think he gave a shit, honestly.

I agree with this. But not in a negative way.

I think he just liked to experiment and make use of all his different voices, keep them all trained in.


Also, another possibility could be the oxygen tent.

Axl supposedly had an oxygen tent at all guns shows since at least 2006.

There's a behind the scene video which shows his oxygen tank.

Being in the throne he can't get near his oxygen and I think that has really helped his voice.

Maybe Mother Goose was slipping some helium into the old O2 supply to liven things up a bit...

He was using oxygen during the UYI Tour and was raspier than ever. It's all about the smoking in my opinion. He quit after UYI Tour and it showed up in his voice when he returned from Howard Hughes reclusive time period.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

CSS 2.0 wrote:

The lack of smoking definitely played a part but I believe that the main reason for the change in his voice is because of the fact that he basically stopped singing altogether for a few years and thus lost it without knowing how to get it back.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

Smoking Guns wrote:

Smoking may help the rasp but I think he tried to sing with his chest voice and push the air vs the head/throat voice he uses for all his voices including falsetto. I can sing with rasp and I have never smoked a day in my life. But I can't really sing at all. But can add rasp lol. What he is doing is beyond impressive.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

tejastech08 wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

The lack of smoking definitely played a part but I believe that the main reason for the change in his voice is because of the fact that he basically stopped singing altogether for a few years and thus lost it without knowing how to get it back.

Yes, I think lack of smoking and the Howard Hughes reclusive period of no performances (1994-2000) combined to kill what we knew as the classic Axl voice. When he returned in early 2000's, I bet he was pretty shocked at how different his voice was too.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think he was shocked. I think he tried to sing higher and cleaner, like the outro of Rocket Queen. He lost that ability for a while but on the 99 Live Era vocals he nailed it in studio. That is one of his best vocals ever recorded.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't think he was shocked. I think he tried to sing higher and cleaner, like the outro of Rocket Queen. He lost that ability for a while but on the 99 Live Era vocals he nailed it in studio. That is one of his best vocals ever recorded.

I will have to check that out. Pretty hard to beat the original Appetite ending of Rocket Queen (his greatest moment IMHO).

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB