You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: The Set-List

buzzsaw wrote:

I've been to 4 shows this year with essentially the same set list and I have no complaints. Sure, there's things I would love to see, but I can't complain about the shows I've gotten to see. Slash and Duff are back. Axl sounds great. Frank has laid off the speed. It's not perfect, but it's a gazillion times better than what we had.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

You have no where to go if you do WTTJ first. ISE cuts in right away and kicks things off. WTTJ lets you back off and then crank it up again. There's a reason.

That reason is Axl. WTTJ became a staple opener on 01/01/01 and stayed that way throughout the Robin era. CD was made priority only after the album drop. In between, even on the now-legendary '06-07 season, it was an AFD show. IRS and Better became regulars, but the UYI deep cuts were non-existent. It had to do with Axl's self-admitted 'emotional problems' with the back catalogue and the desire to promote an unreleased album. The only thing they had to fall back on was AFD, or so they thought.

Having Slash and Duff back has reinstated him with a whole of self-assuredness. They can now do something like Coma, which is bordering on obscure and represents a certain musical deep-end for Guns during the UYI-era. And he's fine with picking that thread up again, because the current lineup validates the inclusion. Axl has less to prove right now as his main men have old-school credentials.

What?
WTTJ was commonly NOT the opening song for GNR. It wasn't until Axl's shows with the NuGNR band. It's So Easy was the most common opener as far as I can tell. When you start all the way at '11' there's nowhere for you to go. It makes sense to not have it be the first song...just like it wasn't at most shows in the 80's or 90's.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

You have no where to go if you do WTTJ first. ISE cuts in right away and kicks things off. WTTJ lets you back off and then crank it up again. There's a reason.

That reason is Axl. WTTJ became a staple opener on 01/01/01 and stayed that way throughout the Robin era. CD was made priority only after the album drop.

What?
WTTJ was commonly NOT the opening song for GNR. It wasn't until Axl's shows with the NuGNR band. It's So Easy was the most common opener as far as I can tell.

I'm lost, aren't you guys saying the same thing?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I'm tempted to shell out cash on a Toronto show.

But I am waiting on a change in the set. I don't hate this set list but yeah.

Will have to know if the gf is getting back together with me first.

Thank you 3 year relationship ending after my Detroit trip on the 24th, I don't love you anymore, marvellous I say!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
TheMole wrote:

I'm lost, aren't you guys saying the same thing?

We are. 16

In plain,

'86-'93: Lacking a regular opener.
'01-'07: WTTJ (ISE-MrB)
'09-'14: CD (WTTJ-ISE-MrB)

I remember one 2014 show with Duff opened with YCBM and it caught people by storm.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

I think it's the fact that when they were rehearsing for the tour, the word was that they were practicing their entire catalog (yeah, I know)...so it kinda made it seem like there would be more variety from night to night.  Obviously there are "must play" tracks...which for most fans would be 10 songs from Appetite alone probably...and then November Rain, KOHD, and YCBM at a minimum from UYI.  I do think it's great they're doing Coma...DTJ isn't a fav, but it's a deep track which is cool.  I know I'd like to see My Michelle and Think About You in there.  But I've also never seen GN'R live...since there hasn't really been a GN'R since '93...just the Axl Rose Band (just opinion). 

Again...it's just opinions...no one is losing sleep over this, but I'd like to see an encore go:

Civil War
KOHD
Paradise City

(with Don't Cry and Patience both added earlier in the set)

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

easy solution: fewer covers, jams and solos and they could work in 4 to 6 great GNR tunes.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

bigbri wrote:

easy solution: fewer covers, jams and solos and they could work in 4 to 6 great GNR tunes.

This isn't 2010, they're not breaking out five-minute solo slots for Bumble, Fortus, Dizzy, Tommy and DJ. There's a (perfectly reasonable) solo spot for Duff, Slash's iconic Godfather solo and a Fortus/Slash duet. They've massively trimmed back the number of solo spots – probably because they don't feel the need to use them to introduce audiences to the band, since everyone knows who they are now.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

There are a lot of covers in this set list, but G&R really don't have a huge catalog of songs compared to other bands of comparable age. The set list is a bit of a bore; I remember yawning during the AFD songs in 2006. Can't imagine how I would feel now.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

Maybe...but they basically have 4 full albums of material to choose from, plus a covers album.  Appetite, Lies, UYI 1, UYI 2, TSI...and not even including CD. 

25 songs...10 from Appetite, 2 from Lies, 8 from the Illusion albums, 2 from CD, Duff does a cover from TSI and Slash does the Godfather solo. But this is coming from someone who has never seen them live.

Board footer