You are not logged in. Please register or login.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

Re: The Set-List

chad4bama wrote:

I wonder if they're going to keep the same set-list all the way through the tour...I really thought they'd mix it up more...switch out 2-3 songs as they go.  As it is, it looks like they're rotating Don't Cry and Patience in the encore...which makes no sense to me.  Both should be played over any cover...esp in the encore.  Would like to see them drop a couple of covers that aren't KOHD and maybe one of the CD tracks and add in Think About You, Locomotive, and Patience.  It's crazy to not do Patience every show...it's probably their 3rd or 4th biggest hit chart wise maybe.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Looking at some random '92 setlists, they are extremely similar to what we've got now. Back in the day, NR was preceded by It's Alright (a Black Sabbath cover) and Patience was a regular with a Wild Horses intro. Duff's TSI song of choice was Attitude by The Misfits; he now does the Johnny Thunders cover. Of the UYI deep cuts, they did Bad Obsession, with Teddy ZigZag on harmonica.

Now, Coma is the deep cut (and props to that, it's a toughie). The most notable inclusions are the three new-era songs, CD, TIL and Better. Other than that, the bulk of the setlist is comprised of their '87-'91 heyday, to the point wherein Slash even resurrected his Godfather solo. They'd need new original material to make things interesting again, but meanwhile, they're doing the hits alongside whoppers like Estranged and Civil War.

I'd love to hear Locomotive or Breakdown, but we'll see.

johndivney wrote:

Are they still doin the Layla coda to NR? That's pretty sweet.

Love it. Greatest British rock band of all time.

I used to bitch like fuck about the setlists but I exhausted myself. It's a drag when you're going to multiple shows on the tour & you get the same set/same show just in a different building. Detracts from the whole thing. & don't give me about how easy it is for armchair fans reading sets online. Used to have my piss/bar breaks timed to coincide with the blues. Or rather streets of dreams, it was a better song when it was the blues & I would hung around for it..

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

They've done 11 shows and we're already bitching about the setlist? FFS. That's not even long enough to establish the setlist, never mind vary it.

Hardcore fans crying over the fact that Locomotive or Shadow of Your Love or Think About You aren't in the setlist: they're playing fucking Coma at every show. Axl and Slash are playing Coma. At. Every. Show. Picture going back in time to 2014 and telling your earlier self that. Would they have believed you?

What will it take to make you happy? The band playing nothing but deep cuts in your living room?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah I was a huge set list whiner during the CD years but don't have any complaints in 2016. They basically have two set lists rotating and like 11day pointed out, its early in the tour and it could evolve over time. I do agree with fans who think The Seeker should be dropped for a GNR song, but when the set list contains killer deep cuts like DTJ, Coma, etc. its really hard to fault them for including that one.

We'll likely see the rotation of more songs in the future but like apex pointed out, the only thing truly missing is a new song or two which I assume will happen on a future tour.

johndivney wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

They've done 11 shows and we're already bitching about the setlist? FFS. That's not even long enough to establish the setlist, never mind vary it.

But it's not just 11 shows. As Apex pointed out its p much the same set as 20 years ago! 24 years ago, sorry.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The bulk of the set list is fantastic. What seems to piss everyone the fuck off that horrible fucking song called "The Seeker". What a pussy song to play during a fucking encore. That song is getting played over DC or Patience every night. I would rather hear Don't Damn Me, Slither, and AC/DC tune, a Stones Song (Sympathy), Pretty tied up, Dust N Bones, etc over that stupid fucking seeker.

Okay, got that off my chest. I feel better now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah if they ever rotate that out with something else, I'd prefer UYI/TSI deep cuts over adding DC or Patience each night.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

GN'R fans are spoiled by the 1991 tours. Few big bands rotate their set lists all that much.

Don't like the covers myself, but I guess they're there for Axl to relax his voice a bit. Playing Coma every night more than makes up for it though. It's a good, solid set. Nothing more, nothing less.

Really hope they pull out Locomotive at some point though.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

GN'R fans are spoiled by the 1991 tours. Few big bands rotate their set lists all that much.

Just cause other big acts do it doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Don't blame us for holding Guns to a higher standard. They set the standard and aren't living up to it.

Plenty of big bands rotate their set, Pearl Jam immediately spring to mind.

It lessens the experience for everyone involved. Even if the casuals don't realise it, they're still getting fed a facsimile rather than something unique.

They just don't have the skill or balls to pull off different songs. Axl anyway, that much is obvious.

Board footer