You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: WTTJ: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses(2006)

James wrote:

I'd prefer the track list be in chronological order...disc one from LLAS to CW(Adler's departure).....disc two from UYI-CD. Having said that, you'd have major difficulties cherry picking and selecting songs from four albums worth of killer material on that second disc while the first one would contain way too many deep cuts from AFD. Maybe not the way to go.

It wont be easy no matter how this cookie crumbles.

Why is 14 Years on that GH? Hell when Izzy made an appearance in 2014 that song was performed. Dust N Bones is the superior track of the two and I think many would agree.

Great job on that wagzilla.

Rex is right....a box set is needed at some point.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

A box set would have to incorporate Chinese Democracy though, and it's going to be a while before they fully acknowledge the existence of that era. With Slash and Duff back in the band, the embargo on releasing Slash/Duff material is lifted. It made sense at the time, you don't want to go promoting the beloved old incarnation of the band when you're trying to establish a band with Buckethead or DJ Ashba as Guns N' Roses.

But the reverse is true now; they don't really want to go reminding people of the wilderness years. And why bother? They've got enough 80s and 90s concert material to keep holiday releases ticking over for the next decade (rather like Queen's doing with its archive of live material). We'll be seeing Ritz '88 and the making of Use Your Illusion long before we see a comprehensive Chinese Democracy box set. Which is a shame, because it's pretty much the holy grail of GN'R vault material, for me.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A box set would have to incorporate Chinese Democracy though, and it's going to be a while before they fully acknowledge the existence of that era. With Slash and Duff back in the band, the embargo on releasing Slash/Duff material is lifted. It made sense at the time, you don't want to go promoting the beloved old incarnation of the band when you're trying to establish a band with Buckethead or DJ Ashba as Guns N' Roses.

But the reverse is true now; they don't really want to go reminding people of the wilderness years. And why bother? They've got enough 80s and 90s concert material to keep holiday releases ticking over for the next decade (rather like Queen's doing with its archive of live material). We'll be seeing Ritz '88 and the making of Use Your Illusion long before we see a comprehensive Chinese Democracy box set. Which is a shame, because it's pretty much the holy grail of GN'R vault material, for me.

If they weren't going to acknowledge the CD era, they wouldn't be playing songs from it every night. I don't think it's an issue.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

If I were doing a Best Of, I'd go back to the concept of AFD: the first CD is "Guns", all the aggressive tracks, the second one is "Roses" – all the relationship/love song stuff.

I do like that idea.

Overall tho, in todays lackluster cd sales market, I don't see a GnR GH album being worth all that much. Do GH's get released much anymore?  Outside of a band like the Killers or something fulfilling their 4 album deal & schlepping out a GH.

Demos & unreleased tracks would be a farrr better seller. This is GnR tho, who knows what & when the next thing comes out.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I really doubt that demos and new tracks will outsell a GH...but I could be wrong

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

A GH could be used to finish off commitments to the label allowing Axl to launch his own record company for future releases.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Give it to us Soundgarden style......unload a 2 disc compilation to reintroduce themselves to the world, CD II the next year, then start delivering the box sets of demos and other goodies.

Board footer