You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders. Pretending this is more than an extreme outlier isn’t beneficial.

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders..... of which the U.S. comes 2nd with the highest rates of violent gun deaths in North Africa and The Middle East. With a population of roughly 5% of the worlds population the U.S. holds 32% of global mass shootings.

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective.

Ah yes indeed, perspective.

Nothing to see here, move along.

And as a non-American, I don't expect you to understand that we value the constitution and don't change laws at the drop of a hat.  You want to imply I encourage or am happy with our firearm fatalities.  I'm not.  I just recognize that the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to own a firearm is an individual right (Heller) and that this right extends to handguns (Chicago).  So short of changing the constitution, which if you know anything about our laws, is damn near impossible, the majority of deaths in this country related to handguns aren't going to be impacted by a change of law.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Some interesting stats. There are over 5 million AR15's owned in the US.

Out of all murders committed (49% of all homicides are committed by handguns) rifles are used even less than body parts, blunt instruments or knives to commit murder. Those include .22 rifles, not just AR15.

Knives……….1,704

Hands and feet….817

Blunt trauma……540

Shotguns……….373

Rifles…………358

Over 8,000 gun deaths, 350 were rifles, even less for AR15's.

*These are 2011 numbers. Here's a pretty comprehensive site: http://knowledgeglue.com/just-how-many- … out-there/

Yes but hands and feet and shit can’t create the mass carnage of the AR15. These numbers are 7 years old. Doesn’t account for Vegas, Pulse, Texas, this school, Sandy Hook, Dallas, etc.

But they kill more people...

Okay. Those are mainly one on one crimes that happen in any society.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders. Pretending this is more than an extreme outlier isn’t beneficial.

I honestly think the first thing to do is put these shootings in perspective. Yes, they get huge publicity, yes they’re horrible, but they’re a fraction of 1% of gun murders..... of which the U.S. comes 2nd with the highest rates of violent gun deaths in North Africa and The Middle East. With a population of roughly 5% of the worlds population the U.S. holds 32% of global mass shootings.

And as a non-American, I don't expect you to understand that we value the constitution and don't change laws at the drop of a hat.  You want to imply I encourage or am happy with our firearm fatalities.  I'm not.  I just recognize that the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to own a firearm is an individual right (Heller) and that this right extends to handguns (Chicago).  So short of changing the constitution, which if you know anything about our laws, is damn near impossible, the majority of deaths in this country related to handguns aren't going to be impacted by a change of law.

Raising the age would help. Right now we are searching for things that could help reduce. We know there will always be cases where guns will kill people. The goal is to reduce that. The age hike would I think

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes but hands and feet and shit can’t create the mass carnage of the AR15. These numbers are 7 years old. Doesn’t account for Vegas, Pulse, Texas, this school, Sandy Hook, Dallas, etc.

Right, the UK and Australia have more violent assaults and property crimes than the US too.  You should read the work of John Lott.  You can move violence around, but you can't really just eliminate it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Did you not look at that site? Deaths by AR15'S have dropped every year. That was from 2016. That means the numbers are even lower than what I posted.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If your kid was killed yesterday and you were pissed I would just tell you that you are being emotional and we have a constitution and no law could stop the death of your kid. And you would accept that and feel good again.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Is that not a problem though? Constitutions can be and should be changed to stay relevant with the passing of time. It is not an immovable object it just needs the will of the people to put pressure on their states/representatives to achieve such a thing.

The question is how big will the bodycount be before you realize?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If we raised the age to 21 he couldn't have gotten the gun. 

That military base shooter also had psych problems and should have been on a list that prevented him from buying a gun. His name was never placed on the no buy list.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Right, the UK and Australia have more violent assaults and property crimes than the US too.  You should read the work of John Lott.  You can move violence around, but you can't really just eliminate it.

I own 3 guns.

I am responsible and not a fuggin idiot.

I don’t want 18 years olds toting AR-15’s anymore or other semi auto rifles that are very similar to an AR like an SKS or semi Auto AK etc. Fuck I don’t want them carrying any gun unless supervised by a licensed adult.

As far as ID’s stats, 500+ were shot in Vegas. You are talking deaths. If you include the number of people shot that lived it will really go up. Remember that those shot are victims too.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

If we raised the age to 21 he couldn't have gotten the gun. 

That military base shooter also had psych problems and should have been on a list that prevented him from buying a gun. His name was never placed on the no buy list.

Yes. I think we agree. I respect gun rights but acknowledge people in HS are typically too immature to handle a gun.

Board footer