You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Slash back in the studio

esoterica wrote:

AC/DC is not a torturous artist band.

Listen, Axl, this song about is shagging birds. I need lyrics by Friday. Oy, brilliant. Never would've come up with that bit about the cat and the canary. Let's record. Ok, good take fellas, now to mix.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Angus wrote the last Ac/Dc record including the lyrics.

I see this as a positive for Axl, he can contribute something if he has a Eureka moment but he will not be expected to come up with lyrics for 12 guitar based songs off the cuff.

I could imagine that Axl/Dc would be given priority for the next project.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Angus has written a lot of AC/DC albums alone in the Johnson era. This crossed my mind too, maybe Axl just wants to sing and not have any pressure with a new album, unlike one with GNR. No one is gonna dis an AC/DC record, ever and they'll never release a bad one. Not only that, but Axl would be able to write AC/DC lyrics if he wanted easily, and without overthinking it if he did want to contribute. If he didn't it's Angus' ball to drop.

This is why to me, AXL/DC is as interesting, if not more than a GNR reunion for many reasons. Most importantly, we WILL have Axl singing on a kick ass rock record if he joins AC/DC, you could literally bet the farm on it. A guaranteed album from a dude who could only muster one in quarter century is a prospect I'm willing to accept sacrificing a potential new GNR one.

The more, I think about it, it won't even interfere with a GNR record because if Axl has too much up his sleeve in the vault and with ANGUS YOUNG also writing a record with him/for him, he's got all the aces in the hole he needs if he actually, finally, releases something.

I'm of the mindset Angus knew damn well he wanted Axl in his band. The finish of that tour was just a way for him to find out if people will pay to see them as a duo in stadiums. Angus is smart, he knew that was a test if he should hang 'em up, or keep on truckin'.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I`m a casual AC/DC fan at best, my fandom extends strictly to Bon Scott era, not utilising Axl to write songs would be a dumb move from Angus nor do I think Axl would be on board if all he had to do is show up and lay down his vocals.

Axl will interject quality, charisma and personality Bon used to bring into AC/DC. Things that had been missing since Bon`s demise. I don`t think Angus will pass on it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Ragnar wrote:

I`m a casual AC/DC fan at best, my fandom extends strictly to Bon Scott era, not utilising Axl to write songs would be a dumb move from Angus nor do I think Axl would be on board if all he had to do is show up and lay down his vocals.

Axl will interject quality, charisma and personality Bon used to bring into AC/DC. Things that had been missing since Bon`s demise. I don`t think Angus will pass on it.

He might if it means he'll be twiddling his thumbs for a decade while Axl writes some lyrics. Angus is short on time, if he wants to go round again, and it must be a want rather than a need at this stage, then a new album is going to have to be turned round relatively quickly. Not something projects involving Axl are usually associated with.

The lack of pressure to just turn up and lay down pre written vocals on 12 tracks might be appealing to Axl. The removal of responsibility for every note, melody and lyric might be a welcome change for him.

johndivney wrote:

Just shut up & sing.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The one advantage of releasing an Axl/DC album first is that it'd take some of the pressure off; it'd show that he's as productive in the studio as he's been over the past year or so in a live setting, without having to deal with the pressure of putting out The First GN'R Record In 20-odd Years With Slash. Because the expectations around that are going to be enormous – every ballad has to be as good as or better than November Rain, ever rocker has to equal or better Jungle for it to qualify as a success.

He can zip into the studio, belt out 10 Angus-penned tracks, and suddenly there's a studio album with his voice on it in circulation (a studio album also serves to legitimise Axl/DC in the public mindset – instead of being a fill-in singer on tour he has banked actual studio time and recorded original songs as part of the band).

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Because the expectations around that are going to be enormous – every ballad has to be as good as or better than November Rain, ever rocker has to equal or better Jungle for it to qualify as a success.).

I think if it's half as good as those songs, most reasonable people will be perfectly happy with it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the older Axl gets the less expectations there are.

Once artists are in mid 50s, then 60s and 70s the expectation is always "well, they aren't young anymore but this doesn't entirely suck". Think of records by Aerosmith and Ac/Dc and similar acts. There's always the reviewers who shit pan it going on about how this isn't the 70s and 80s and the last 5 records sucked, then there's the reviewers who will call it a return to form.

Importantly, I just don't think anyone cares anymore, Axl's history is too big to fail now. Like all you have to do is look at the CD era. In 30 years or so he put out one record in a mostly different genre with a different band, and yet he's still welcomed with loving open arms back into the mainstream press for the reunion tour. No one cares -they just love old GNR. They could do a new record and it could suck - and the pundits will come out of the woodwork and be like "well, it's been shit since Izzy walked" or it could be genius and they'll write about how Axl has always been the last of the rock gods. But it doesn't really matter cos the pop crowed will ignore it and the rock crowed will go out and listen to it whatever happens. So like what is the real pressure these days? No one really expects a guy in his 50s is going to drop AFD2 now.

As for Axl/Dc - Axl was pretty happy to just record without writing for Sebastian on Angel Down. Although I get the impression Bon Scott is close to his heart so he'd be keen to do it well - I can imagine it might be easier to not have to write a full album of pre-prepared riffs.

For the record, Brian before his current hearing issues, was one of the top front men of all time. It's such an urban legend that Ac/Dc was only good with Bon, brian was damn well killer.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

1/2 of CD was pretty well reviewed despite the flaws.

If it's good as that, GNR could start being a little more of a fashionable band again.

We'll see

Board footer