You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: AFD_30

monkeychow wrote:

It only frustrates me so much because of what could be.

Imagine Axl did his Ac/Dc scream voice over some Slash riffs on a new song. Would be so amazing.

It looks awesome:

20228892_1492162700840044_1749363883562458320_n.jpg?oh=2952e95189c4d3a2e84d09bffc4cb886&oe=5A00B404

But then they serve up Seeker as the special show for #afd30 18

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Even the media was into the concept that something big was going to go down:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/guns-n-ro … struction/

big_smile

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

zombux wrote:

to me it seems that Fortus is the only guy onstage who always keeps his huge grin. the others seem to be hardly interested at all and bored as hell. this is becoming more and more embarassing (and I thought the 2012-14 stint was the rock bottom... it wasn't).

We can discuss who does or doesn't look interested but to claim this is somehow worse or more embarrassing than 12-14 or even 02 is laughable.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

monkeychow wrote:

Even the media was into the concept that something big was going to go down:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/guns-n-ro … struction/

big_smile

16 Teasing a show at the Apollo? No shit.

zelfitz
 Rep: 1 

zelfitz wrote:

I will give this to them- for a band that gives very little to their fans, they have been shockingly successful.

They start this tour, they don't announce the line up, they don't do any interviews, they leave out 2 of the classic members, they waste another opportunity to celebrate their history with their fans, they charge absolutely ridiculous prices for tickets, they don't make new music, they don't even bother to improve their fan club- and it doesn't matter. People pay up. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

People in those stadiums care very little for the music at all. They just want to see an "event." I think they could wheel out Slash and Axl and play circus music (or the SCOM riff) and people would pay to see it. Weird.

I know they are too good for audience interaction, but no mention of Appetite at all? "Hey, this album means a lot to us, we know it means a lot to you, thanks for the support?" They couldn't throw us a bone and play Anything Goes? One tiny special thing? #appetite30?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Ok maybe not months but for weeks they promoted the shit out of the radio channel...and they keep going on about #afd30 and whatever....all so they can ignore the 30th of it?

It's just bizzare even for them.

Who promoted the shit out of the channel? The big 3 haven't promoted anything since reforming. Duff did a 1 hour radio show on the channel, and he and Slash recorded answers to questions they would play at various points in between songs. I'm not even sure Axl knows SiriusXM has a GNR channel at this point. And the AFD30 billboards and such are acknowledging a landmark album, but at no point was last nights show officially labeled as a celebration of that album. I understand people making that assumption, but I just don't expect any surprises from this band anymore and since we didn't hear any concrete info we got what I expected. I hate to say I tol you so, but I don't understand why people keep expecting the unexpected/something different. You summed it up in a previous post. It is what it is at this point. This is what we're getting until told/shown otherwise. So take it or leave it. I'm choosing to take it. Am I as excited about the current state of the band as I was a year ago? Absolutely not. But I don't see any reason to get upset at the things they're doing. You remember all the silent years? That was upsetting. This, is not that. That's for sure.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Melissa is the best singer in this band now, and it's not even close.

I watched on periscope, and there's no band interaction at all. Frank sucks; Melissa looks silly pounding keys on songs that clearly have none; Duff looks bored as hell; Slash just looks like he's doing what people want him to do, nothing spontaneous; Axl is going through a script and is getting worse vocally; Fortus is invisible.

And they don't sound good enough to look like that. If they were playing epic shows, maybe. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred bucks to see it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck Axl, if Slash was in charge this would be the most amazing shit

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Too funny.

Same shit different day and you guys are surprised.

bigbri wrote:

And they don't sound good enough to look like that. If they were playing epic shows, maybe. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred bucks to see it.

I haven't listened to any NITL soundboards besides this one, Vegas, and Coachella so this comment remains prone to revision but people were saying that they sounded incredible then when they clearly didn't. The endorphin rush of seeing Axl and Slash together blinds them.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Just heard part of the encore, and i cannot believe how terrible Axl sounded on Jungle in particular. Was he jumping on a trampoline while singing? He could hardly get 2 syllables together.

Board footer