You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Another thing that I"ll add...Kurt killing himself like he did/how he did made people cling to him even more. It put him into legendary status with a resume of just a few years.

I dunno, I think he'd already changed the culture by that point. To some extent, yes, but I think he wasn't gonna be forgotten or a 1 hit wonder like Jesus Jones or EMF. If anything Nirvana breaks up late 90s, Kurt does minimal solo stuff, sorta more like Beck, but Nirvana stays a top band of the 90s.

IMHO his Unplugged performance made him legendary status.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Just saw these posts about surprise at Nirvana’s success. James you mentioned We Die Young, Outshined, and Teen Spirit. Know why people gravitated to Teen Spirit?

The video. Plain and simple. Just a relatable video about high school malaise at the peak of MTV’s relevance.

You're right.

I just watched it again. Yikes....pure nostalgia fuel.


Another thing that I"ll add...Kurt killing himself like he did/how he did made people cling to him even more. It put him into legendary status with a resume of just a few years.

I remember one of Kim Thayil's interviews back then where he talks about this. The first thing that entered his head when he got the news...

It's over.

He was right. When that shotgun blew Kurt's brains out it also killed grunge dead in its tracks. Superunknown was the last iconic grunge album. After that the bands just coasted on the remaining fumes.


I dunno, I think he'd already changed the culture by that point.

Indeed he did....but it was a mere snapshot in time.

91-93.

He died in 94 but late 91-mid 93 is everything.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

91-93.

He died in 94 but late 91-mid 93 is everything.

Really it was only 92-93, as Teen Spirit didn't really gain traction till late 91 & not popular till around Christmas time.

Chris Cornell got a pretty decent nod at the Grammys last night. During the montage of those who've passed BHS was played with his photo.I thought a few years ago they didn't show someone (Weiland?) due to dying from drugs not fitting into their agenda.

Some of the performances were brutal. I was glancing onto Twitter & people were #Grammys about how great everyone was. I was like WTF is this???

Too much politics shoved into peoples throats too. I was way over the top.

EDIT : Late 91. I had a typo saying Teen spirit hit in late '92' by mistake.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 329 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

Smoking Guns wrote:

They shit on Weiland for sure.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 11 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

ClaudeF wrote:

All four of the major Washington bands have lost a lead singer, even Pearl Jam when you consider that Andrew Wood's death ended Mother Love Bone but gave birth to Temple of the Dog and PJ. AIC persists but it's not the same. I live within driving distance of Seattle, and the local rumors about Layne's last days, and the condition in which he was found, just crushed me.

I was lucky enough to see Soundgarden's first arena show, back at the Bumbershoot music festival in 1990. It was like watching a new king take the throne. The band had one t-shirt for sale that night, the one with Kim's grinning, happy face on the front and "TOTAL FUCKING GODHEAD" on the back. Now the memory just makes me sad.

That Kurt's death killed the local scene is absolutely true. Yes, successful new bands and hit songs have come out of this area since then, but when he died the glue that bound it all together seemed to disappear. What had been a community felt more like a bunch of independent entities without a unifying force.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

PaSnow wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

That Kurt's death killed the local scene is absolutely true. Yes, successful new bands and hit songs have come out of this area since then, but when he died the glue that bound it all together seemed to disappear.

I dunno, don't you think the scene was already tapped out by 94?  Weren't record execs trying too hard to tap into the 'Seattle scene' and going after bands like Candlebox by then. I remember a few good bands or former bands from Seattle (Supergrass?, The Fastbacks, Kathleen Hanna), but I'm not sure I would say Kurt dying hurt alot of up & comers from Seattle. Maybe, I wasn't there, but imho it was getting pretty dry by then. Also I'm not sure MTV/Radio wanted to keep only putting out Seattle music anymore by then. Alternative Radio was turning into Green Day, 3rd Eye Blind, Matchbox 20 etc.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

All four of the major Washington bands have lost a lead singer, even Pearl Jam when you consider that Andrew Wood's death ended Mother Love Bone

That album deserved so much more attention than it got.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

James wrote:

Vicki Cornell is suing Soundgarden and there's going to be a huge fight over how to handle the completion of a final SG album...and who gets royalties.

She better not prevent us from getting it.

Song titles/credits have surfaced....

Road Less Travelled (Cornell/Cameron) - 4:10

Orphans (Cornell/Cameron) - 3:18

At Ophians Door (Cornell/Cameron)- 5:05

Cancer (Cornell) - 4:00

Stone Age Mind (Cornell)- 4:22

Ahead of the Dog (Cornell/Thayil) - 3:47

Mermas (Cornell/Shepherd) - 4:32

Yeah....that's an EP. It'll have to be padded out with some of those still unreleased demos like Summation, Ocean Front,etc.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

wasted wrote:

Give her the money yo

jimmythegent
 Rep: 29 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

Vicki Cornell is suing Soundgarden and there's going to be a huge fight over how to handle the completion of a final SG album...and who gets royalties.

She better not prevent us from getting it.

Song titles/credits have surfaced....

Road Less Travelled (Cornell/Cameron) - 4:10

Orphans (Cornell/Cameron) - 3:18

At Ophians Door (Cornell/Cameron)- 5:05

Cancer (Cornell) - 4:00

Stone Age Mind (Cornell)- 4:22

Ahead of the Dog (Cornell/Thayil) - 3:47

Mermas (Cornell/Shepherd) - 4:32

Yeah....that's an EP. It'll have to be padded out with some of those still unreleased demos like Summation, Ocean Front,etc.

Interesting - where did this come from?

In terms of what Thayil said a few months back, she is withholding the individual vocal tracks or session files that mean they could complete and flesh them out, While they might have demo's of complete songs as a whole, in terms of fleshing them out around completed vocals - they'd need those session files.

She really hasn't endeared herself any to SG fans thats for sure...

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB