You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Facebook Announcement

Smoking Guns wrote:

James SG is a real band. This is not. This is the Axl Rose show featuring 2 past members of Guns N Roses.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

James SG is a real band. This is not. This is the Axl Rose show featuring 2 past members of Guns N Roses.

When the GNR reunion started, it appeared that they were following the Soundgarden blueprint. Everything was pretty much identical...

the surprise news, suprise dates, the big festival, etc. Kim brought up an interesting point in one of the interviews....the general public had to be reintroduced to the band as it had been so long. Its why they toured for so long and the first releases were the 2 disc GH and live album. They saved the hardcore fan wet dream box set for a few years later(after King Animal's release).

As we all know(and you guys liked to remind me), GNR were a much bigger band. The process is going to be different(as it clearly is). They are so popular now that any release isn't going to help sell more tickets, which is the purpose of new material in this era.

While SG did release material at this point, it was two years into the reunion when we got King Animal.

I just don't think we can write GNR off just yet as a "nostalgia band" that is doing nothing but a "cash grab".

Axl is also more popular than he's been since I was a teenager. He has the world back on his side again. He appears to be enjoying it. I highly doubt all we are going to see from them is just off and on touring like we did in the CD era. Fans are going to get something.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Do Pearl Jam fans bitch to this day about Dave Krusen? Or Dave Abrusessze? Is the only proper way for them to tour with Krusen to play the Ten tracks and Abru to play Vs. and Vitalogy?

Pretty iconic albums there for a huge band, but I gather their fanbase is relatively content. The issue with this band is they have given us 16 studio tracks since 1994. 23 fucking years.

Is Pearl Jam on a reunion tour? Or is that GNR?  Horrible comparison. PJ has been consistent as fuck.

The only two that matter is Slash and Axl except for the smallest online group. This has been an incredibly successful tour. Adler is a nightmare, Izzy is a flake. Matt doesn't matter.

This band has never been anything close to what we ever wanted them to be, 2002 for me, so they're consistent in that regard. Please, give it rest, man. I lived through the DJ and Bumble era, this is a dream.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

There was no reason to expect new music or the AFD5 pipe dream.

The question becomes what happens once 2017 is over? Another international tour, extended band hiatus, or new album recording?

I don't think it happens but there's still the possibility a new single is played / released at Rock In Rio or later in the year.

I also don't see AFD getting a deluxe release but that could happen too.

This is a business with giant corporate backing though. Expect everything to be heavily promoted in micro-segments. You're not getting a 6-9-12 month gestation period before a new album / new website / whatever.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think new music could be a song on a soundtrack or new GH at this point. The music is there but Axl has never really seemed to care about it much. MSL was certain Slash and Duff had already laid down parts on existing songs, specifically Atlas. I'll take anything at this point.

Deftones + GNR sounds all kinds of awesome.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

There was no reason to expect new music or the AFD5 pipe dream.

The question becomes what happens once 2017 is over? Another international tour, extended band hiatus, or new album recording?

I don't think it happens but there's still the possibility a new single is played / released at Rock In Rio or later in the year.

I also don't see AFD getting a deluxe release but that could happen too.

This is a business with giant corporate backing though. Expect everything to be heavily promoted in micro-segments. You're not getting a 6-9-12 month gestation period before a new album / new website / whatever.

I agree with ID that if a new song materializes, it will surface on a soundtrack to some blockbuster movie. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already had offers.  SG was offered The Avengers and Cornell whipped up a song for it. Would love to see GNR's official comeback song be associated with something massive.

Imagine GNR doing a video like this....

Why don't you think AFD will get the deluxe treatment? Out of all possible scenarios, that one is at the top of the list.

If the touring machine is going to continue, it will eventually need things to grease its wheels...meaning a new song, deluxe editions, etc. It simply doesn't need it now.

Lets say Axl decides to do round 2 of Axl/DC in 2018. That is going to need a new song/album to get it on the launch pad.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Pretty happy to get Live opening for my show.  Pretty disappointed not to have any new shows within driving distance.  Not at all surprised it was just more tour dates, though more than that would have been great.  I can't believe after all these years that anyone is surprised when it's the least exciting announcement.  It almost always is, so just expect that and go nuts if it's more.

misterID

misterID wrote:

ZZ Top would be a great show also.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Maybe they can finish a song that went into the vault before the breakup in 96.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Come on you negative mothertruckers...

Sure they missed releasing a 20th Anniversary AFD Edition, and it seems will also miss a 30th Anniversary Box Set.

Sure it's nearly 10 years since Chinese Democracy, which was released 15 years after a cover album.

The biggest opportunity is yet to come.

In around 16 months time it will be the 20th Anniversary of Silkworms.

I think this may be the moment for the band - a single release with a B side for fans of the original Pitman version before Melissa.

No more listening to 20 second grabs or bootlegs of bootlegs.

Silkworms is at hand in just 16 more short months.

#silkworms20

Board footer