You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Facebook Announcement

James wrote:

Count me in with wanting to hear IRS. I'd love to see what Slash would do for that solo.

I don't really understand all the hate he's getting for BHS. Did it sound like Cornell in his prime? No....but it wasn't the Bridge School benefit either.  He was paying tribute to one of his favorite singers....and its the first time he's performed a cover in this situation. Didn't do it for prince...Lemmy...etc.

Fans have wanted set list variety. They played Black Hole Sun!! The reasons for doing it suck of course(death) but no one in a million years could've predicted that they would play that song.

I do agree they're playing at too fast a tempo.

I always thought the complaints on this issue were a bit overboard but it was really noticeable on the title track.

If they drop TWAT, I'd love to see The Garden in its place.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

it sounds like the gunners are well aware they're going to have to bust out the big shit for this tour in order to keep audiences satisfied.

I hope so.

Although it's often the start of a tour where there's a bit of variety.

For instance last year they did Twat in Mexico but by the time they got to Australia the setlist was more fixed.

Like wise if you look at late 2009 vs early 2010 the setlist became more fixed as the tour moved on...dunno why.

I'd love to hear IRS too....but Axl will need to do his AXL/Dc scream on it. It could work - he kinda screamed the vocals at Rock Am Ring 2006 and it ended up kinda cooler than the studio take to me.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd love to hear IRS too....but Axl will need to do his AXL/Dc scream on it. It could work - he kinda screamed the vocals at Rock Am Ring 2006 and it ended up kinda cooler than the studio take to me.

I've always thought the 2006 Rock Am Ring performance of I.R.S. was the best live version of the track ever. Axl's vocals oozed passion and attitude in that performance.

Add in Slash's guitar tone and you've got a track that could have been a single off the theoretical follow up to illusions.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

GNR jammed "Melissa" by the Allman Brothers Band tonight. I need to hear it ASAP!

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

I've always thought the 2006 Rock Am Ring performance of I.R.S. was the best live version of the track ever. Axl's vocals oozed passion and attitude in that performance.

His scream is the only downside.

The mix of that is also awesome with Tommy's bass high in the mix.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

yup, that performance was almost godlike! the beginning was like 3,5/5, but since the first solo, it was full 5/5!

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

yup, that performance was almost godlike! the beginning was like 3,5/5, but since the first solo, it was full 5/5!

This is the best live version of IRS

Closely followed by this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_L6mUQ-xI8

Even DJ was tolerable back then.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I love this one:

I've got to say, they aren't doing the obvious thing with their setlists at the moment. Most bands rattle off a tribute song once, they don't make it a permanent fixture on the setlist. And I did not expect them to start practising Prostitute – of all the Chinese Democracy songs, that's one of the least old-school GN'R ones (maybe Shackler's Revenge and Scraped pip it to the post). IRS, yeah, I could see Slash belting that out. I could even see them busting out Madagascar. But Prostitute?

johndivney wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Fans have wanted set list variety. They played Black Hole Sun!! The reasons for doing it suck of course(death) but no one in a million years could've predicted that they would play that song.

I do agree they're playing at too fast a tempo.

I always thought the complaints on this issue were a bit overboard but it was really noticeable on the title track.

I have been complaining about the set lists since 06, but let me tell you when you're in it it's fucking brilliant. DTJ, Estranged, Coma, Civil War.
But the thing is, you wanna have a wee smoke for DTJ outro, then you want a smoke for Estranged & Coma etc & before long it just becomes a blur, a whirlwind, where you can appreciate it all. It's just that wee bit too fast. It's all over too soon.

Tbh I couldn't even hear Axl all that well on most tracks we were singing along so much. Fuckin BHS was like a communal release. It was a moment of mass grieving. It wasn't even whoa that's awesome they're playing BHS, it was like "fuckin Chris.." it was a classy but inescapably extremely sad moment. It wasn't cool, it was just sorrowful & tragic.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

regarding IRS, I don't think we're near hearing it again. it got dropped from the setlist much earlier than 2016 - last played in 2010. http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/guns- … song=I.R.S.

Board footer