You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

Re: guns n roses record label situation

dalethirsty wrote:

so what's the deal with guns n roses and geffen these days?

i don't recall axl being too happy with the label after chinese democracy came out with zero fanfare. i'd guess things went totally dark after cd 2 was turned in and supposedly rejected.

still, it's baffling how geffen haven't tried to capitalize on this cash grab. i thought for sure we'd see something for afd 30, so perhaps there's still a "cold war" of sorts? you'd think slash and duff being around with be enough to smooth things over.

if the band woke up one day after the tour ended and wanted to release an album, how would that even work?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I am not an expert at this, but if memory serves me correctly GnR owes them one more album.  If that's true, the label is not going to put out some garbage so they can meet their requirements, then shop a reunion album on the free market.  That's my very uneducated guess on the situation.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don't know what's more surprising: the drunken Axl v Fernando accidental release debacle or the fact that the record company actually was cool with releasing Appetite For Democracy.

I'll go with the latter. Dreadful.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I don't know what's more surprising: the drunken Axl v Fernando accidental release debacle or the fact that the record company actually was cool with releasing Appetite For Democracy.

I'll go with the latter. Dreadful.

yeah, the entirety of "appetite for democracy" is a complete joke. i get what they were trying to go for with the name, but it sounds dumb as hell in reality. clearly everyone had just given up at that point. it's such a shame that for all the different incarnations of new guns, the clown show w/ ashba is what they decided to capture and release in 3d blu ray.

anywho... once this tour ends, i'm sure "the label" would support the release of a not in this lifetime dvd. have a few interns chop up a few hours of footage, then release the sucker at rake in the profits. what's to lose?

if that sells well, which it would... that would open up the gate for a single, re-release, etc.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The Record company being the record company is going to try and rip off the band.

Guns N' Roses being Guns N' Roses will try and take the company for all they can get.

Team Brazil being Team Brazil will not have the negotiation experience to resolve this conflict.

Thus we wait....and don't even get a 30th Aniversary AFD let alone new music. Maybe a 10 year SE version of CD next year?

I'll keep waiting.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I am not an expert at this, but if memory serves me correctly GnR owes them one more album.  If that's true, the label is not going to put out some garbage so they can meet their requirements, then shop a reunion album on the free market.  That's my very uneducated guess on the situation.

Sounds about right.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I am not an expert at this, but if memory serves me correctly GnR owes them one more album.

The contract was redrawn amongst Uni, Guns and Azoff, I think. IIRC, it turned out to be a four-album deal.

This would include
- CD (studio album)
- CD Remix (supplementary)
- CD 2 (studio album)
- AFDem (a live release)

So I'm with buzz on the main thing; Axl's contracted for one more album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

They seem to lack the intention.

Record label can't stop them performing a new song live but they don't.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

i don't recall axl being too happy with the label after chinese democracy came out with zero fanfare. i'd guess things went totally dark after cd 2 was turned in and supposedly rejected.

did they really reject CD2? I thought that was all speculation.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

mitchejw wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

did they really reject CD2? I thought that was all speculation.

Didn't MSL say they had a version ("Stay of Execution") with DJ and Bumblefoot ready to go around the time of the reunion? IIRC Axl wanted to release it to showcase the then-current band ahead of the reunion. I could see the record company going "lol no" when they realised the reunion was happening; why release that album when you could slap some Slash and Duff overdubs on it and make ten times as much money? Once that happens, the album gets kicked into the long grass because there's no point pushing an album until the tour sales start flagging. Which will be in at least a year or two; they can keep topping up interest by tweaking the setlist a bit until then.

Board footer