You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Differences between bands ... lack of professionalism and other issues

metallex78 wrote:

Beautiful Disease is an awesome album.

Believe In Me was a bloated drunken babbling mess, whereas Beautiful Disease was Duff back as a focused musician getting back in touch with what inspired him in the first place. And it’s a damn shame that it was never officially released

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Believe In Me was a bloated drunken babbling mess, whereas Beautiful Disease was Duff back as a focused musician getting back in touch with what inspired him in the first place. And it’s a damn shame that it was never officially released

yup, I agree. I really like BiM, but it was more like a rock n' roll booze ride with a slight stench of punk, whereas BD is a sober, much more punkish, serious and darker stuff. the re-recorded tracks at Dark Days sound more steady and a bit polished, less raw than BD. still great stuff. both officially released Loaded live CDs sound excellent as well (Episode 1999: Live and bonus CD of Dark Days which has a Tokyo show, unfortunately the recording has many flaws like clicks and pops).
and then there's the Neurotic Outsiders album and Angelina EP, and also 10 Minute Warning album.
intense stuff. Duff was extremely productive during those few years.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
zombux wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

yup, I agree. I really like BiM, but it was more like a rock n' roll booze ride with a slight stench of punk, whereas BD is a sober, much more punkish, serious and darker stuff. the re-recorded tracks at Dark Days sound more steady and a bit polished, less raw than BD. still great stuff. both officially released Loaded live CDs sound excellent as well (Episode 1999: Live and bonus CD of Dark Days which has a Tokyo show, unfortunately the recording has many flaws like clicks and pops).
and then there's the Neurotic Outsiders album and Angelina EP, and also 10 Minute Warning album.
intense stuff. Duff was extremely productive during those few years.

What was on the Angelina EP? I don’t think I ever saw that released here in Australia. Loved the NO album though. Just imagine that tight, fat rhythm section of Duff and Matt on a new Guns album in 1996 when that came out. That would’ve been killer stuff for Guns

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

Angelina EP and some versions of Jerk single included Neurotic Outsiders' version of Seattle Head, with a bit different lyrics from the later BD version. I love that one, sounds better than BD or DD version, nice drum fills by Matt Sorum there smile
https://www.discogs.com/Neurotic-Outsid … se/3002300

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Besides, Axl’s professionalism is beyond question & has, ironically, unquestionably sullied his legacy. Guy has been phoning in 3hour shows for the past 20years. His spirit has long been squashed by medication, lawyers or “professionalism”. He used to be a beacon & a role model, now he’s just a boring old fart like Elton john or Eddie vedder or stone Gossard or James or Kirk or lars. He’s lost his rock n roll attitude sadly. Maybe it still resides in him somewhere, that’s the only hope we have left. Otherwise if he’s been totally fucked then we’re all totally fucked. We’re hopeless!

The last rock star is probably/maybe already dead inside.

Apex twin is probably able to calculate precisely when the magic broke. Maybe it was around the time when Bucket was lost. I think apex posited the theory of the general helpedturning it into a well oiled touring machine as opposed to a project. But as to who is ultimately to blame well its prob down to a few factors.

Fact is of the matter is we’ve all lost a hero who is currently masquerading, presenting a facsimile. Sad but true..
We’ll always have that life time of Axl ‘85/6-‘02/3. He was heroic then. Full of bullshit professionalism now. A betrayal & an embarrassment to GnR is what he is these days.

I think you're pretty spot on with this...

Didn't someone once say rock n' roll is a young man's game? I think it would be hard to keep up that pace and energy even if you were as talented as Axl.

But Slash said it best, everything that makes Axl frustrating as a human being is what makes him an amazing performer and talent. You can't separate the two. Axl was never the guy in the board room rubbing elbows with record execs or sucking up to corporate fucks.

He'd be a sell out if he did. The only way a band with as many problems as Gn'R had makes it to the top....is because they are legit head and shoulders above the rest. You can't behave like or engage in these types of antics and be average. You'd never make it past the first step.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Hate to give the guy any credit for anything but seems Axl just said "Fuck it" at that moment he took him on.

Yep. The moment Ashba walked through the door I knew he had abandoned the project.

apex-twin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDM5-deNCO0

A little rant upfront and Axl, very light on his feet.

That was great. Haven't watched a 2006 vid in a long time.

That lineup comes across as more awkward in hindsight. The lineup has no personality. It's just THERE.

Guarantee 90% of the crowd has no idea who any of them are. Maybe Tommy.

It just highlights one of the problems Axl was dealing with.

FlashFlood wrote:

2006 Axl was 4 years too late and 10 years too early.

#sadbuttrue

slcpunk wrote:

When I see smaller bands like Slaughter or Faster Pussycat etc I almost feel sorry for them. Sure maybe some of them are still having a load of fun, but mostly they look worn the eff out to me and just trying to make it.

It IS sad.

Marq Torien playing Smooth Up In Ya in a bowling alley because he's got overdue child support doesn't really inspire anyone and probably deflates the nostalgia balloons in the room.

Same when LA Guns play pizza parlors.

apex-twin wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

I like 2006 better than now to be honest. Sure Slash and Duff are great, but 2006 OWNED.

The music's clearer now with two guitarists, but... Slash, Duff and Melissa in the 2006 band, man. That would've made a hungry band even better.

It would've made Chinese Democracy better too.

Board footer