You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

Smoking Guns wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Tbh it’s more effort than I was expecting, but it is still far less than what AFD & GnR deserve.

Far less? What more could they possibly do with AFD? Other than the pricing, its essentially best case scenario. Yeah there's a couple things hardcores might want added(Nightrain outro you mentioned, YCBM, etc.) but they've pretty much liquidated the AFD vault for this release. They even dug into Lies for the box set.

If i want to critique - well there's things missing from this set that I would have liked and I hope see the light some other time - specifically I would have liked cleaned up versions of some of those other early Axl demos like "Too Much Too Soon", "Cornshucker" and "Crash Diet".

As already mentioned, this stuff will probably be used on future Lies/UYI special editions/box sets.

I wonder if SOYL makes its way on to the live set this summer?

Probably. The song was probably cherry picked for a reason.

Please God let SOYL replace that fucking shit turd song by The Who called "The Seeker".  Fuck that trash song.  Jesus Christ.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

As already mentioned, this stuff will probably be used on future Lies/UYI special editions/box sets.

The Lies box set IS this AFD box set.

They just remastered and rereleased 7 of the 8 lies tracks....the only one skipped being One In a Million that Axl has long said he will start leaving off of future pressings. So i can't see a future lies box coming out and the main selling point is remastered OIAM.

Also not much else they could throw in a  second disc is there? Maybe same stuff without the audience noise, and then OIAM a few more times hahah.

I think this release is AFD/Lies as one box set - and just please no one mention OIAM hahaha....

The next stop will be the UYI box set. I'd love to hope crash diet will be a part of that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Which 2 lead guitar tones are most similar.

I hear what you mean for sure.

The only real question though is why they are similar.

Option 1: They sound the same because it's a modern solo recorded now played on Slash's current rig rather than his GNR one.

Option 2: It's something to do with the way they EQ things in mixing these days or modern mastering.  Thus what a 1986 recording and a 2014 recording would have in common was that they were both released after being run through modern equipment before release. Whereas the GNR songs are not remastered. One way to test that theory though would be when the AFD remasters come out. Will all the solos on the record sound like shadow - or will they sound as they always have.

It's certainly interesting.

I think the vocals are from the 80s though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Not a fucking chance in hell that happens. That ship has officially sailed with this AFD: SDE release. Like I alluded to earlier before the reveal, more than likely the bonuses would be GN'R Lies, minus OIAM. And that's basically what they're doing. I can't imagine them going back and double-dipping, unless they re-release Lies as a one-disc set, with re-mastered tracks, next year or the year after, for those who didn't buy the Super Deluxe Edition. Still don't see it happen, because... well... that would make sense, and this is GN'R.

I can imagine the label wanting a double dip here. Same with the band. Why not? It would be easy to do, wouldn't cost much to put together, and its basically free money.

Any type of Lies release will be on a much smaller scale. There's simply not much to work with.  Soundgarden's box sets saw a bit of double dipping on demos and this was a band with a shit ton of material to work with.

Did you check out the Ultramega OK release last year? Something on that level is what I would imagine for Lies...or even TSI.

Ultramega OK

The album with bonus tracks:

Head Injury (Early Version)
Beyond the Wheel (Early Version)
Incessant Mace (Short) [Early Version]
He Didn't (Early Version)
All Your Lies (Early Version)
Incessant Mace (Long) [Early Version]

Lies remaster cd

bonus disc:

Cornchucker
Move to the City acoustic
Mama Kin demo
Patience/Used to Love Her live CBGB
Patience live AMA
You're Crazy live Late Show

If they decide to exclude OIAM from the album, while I wouldn't be fond of its exclusion, its a way to help promote it.

Wrap that in cellophane and it'll move a decent amount of copies. Toss the original Lies album OOP and remove from Spotify, Rhapsody, Itunes, etc. and the new release becomes THE album.

This AFD re-release will be an all-incompassing chronicle of the AFD-era and it's lineup of the classic 5.

Yeah this is obviously the big enchilada that fans and the album itself have needed for years. We will never see anything like this for AFD again. In the words of Michael Jackson.....This is it.

Lies won't see a re-release. One In A Million will go the way of being that 'lost track' that diehard fans love, but never see the day again,

The only way it can become "lost" is if we ever see a release with its exclusion. Yeah its not on this box set but it didn't have to/need to be on it. Only hardcore fans will notice its missing here.

Next up..Use Your Illusion. Imho...

This could potentially be a massive undertaking that could take years. While AFD is their most iconic album, the meat of the vault has UYI written all over it. I hope they are already working on it.

UYI remasters

UYI rough mixes that Slash has said shits all over the polished albums

TONS of UYI demos, many we've never heard

The Adler demos

rehearsals with Adam Maples and Martin Chambers(if recorded obviously)

the lengthy rehearsals with Sorum which were mentioned in RIP back in the day

demos like Crash Diet, Bring It Back Home, etc.

Literally hundreds of concerts that can be cherry picked of the best song performances(a Live Era disc on steroids)

live performances such as 89 VMA with Petty,  91 VMAs, 92 VMAs, the NYE performance with Gilby, the three HTGTH warm up shows, the infamous rehearsals in the hangar, Axl performance with Bono, Axl HOF with Springsteen

old interviews with various members of the band leading up to UYI's release, including insane footage at record stores at midnight

news footage regarding the riot, Izzy pissing on an airplane(this was on CNN), Axl's neighbor drama, the AMA drunk fiasco

the all star RIP party show

The Perfect Crime documentary

Imagine having to tackle all that and encompass the whole era in one set

This is probably the ONLY GN'R release we'll see for years until they decide to touch Use Your Illusion in five years, or do something completely un-expected, and actually *gasp* -- record new music.

I disagree. I think they're taking it in a Soundgarden/Metallica direction and realize now is the time to start raking in money on material that has literally been rotting in a vault for decades.

While the music industry sucks now, there's no better time than the present to make money off of your core audience with anniversary, special edition, and box set releases. GNR could double the size of their discography the next few years without recording a single second of new music.

If this is the direction its going, I now understand why they didn't bother with a new 2 cd GH/Best of in 2016-17. Projects like this were being planned.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The next stop will be the UYI box set. I'd love to hope crash diet will be a part of that.

Main thing with Illusion remaster would be to live up to the hype Slash gave us over the years. He said the raw mixes were a hell of a lot better than the final studio version. Would be cool if they can remaster it to the level he mentioned.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

They just remastered and rereleased 7 of the 8 lies tracks....the only one skipped being One In a Million that Axl has long said he will start leaving off of future pressings. So i can't see a future lies box coming out and the main selling point is remastered OIAM.

Also not much else they could throw in a  second disc is there? Maybe same stuff without the audience noise, and then OIAM a few more times hahah.

I think this release is AFD/Lies as one box set - and just please no one mention OIAM hahaha....

I've seen no mention of this being a Lies box set. It also has UYI tracks. Its not a UYI box set either.

Just because it contains Lies tracks doesn't mean we'll never see a Lies remaster/special edition.

Soundgarden's Echo of Miles box set contained some Superunknown demos. There was also a Superunknown box set.

A band with a smaller discography is even more likely to double dip than they were.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Oh, man, I would geek out more for a UYI box set than AFD. It would have to come with a serious concert/doc DVD collection.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

This discussion about erasing One In A Million from the history books...scary as shit. Hilarious too that Axl is pulling this crap. He talked one time about how he visited China for a few months because he wanted to go there before releasing Chinese Democracy and getting banned by the government from stepping foot in that country again.

It's even funnier coming from a band that was all about telling society to go fuck itself. Now I'm paranoid. The only version of GN'R Lies that I own is the iTunes copy. I'm going to download a FLAC torrent right now so I can have a lossless copy of One In A Million. It's a great fucking song, regardless of the controversial lyrics. Screw Axl or anyone else who wants to censor it from the history books.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The market dictates a lot but this is handled semi-tastefully.

They could've released the $150 Deluxe Edition first and tested hardcores' resolve. Then released the 2CD a year down the road. But you're getting options, you can get AFD if you want it, the 2CD if you want it, and so on so forth.

The $1000 box set disgusts me on a personal level but if you want to blow a grand on it be my guest.

I'm not sure why Don't Cry and those aren't included for consistency. These were written and recorded then so should be on it. This is less AFD Anniversary and more the GNR v1 box set. My guess is that was recorded at a different studio and is a rights issue. Or they're simply they're holding it back for the UYI.

When are we getting "Yellow Brick Road to Compton"? I've been waiting decades...

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

As far as a Lies remaster/SE thing goes, my memory ain't what it used to be. I forget where I read it... I'm thinking The Most Dangerous Band In The World by Mick Wall maybe, but I specifically remember reading that the session(s) that were actually used on the acoustic half of GN'R Lies actually replaced the original recordings they did that, (someone) claimed, pissed all over the tracks that were released. So they'll definitely do a separate thing for it. No doubt in my mind.

I'd love to be able to afford the big AFD box.
Truly.
My all time favorite album.
But Jesus Christ.  Maybe if I hadn't already spent at least that much money before the internet was a thing buying/replacing Appetite on vinyl, cassette and compact disc...
It makes me kinda feel bad, really. At 39 years old, I should have enough money in the fucking bank where I could blow a grand on something like this without completely fucking myself.
It's cool the vault is finally getting officially emptied, though. Even if they're getting all Gene Simmons-y about it. They're squeezing every possible penny they can out of us, and they couldn't even bother to put together an E.P. of new shit together after 2 years on the road. Every single one of their contemporaries are still writing and recording, in addition to celebrating their past.
The Metallica Remasters are the perfect example of what they should have done (pricing too), but they don't have the back catalog Tallica has, so they really have to milk this one.
I'm a broken record, but after the great show I attended 2 years ago, where I dropped almost $400 between tickets and merch, I'm done giving this band my money until they release newly recorded music. I don't care when it was written, I just want tracks I've never heard.
Think A Different Kind Of Truth...
Sure, Ed wrote the shit 40 years ago, but it was new to us, right?
Between 1985-2018 There must be a dozen tracks already written that the current lineup could bang out with Nick Raskulinecz or someone in a couple of months, right?
What I want is a Year And A Half style  making of UYI doc.
I want the UYI demos with Adler. (Shit, I want every track with Adler... I want him in the current lineup.)
What I want is a Live Era Box. With DVDs/CDs of full shows from '85-93
Same goes for 2001-2008
I want TSI with Izzy.
I want the Nu-GNR AFD.
I want 2000 Intentions.
Give me all the songs/demos recorded between 1994 and 2008.
What I want is proof that any of the drama was worth it.
I've worshiped this band since I was 13 years old.
There was a time when I thought these guys had some integrity, and the older I get, the more perspective I gain. The more I see...
Even back then. Hindsight.
What I want is any fucking indication that any of it...
The break-up.
The reunion.
Really anything even remotely associated with Guns N' Roses... From the beginning...
Has been about anything other than fucking money.
I don't have much hope.

Board footer